Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Five airlifted from 41st & Krome  (Read 13861 times)
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 11:33:27 PM »

Wait a minute, this spot is EAST of Krome? haHAha, anyway I suppose you can enter from Krome and head east to where they were trapped and fighting for life? Provided it isn't on fire I mean..

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Turboderf
Supreme Member

**HONDA** WARRANTY **SUCKS**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 02:09:03 AM »

WOW what a nice looking reporter  Wink
Anoriginal

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »

I was lost at croom for like 3 days. My GPS broke and I forgot to charge my cell phone. Nobody came looking for me.  Sad

HA HA HA!! That's funny right there.  (And here I thought I was the only one who got lost in Croom....in the parking lot.)  Wink
Turk

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »

First time I heard about this happening.The bill for the air rescue chopper is not cheap,wonder if they will have to pick up the bill for that.

06 Sportsman 500 HO
With Some Mods
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »

First time I heard about this happening.The bill for the air rescue chopper is not cheap,wonder if they will have to pick up the bill for that.

They certainly should. That was as uncalled for as it gets. From the coverage on TV you  would think they were in the middle of the swamp and one was missing a limb from a big old gator.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Turk

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »

I dunno how I missed the news report on that one,was it on chanel 7 news and the other local stations?? Remember the buggy fire last year that spark a few thousand acres on fire out in 3A?? They sent that guy a bill to the tune about $40,000....wowsers!!! Yes they all should split the rescue chopper bill between them,That chopper couldve been  needed in a real serious emergency while it was busy pulling them out where they were.

06 Sportsman 500 HO
With Some Mods
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »

I dunno how I missed the news report on that one,was it on chanel 7 news and the other local stations?? Remember the buggy fire last year that spark a few thousand acres on fire out in 3A?? They sent that guy a bill to the tune about $40,000....wowsers!!! Yes they all should split the rescue chopper bill between them,That chopper couldve been  needed in a real serious emergency while it was busy pulling them out where they were.

It was on all the channels for two days. You can watch it on CH 10 online: http://www.local10.com/news/16028933/detail.html?rss=mia&psp=news

Funny stuff, "we ran out of battery.." LMAO

foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »

Wait a minute, this spot is EAST of Krome? haHAha, anyway I suppose you can enter from Krome and head east to where they were trapped and fighting for life? Provided it isn't on fire I mean..

The other end of theoreticcal NW 41 st on the Krome ave side, is an old survey road thats 200yds long going east. The dirt road is about 1/2 mile north of an old ATT microwave site .
There's a new gate which was installed last year and wasted posted last time
I drove by.
Its not easy riding out there ,when wet its mostly airboats only and as for ridin anywhere near the prison ...I wouldn't but thats just me.

The down side to this story , as if there is a positive side to it, is the unwanted exposure . You can bet your a$$ , there will more enforcement out there along with the county trying to plug the access holes with rocks from the nearby mine. Dumb kids need to stay home and play electronic games or have fun texting each other. Next the boat access will get posted. Angry

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »

The other end of theoreticcal NW 41 st on the Krome ave side, is an old survey road thats 200yds long going east. The dirt road is about 1/2 mile north of an old ATT microwave site .
There's a new gate which was installed last year and wasted posted last time
I drove by.
Its not easy riding out there ,when wet its mostly airboats only and as for ridin anywhere near the prison ...I wouldn't but thats just me.

The down side to this story , as if there is a positive side to it, is the unwanted exposure . You can bet your a$$ , there will more enforcement out there along with the county trying to plug the access holes with rocks from the nearby mine. Dumb kids need to stay home and play electronic games or have fun texting each other. Next the boat access will get posted. Angry

I know exactly where you are talking about. Didn't they block the boat ramps on the west side by the tower already?  I guess if you head south down the gravel road on the east side of Macks you will reach it....

foreman1

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 07:12:55 PM »

"I know exactly where you are talking about. Didn't they block the boat ramps on the west side by the tower already?  I guess if you head south down the gravel road on the east side of Macks you will reach it...."

