Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sales Tax Exempt??  (Read 5468 times)
shawnster8

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »

Right now I'm looking to purchase a Honda Rancher in a week or two.  I've been looking around and one dealer I went to last week told me that if I'm using it for hunting then I'll be exempt from paying sales tax.  Well, I will be using it for hunting.  Today I went to another dealer price checking and they went to give me an "out the door" price and it had sales tax on it.  I mentioned what the other place told me last week and they said that if I was "tax exempt" then I couldn't get it registered and would get a big fine if caught riding on legal dirt roads without it being registered.  Now, the last atv I've had was back in '95 and I sold it a few years later.  I did'nt know anything about having them registered and all that.  So my question is...when you get it registered is there a sticker you put on your atv somewhere like a car?  Can you still register it and be tax exempt too?  I will be using it for hunting but will also do some trail riding and will be on a public dirt road from time to time.  Thanks.
bocephus300

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:03 PM »

i couldn't tell you anything about being tax exempt. but, when you get it registered they will give you a off road reg. sticker kinda like a car, just bigger. hope it helps.

2006 outlander 800
27 laws
2006 forman 500
26 laws
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:15 AM »

from what i know as long as u get a title then u can get the sticker. now a dealer is supposed to register it for you when u by it and with it being tax exempt they might not register it for u. but idk how that works but if u get the title u can just go down to the tax collection/title place and just tell them u need to register it show them the title and they should do it...

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:09 AM »

Being tax exempt does not block from you any privlages of someone who was not tax exempt. If you purchase an ATV legally then you may register it. The fact that you were not forced to pay tax does not remove your legal right to fair use of your ATV.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

http://www.ltr450hq.net

Steven Billington #29
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »

The sales tax exempt is for farmers not hunters
 1 you have to own 5 ac or more
  2 it voids your warrnty with some manyfactures
  3 you cant get a sticker because its only for use on the farm
   4 DOF nor USFS wont give you a permit either
 been there done this

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:50:57 AM »

So because you buy it for farm use you cant have any possibility of legally registering it for use elsewhere? Sounds like total BS, or a lawsuit waiting to happen. Do we not pay more for the sticker? So how is it their right to say that we cant purchase a sticker because we did not have to pay sales tax? If you can show the majority of the use is for the exemption purpose then who are they to hinder fair use of your atv?

And my understanding is the exemption does apply to hunters. Though i could be wrong.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

Steven Billington #29
auctioneer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 04:09:28 PM »

I didnt write the rule the State of Fl did and as far as I know it doesnt apply to hunters Thats what they said at dealer training

2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660
Anoriginal

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »

Go back to that dealer and put your foot in his azz. Using it for hunting doesn't make it tax exempt. That's actually humorous.

He's an idiot. You can tell him I said so.
shawnster8

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »

I had the first dealer to say it did apply to hunting.  The second dealer said only farming.  They both said that if I was exempt from sales tax then I had to sign a form saying I would ride it only on private land and it wouldn't be resistered.  I told them both that I would use it mostly for hunting but would also be trail riding in the summer too.  The first dealer said that I would not have to pay tax on it, and the second dealer said that I wouldn't have to pay tax if I signed the form and said I was using it for farming (which I'm not), but if I wanted to ride it on legal public dirt roads just go ahead and pay the tax and resistration fee.
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »

I guess it makes sense, sorta. Just seems kind of wrong. Apparently the first dealer isnt the only misinformed party, i asked someone before i replied to auction and he was convinced it was ok for hunting as well. Seems we both learned something.

Steven Billington #29
shawnster8

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:36:14 PM »

I guess to make sure my butt is covered later, I'm gonna go ahead and pay the sales tax and pay the registration.  I little bit of money could save me alot of money and headaches later.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

some dealers are hurting right now and will say anything to get a sale. it is not them getting fined later when you get busted for not paying taxes. everyone here is right though when they say it is for agricultural use only that exempts tax.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com