Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need electrical help asap  (Read 1811 times)
bigwake

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »

i just got a new bike..not a quad, but a 1999 yamaha v star 1100 cruiser..i got it for a steal because the owner said it had a minor electrical problem.  He claims he's had the bike for some time and the battery died.  he put a new one in and it wont hold the charge when you ride it (like it died after he put it in while he was riding).  He claims he took it to a mechanic and he said something about a reg/rectifier so we expected that COULD be the problem.  the battery was in new condition but it buldged like crazy and look outta shape..we read some articles about this and it said our problem was either stator, battery, reg, or grounded wire.  So we charged the battery over night and checked it with a volt meter. it read 13.6 when it sould be between 12.2-12.9 so it checked out as being "bad".the battery just clicked when we tried to start it so it didn't have enough power to turn but all the lights worked and horn, except for one blinker. (maybe a bulb).so we jumped it again and checked the volts with it running and with it revved to 3k (as this one article said to do) and the volts read as they shoudl 14.2-14.9 which means the stator is good because it's giving power back to the battery..we then shut it off and checked the circuit by testing the volt meter to the pos/neg wires (no battery on it) and i guess it checked out that the regulator/rectifier was good..so we put in a factory OEM battery and it was the same as the one in their..so we figured it would be good..the bike started right up. and now the blinker was fine and all lights still worked good..we rode it around for about 30 mins and all seemed good...so now we are just waiting to see if the battery holds the charge, but we hooked it up to a trickle charge anyway..i guess after some time we will just keep checking the battery to see if it's buldging...and if not..i guess it was a bad battery? maybe the guy messed it up somehow? he wasn't the most "in-tune" guy i'd bought a bike from. so if theres any other suggestions anyone can throw, please do..thanx
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 09:33:26 AM »

There could be a few problems, on thing you can do to track down a draw is with everything off unhook the pos. cable to the battery, then put a test light (or preferably an amp meter) between the pos. cable and the pos post on the battery if you have a considerable amount of current (or a light come on) start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes off or the current goes down to help narrow your search down.  Not to sound stupid here but I am assuming the bike has a fuse or relay panel. 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
bigwake

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »

fuse boxes but what would you consider a considerable number? my volt meter is digital and when i did that tes i believe it was a 3 or 4? or maybe .3 or .4

thanx 4 the info
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »

This diagram is off of another manual.  .01 to about .03 would be ok.  But .3 or .4 would be a little high and 3 or 4 is way high.  Start pulling fuses one at a time to see which one stops the draw.  That will narrow your search down.  Also on your multimeter make sure you are on the amp setting. 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com