There's allways a way around , just depends on how motivated you are .
The bridge crossing the canal is closed, at times the lock was only there for looks. Roll Eyes

NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185
trx#9
Supreme Member

Manager at Seaman's Sausage House and Adult Movies

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 07:30:47 PM »

I was lost at croom for like 3 days. My GPS broke and I forgot to charge my cell phone. Nobody came looking for me.  Sad

HA HA HA!! That's funny right there.  (And here I thought I was the only one who got lost in Croom....in the parking lot.)  Wink
I also been lost in the fuzzy pickle VIP room for days. Embarrassed

"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
 Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!
backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 07:46:08 PM »

when i was 16 i took my truck out in the woods after i just got a lift and new tires it was during those hurricanes anyhoo i got so fricken stuck i couldnt believe it [water comin in thru the open windows  Crap] anyhoo it was just gettin dark i didnt have shoes flashlight or any of that just a drink Drink anyhoo my parents told me to walk outta there and call em when i got to my friends house on the main road roughly 1-2 miles thru the woods in the dark while it was raining needless to say im still alive

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »

Now I understand.

It does look like a great place to ride that you could walk to the gas station from....

Those ae some crazy looking crop circles. HAHAHA

m0n0x1d3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

Nice arial.The circles are the well fields and the lakes are in the rock mine I work in.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

Nice arial.The circles are the well fields and the lakes are in the rock mine I work in.

Cool, I was wondering about those. You have got to download google earth and look at the whole area!

stonny9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »

That happened to 3 of us last year.  Story below.  Excuse the mudding terminology explanition as it was origionally posted on a car site.

05/05/2007
cliffs at bottom.

Went atving in the everglades(south of mile marker 39 on the alley for those familar) sunday with my brother in law and 4 other people we left at 10am. A couple hours in and several miles out 3 decide that they should go back as one of them is sucking down gas and getting low. Now it's just me(06 sportsman 500 efi) with 2 gallon of extra gas, my brother in law(mike arctic cat 600?), and another guy(danny yamaha 4x4 sport quad). Keep in mind my brother in law is basically the guide as we dont know where anything is and he used to ride where we are and knows the general direction of the "camps" more like houses with generators and is also drinking beer. About an hour later we decide to head back and my brother in law leads the way. It gets worse and worse as we ride and the other atv tracks start diminishing.
Here is where we get stuck for an hour. I hit a big mud pit hidden in the 6 foot tall sawgrass. Then my brother in law gets stuck 20' directly to my left. My winch cable snapped as I tried to pull my brother in law out to get me out. We decide to try and pull me through the mud with danny's 4x4 sport quad as it is to hard to go backwards. After snatching(u hook up a strap to both quads and get a running start to allow momentium to help u) me several times I get out. Danny and I then use both of our quads to snatch Mike out. Mike gets out then we continue on our way.
We are now riding through 7 foot sawgrass with an occasional opening here and there and me leading to knock down the sawgrass as I have the best traction. We finally see a radio tower at least 5 miles out and start heading towards it we know it is next to the highway. I start to sputter so I add 1/2 gallon gas to mine and 1/4 gallon to danny leaving 1.25 gallons left. It is now getting dark and we begin to see the lights of a rec/rest area and decide to head to them which is the same direction as the radio tower we saw an hour earlier. I again start to sputter as I am sucking down gas knocking down the sawgrass so I dump a 1/2 gallon in mine and 1/4 in danny's and none in my brother in laws as he is still good.
It is now dark and I am leading but cant see to good as I wear glasses and only brought my perscription sunglasses and had to take them off. The headlights dont do to good as there is sawgrass everywhere and it is so dark u cant see 2' in front of u without lights. I see a mud trench at the last second and my atv stops when I hit it but I keep going head first into the front rack. Immediately I see a white particle go flying and put my hand up to my mouth. I am bleeding a pretty good amount from my mouth and find a piece of my front tooth in my hand. For the next 10 minutes all u here from me is "fu(k" over and over with an occasional "I broke my tooth". At this point danny calls his boss(ex coast guard) as he lives 15 minutes away from where we think the lights are. Mike calls his wife to tell her then I get the phone and explain it as he isnt fully coherant but is getting there as he has been out of beer for at least an hour.
Danny's boss gets there and we figure out that we ae heading to the boat ramp/rec area that has the fire station. Danny's boss says he's gonna go the get the fire department as their station is at the lights that we are headed to. About 25 mins after we stopped because of my accident we continue on with me using the last 1/2 gallon of extra gas. Danny's boss calls back and says that the sheriff is sending out the chopper for support and to possibly guid us with a light.
I finally run out of gas so we abandon mine in the middle of 8' sawgrass as we cant pull it. We got another 3/4 to 1 mile before Mike ran out of gas. We called in that we now had abandoned 2 bikes and 2 of us were now on foot. I was walking through sawgrass in shorts, a tshirt, and worn out sneakers with no socks or insoles. Danny continued to blaze a trail as best he could as we walked behind him estimating that we were about 1.5 miles out. The sawgrass finally got too thick and we got to tired of pushing the quad so we left it and all 3 of us continued on foot a least a mile out with the chopper showing up at this time. After 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile we came to an airboat trail that went straight to the boat ramp where the lights were. We finally got to the boat ramp at about 12ish midnight. Micosukie(sp?) police officer was standing by with a m-14 to scare/shoot the gators if necessary as we had to wade across 3 f of water.

