Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my computer is a slow pos, help  (Read 10695 times)
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2008, 08:51:44 PM »

Ever since i downloaded this game (4x4 evolution) off of a torrent site, my computer has been a total turd. it refuses to load anything from google and certain other sites. and is slow with everything. i ran a scan with AVG and it cleared some stuff but its still slow. cant do a system restore because it happened the last day of last month. also my audio device was infected so now i have no sound, anyone know where i can download a new audio device or whatever it is to give me sound again. im not smart at all with computers, so please help me.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:53:12 PM »

oh I forgot, its a dell with windows xp.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:07:57 PM »

Dont know about the other stuff but I think the sound thing just happens with those computers.  On mine the sound only works about half of the time.  If its not working I restart the comp and it works again. 

05 kx 250f
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 01:02:31 AM »

Sounds like the system needs a full cleanup and the sound drivers put back in place. I own Computer Medic, we are based in the cape so you arent too far from me. I wont be out in Naples for almost two weeks but if you are going to bee up near me i'll take care of it free just give me a yell.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

http://www.ltr450hq.net

Steven Billington #29
quadracer1992
Supreme Member

***Anthony*** **FF+J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »

Dont download from torrent sites! Especially not something like Limewire. I have a Dell with windows xp and made the same mistake, I downloaded Limewire. The sound thing is just a Dell thing I believe and you can normally restart the PC,That happens to me about once every few months. What I did that seemed to fix my computer, after it got completely wiped out by viruses, was I inserted a disk the computer came with that re-installed the operating system. Then I got a very good virus protection program and nothing has ever happened to my computer since.

~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:17:53 AM »

Torrent and P2P programs are completely fine, its all about selecting the torrents that have good feedback and having good, up to date antivirus such as AVG running. The trick to limewire is to find the mp3's and such that have proper spelling, punctuation, and grammer. The people uploading true music take the time to be organized and neat.

I use BT and LW all day pretty much every single day, and i never have any issues. It is no more dangerous then anything else. It's like crossing the street, sure it can be very bad, thats why your supposed to look twice before you walk.

2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Yellow - CB, Lid, Baffle, Moose filter, Moose Nerfs, Pro Taper atvmid bars, DG National bumper, MXR6's w/ Beadlocks, pbrake removed, clutch switch gone. Currently apart for hc piston, intake cam, p&p, and more!

Steven Billington #29
quadracer1992
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »

You just made me feel very stupid, then again my web design teacher is the one who told me this he said limewire is no good anything thats advertised as free has some sort of price.

~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »

You just made me feel very stupid, then again my web design teacher is the one who told me this he said limewire is no good anything thats advertised as free has some sort of price.

Scan it before you open it.  I get everything off of limewire, haven't had a problem yet.  You can also make sure it's not a backdoor trojan by making sure it is bigger than 2MBs or something.  A trojan/virus will be like 450KBs

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »

lime wire screwed it up bad a while ago but i got rid of it and a scan got rid of a ton of spy ware. now i use it torrent, music normally is fine, but i guess games i should scan first. and the sound is not what you guys are thinking, you dont have to restart it, just go to control pannel and click on sound and audio devices and unmute it. i thought that was the problem but when i went to unmute it, it says no audio device, and when i went into my programs "soundmax" was gone so i guess it was one of the files infected with a virus so the scan deleted my audio device. i need to download a new one.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 04:38:35 PM »

http://downloads.emachines.com/drivers/audio/AC97_5_10_0_5080.zip

GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »

Ever since i downloaded this game (4x4 evolution) off of a torrent site, my computer has been a total turd. it refuses to load anything from google and certain other sites. and is slow with everything. i ran a scan with AVG and it cleared some stuff but its still slow. cant do a system restore because it happened the last day of last month. also my audio device was infected so now i have no sound, anyone know where i can download a new audio device or whatever it is to give me sound again. im not smart at all with computers, so please help me.

well did you play the game?

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

That is a generic audio file and will not usually work with dell. Dell likes to use one of three audio devices: intel onboard, turtle beach, and sound blaster.