Today we got 4 quads together and backtracked our tracks to get the quads. Last quad abandoned was 1.2 miles, second one was 1.6, and mine was 2.5 miles.

PICS HERE OF MY TEETH http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522166

Cliffs: went atving in the everglades @ 10 am, 3 of us left group to go out more, drunk brother in law lead us in wrong direction, snapped winch cable I broke one of my front upper teeth, family called fire rescue and a chopper was sent out, ran out of gas and had to walk 1.5 miles through 8' sawgrass getting in at 12 midnight when we left at 10am.

Sold
2005 Brute Force 750 IRS w/mud bitches

2006 Sportsman 500 EFI w/mud bitches
Anoriginal

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »

Um, well......that's just the most retarded thing I've ever read. You should sell your quad and never tell this story again. Oh for natural selection....  Huh
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:43:06 PM by Anoriginal » Logged
backinsaddle

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »

Um, well......that's just the most retarded thing I've ever read. You should sell your quad and never tell this story again. Oh for natural selection....  Huh

i'm glad you said it Huh Huh
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

this past fall or so, me and 4x4matt got stuck out at holey lands 6 miles out.  It was right when it started to dry up and we just got REALLY really really stuck, no chance of getting out.  This was at 11pm.  I fought my bike trying to get it out until about 2 am, mind you it was 50 degrees taht night.  No jackets, just waders and short sleeve shirts.  His bike the engine was siezed.  I was just trying to get my bike out so we could at least sleep in the truck or out of danger (gators).

In the end, we ended up starting the bike for warmth (it was freezing) and slept out there (on the bikes) until 6am (when the sun came up), then we walked all the way back (YES, it was 6 miles, it took us about 1.5hrs, the track that pulled us out in the AM tracked the miles, he said it's accurate, I'm taking his word for it).  We hit the levee and found a hunter with a track, he offered to take us back to the bikes and get them unstuck...so we did.

We didn't call fire rescue, we WERE in imminent danger, we didn't have cell phones, we didn't cry out to fire rescue.  Maybe we are just more stupid for not calling them, but I didn't see the need to.  I thought about it jokingly, but we didn't have a cellphone to call either.

BTW, this was a planed night ride and everyone knew we weren't coming back until the AM anyway...so no one else triggered the EMS system for us.

But all in all it was a great learning experience, now I take my cell phone all the time!

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 10:18:33 PM »

That happened to 3 of us last year.  Story below.  Excuse the mudding terminology explanition as it was origionally posted on a car site.

05/05/2007
cliffs at bottom.