@ OP:

I dont think a restart will help you at all, you need the drivers. What model is the Dell? For example Dimension XXXX.

Insert Quote

You were misinformed, you should not feel stupid. This is the problem with the IT industry is that these days anyone who can login to myspace is a computer expert and knows everything there is to know. They take this attitude and spread their idiocy like a virus until someone who knows better corrects it =] Do not feel bad, your teacher is either a moron or is clueless himself. I deal with it all day long, as do alot of IT professionals.

Customer: I already restarted it, that wont work.
Me: (restarting pc)
Customer: I'm paying you to fix it. My son is a computer genius and he said it needs a new (insert cool sounding part here)
Me: Your computer is fixed now. It just needed to be restarted after the updates.
Customer: So......no new part?
Me: No new part.

Steven Billington #29
quadracer1992
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 11:48:42 PM »

That is a generic audio file and will not usually work with dell. Dell likes to use one of three audio devices: intel onboard, turtle beach, and sound blaster.

@ OP:

I dont think a restart will help you at all, you need the drivers. What model is the Dell? For example Dimension XXXX.

Insert Quote

You were misinformed, you should not feel stupid. This is the problem with the IT industry is that these days anyone who can login to myspace is a computer expert and knows everything there is to know. They take this attitude and spread their idiocy like a virus until someone who knows better corrects it =] Do not feel bad, your teacher is either a moron or is clueless himself. I deal with it all day long, as do alot of IT professionals.

Customer: I already restarted it, that wont work.
Me: (restarting pc)
Customer: I'm paying you to fix it. My son is a computer genius and he said it needs a new (insert cool sounding part here)
Me: Your computer is fixed now. It just needed to be restarted after the updates.
Customer: So......no new part?
Me: No new part.

Hahahahaha that's hilarious! I'm not like that kid though but yeah my teacher kind of is a moron like he designed my schools website, and I designed one ten times better in like 3 weeks with no broken links, collapsible panels, flash animations, I mean the whole nine yards.

~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »

You know what they say, those that cant do, teach

Steven Billington #29
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 02:02:39 PM »

@ OP:

yea i just went on my brothers computer and found that on google real quick and posted it to try it since google wont work on my computer, it wouldnt download anyway. as for the model, it says optiplex gx260.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:12 PM »

http://www.download.com/Sound-Blaster-PCI-512-Driver-Update-Windows-2000-XP-/3000-2120_4-10163630.html
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »

computer too slow to load page, il try this.

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2120_4-10163630&ontId=2120_4&spi=ee61b5152056840b49893c4c37a75416&lop=link&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=10163631&mfgId=71758&merId=71758&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.download.com%2F3001-2120_4-10163631.html%3Fspi%3Dee61b5152056840b49893c4c37a75416
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »

Sh!t , thats just an update. can anyone get me a link to download a sound card, or am i gona have to pay for it?

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 05:31:24 PM »

this should take care of it

clicky

Steven Billington #29
backinsaddle

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »

why don't you do a system restore:

>programs>accessories>system tools>restore.

pick a date prior to the limewire download and restore. 
Nukinfuts

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 05:40:07 PM »

Most computers wipe the previous months restore points automatically.

In any even those are the dell issued drivers for your machine, and should work. If not we will go from there. If need be ill do a remote assist for you.

Steven Billington #29
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »

I HAVE SOUND AGAIN!!! thanks alot for all the help nukinfuts.

and no i never got to play the game.

oh and my computer is still realy slow, any suggestions on that anyone?

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 07:58:39 PM »

what do you make of this?  a few further down say virus found win32/huer and the rest are trojans and adware.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »

damnit, it wont upload a screenshot of my scan results...  one result says:

found registry key with reference to infected file C:/documents and settings/administrator/xrt_ioxk.exe

then a few viruses and a ton of adware and trojans as said above.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 12:53:51 AM »

try this site. its a free scan and it gives u tip on how to remove things or fixes it for you... been helpful for me many of times!

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com