Went atving in the everglades(south of mile marker 39 on the alley for those familar) sunday with my brother in law and 4 other people we left at 10am. A couple hours in and several miles out 3 decide that they should go back as one of them is sucking down gas and getting low. Now it's just me(06 sportsman 500 efi) with 2 gallon of extra gas, my brother in law(mike arctic cat 600?), and another guy(danny yamaha 4x4 sport quad). Keep in mind my brother in law is basically the guide as we dont know where anything is and he used to ride where we are and knows the general direction of the "camps" more like houses with generators and is also drinking beer. About an hour later we decide to head back and my brother in law leads the way. It gets worse and worse as we ride and the other atv tracks start diminishing.
Here is where we get stuck for an hour. I hit a big mud pit hidden in the 6 foot tall sawgrass. Then my brother in law gets stuck 20' directly to my left. My winch cable snapped as I tried to pull my brother in law out to get me out. We decide to try and pull me through the mud with danny's 4x4 sport quad as it is to hard to go backwards. After snatching(u hook up a strap to both quads and get a running start to allow momentium to help u) me several times I get out. Danny and I then use both of our quads to snatch Mike out. Mike gets out then we continue on our way.
We are now riding through 7 foot sawgrass with an occasional opening here and there and me leading to knock down the sawgrass as I have the best traction. We finally see a radio tower at least 5 miles out and start heading towards it we know it is next to the highway. I start to sputter so I add 1/2 gallon gas to mine and 1/4 gallon to danny leaving 1.25 gallons left. It is now getting dark and we begin to see the lights of a rec/rest area and decide to head to them which is the same direction as the radio tower we saw an hour earlier. I again start to sputter as I am sucking down gas knocking down the sawgrass so I dump a 1/2 gallon in mine and 1/4 in danny's and none in my brother in laws as he is still good.
It is now dark and I am leading but cant see to good as I wear glasses and only brought my perscription sunglasses and had to take them off. The headlights dont do to good as there is sawgrass everywhere and it is so dark u cant see 2' in front of u without lights. I see a mud trench at the last second and my atv stops when I hit it but I keep going head first into the front rack. Immediately I see a white particle go flying and put my hand up to my mouth. I am bleeding a pretty good amount from my mouth and find a piece of my front tooth in my hand. For the next 10 minutes all u here from me is "fu(k" over and over with an occasional "I broke my tooth". At this point danny calls his boss(ex coast guard) as he lives 15 minutes away from where we think the lights are. Mike calls his wife to tell her then I get the phone and explain it as he isnt fully coherant but is getting there as he has been out of beer for at least an hour.
Danny's boss gets there and we figure out that we ae heading to the boat ramp/rec area that has the fire station. Danny's boss says he's gonna go the get the fire department as their station is at the lights that we are headed to. About 25 mins after we stopped because of my accident we continue on with me using the last 1/2 gallon of extra gas. Danny's boss calls back and says that the sheriff is sending out the chopper for support and to possibly guid us with a light.
I finally run out of gas so we abandon mine in the middle of 8' sawgrass as we cant pull it. We got another 3/4 to 1 mile before Mike ran out of gas. We called in that we now had abandoned 2 bikes and 2 of us were now on foot. I was walking through sawgrass in shorts, a tshirt, and worn out sneakers with no socks or insoles. Danny continued to blaze a trail as best he could as we walked behind him estimating that we were about 1.5 miles out. The sawgrass finally got too thick and we got to tired of pushing the quad so we left it and all 3 of us continued on foot a least a mile out with the chopper showing up at this time. After 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile we came to an airboat trail that went straight to the boat ramp where the lights were. We finally got to the boat ramp at about 12ish midnight. Micosukie(sp?) police officer was standing by with a m-14 to scare/shoot the gators if necessary as we had to wade across 3 f of water.

Today we got 4 quads together and backtracked our tracks to get the quads. Last quad abandoned was 1.2 miles, second one was 1.6, and mine was 2.5 miles.

PICS HERE OF MY TEETH http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522166

Cliffs: went atving in the everglades @ 10 am, 3 of us left group to go out more, drunk brother in law lead us in wrong direction, snapped winch cable I broke one of my front upper teeth, family called fire rescue and a chopper was sent out, ran out of gas and had to walk 1.5 miles through 8' sawgrass getting in at 12 midnight when we left at 10am.

LMAO!!  You must be Tammy's brother. I went on the recovery ride out there with you guys the next day.  I never told this story to protect those involved. Wink Sure was a great ride out there that day.

Shame no one was wearing helmets.

The first bike recovered.

stonny9

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 09:57:21 AM »

yep that's me.  It was fun.  We told them not to send the shopper but I guess it was cya for them.  But it did help us navigating the sawgrass as it was pitch black and the chopper spot light helped us navagate the sawgrass.

Sold
2005 Brute Force 750 IRS w/mud bitches

2006 Sportsman 500 EFI w/mud bitches
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com