Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: becoming a mechanic.  (Read 11695 times)
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »

Im thinking about being a mechanic of some kind for my career. id love to be a mc/atv tech but i hear that they dont make crap. a diesel mechanic would be a cool job too.

id like to be a fleet mechanic for Publix at the warehouse in Orlando. they make good money when you factor in the benefits you get. they make just over 50k a year topped out and they get health, life and dental insurance for free, a sweet 401k plan. and for every so much you make they give you stock. they get 5 or 6 weeks vacation after 5 years plus 5 or 10 paid holidays that can be used any day you want to use them. the hours rock too. 9:30-6:00.

so, if any of you are mechanics, please tell me what kind of hours, pay, benefits, and all that good stuff you get. thanks.
bignickwaite

yee haww

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »

publix is one of the best companys to work for in the u.s. . if you were good with computers and lived in calforina id say go to work for GOOGLE there awsome . look it up somtime oh how people work there youll wish you had a job there, nick

rdm225

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »

Turning wrenches for a living  sucks ,it used to be good 30 years ago dont do it go into computers or something else
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »

Turning wrenches for a living  sucks ,it used to be good 30 years ago dont do it go into computers or something else

i suck with computers.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »

if you want a killer joib that rquires liek no skill, be a ups driver, i was a jumper for the season and my driver made like 60,00+ a year. all you have to do is be a package handler for a year or 2 and they will offer you a driving position.

i would go to an atv mechanic school but to be honest i dont think id learn anything new, im going to uti in orlando.
backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:04:37 PM »

no changing tires sucks when i worked at tire kingdom i woulda given anything to be a 'real' mechanic btw never take your vehicles to any of those places there just a bunch of rednecks w/ backyard knowledge on oil changes and crap believe me i was one of em  Wink

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:06:24 PM »

if you want a killer joib that rquires liek no skill, be a ups driver, i was a jumper for the season and my driver made like 60,00+ a year. all you have to do is be a package handler for a year or 2 and they will offer you a driving position.

i would go to an atv mechanic school but to be honest i dont think id learn anything new, im going to uti in orlando.

to do what? thats where i want to go if i decide to be a mechanic. there or mmi. i also kinda dont want to go to mmi because i already work on bikes alot. i can do most of that crap that i have tools for.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:08:28 PM »

well, if everyone thought that way there would be a severe need for mechanics. i like working on stuff and all too. i love atv/mcs though so i dont know if i want a career doing that. i may get tire of dealing with them.
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:09:56 PM »

what is considered good money nowadays anyway?
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 03:26:32 PM »

You only "Hit as high as you Aim". Forget that crap. Go to college and get a job where your annual bonus is 2.5 million. Find out who is the highest paid mf's in the USA and research what they dd to get there. You can do it.

Before you go to college, get on a Harley and go to Idaho or Wyoming or Utah, by a bag of some good weed, pick up some waitress at the truck stop and get lost. When you get back you will be ready for a higher education. Here is the kicker, look what the rest of the hourly saps are doing out there right now (I am one of them). No Way. Do not sell yourself short. get real for a few months then check back with me.

The OZ has spoken Wink     

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
backwoods boy
Supreme Member

REBEL MOTORSPORTS

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

dont choose your career on money and hate it neither should you go get a job at mcd's cuz its easy but ive been on both sides of the fence
i had a job i HATED and made $16 an hour
now i drive a truck around the dump[some people mght think that sucks but i enjoy it] and make 1/2 that but love my job and couldnt be happier i know its not a career but until i can get into the fwc [another job that doesnt pay the best] its great

NObama08 '' nigga please its the WHITE house''
LIVE FAST-PLAY HARD-DIE LAUGHING
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »

50k a year is not good at all. i think thats bs when people say being a mechanic sucked, thats because they dont have a passion for working on things and they just couldnt get a better job. do something you love to do.

btw marine sucks because you will end up inside of a hull for hours working on inboards, but outboards would be great.
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »

Bang Head

It doesn't matter if you don't learn anything new -- you get certification.  No authorized dealer is going to hire you if you just claim to be good at it.  That little piece of paper MAKES a difference.  Certification > Word.

Yup! UTI.  I'm heading there with a few friends when we graduate.  Going to get an apartment in Orlando... gonna be sick lol.

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »

It's not a bad thing.
Big Co. or gov jobs offer the best long term but most starting salaries are low (26K~36K) If your a good wrench and a good employee you will be above 50k in a few years.

I finshed HS as a certified diesel mechanic. I could rebuild a CAT or DD by the time a was 18. I had a knack for it, yes I tore everthing apart as a child. Not every one does. Most people under estimate just how hard it is to wrench every day.

I love bikes/quads but I hated the feast or famine pay checks. Ive held some good jobs: Ryder/FL&L/Rinker/ MDC Fire shop/MDC solid waste/FDOT and now CC Fleet in Naples.

The most important thing to remember is listen to the OLD guys for mechanical and read everthing you can on the new stuff. My hands don't hurt from PS3, punk!
 Grin

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
gmiller0737

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »

I am a ASE Master Tech Plus The Advanced Level Engine Performance Certification,I cant say that I would recomend becoming a tech I make decent money  Quite a bit over 50K but overall it's abusive to your body Aching back,Carpal Tunnel Syndrome,Just To Name a few + exposure to many hazardous Chemicals,I work on Flat Rate If the shop is busy pay can be great if it's slow pay sucks bad! or the company will hire too many techs then you cant make much $ Publix May be the best bet if you decide to become a tech at least you would be on Salary.
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:45 PM »

Bang Head

It doesn't matter if you don't learn anything new -- you get certification.  No authorized dealer is going to hire you if you just claim to be good at it.  That little piece of paper MAKES a difference.  Certification > Word.

Yup! UTI.  I'm heading there with a few friends when we graduate.  Going to get an apartment in Orlando... gonna be sick lol.

what im saying is i want a certification on something a litle more advanced than atv mechanic, that way not only will i have no trouble geting hired as an atv mechanic but i could do just about anything i wanted. i hear theres just like a general "hot rod" section of uti or something like that, thats what id be doing...
flt mech

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »

something different but what about aviation mech.  I do that now and love it.  I do something different everyday.  I have a broad spectrum of things that i work on, engines, metal working, props, flight controls, etc.  Check out NAA in clearwater or go to a hanger and check out what they do and maybe get in as a grunt at first and then go for your A&P (Airfame and Powerplant) Certification.  Good pay with A&P and go anywhere you want.  Just trying to broaden your options.
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 01:04:13 AM »

It will take a long time like 5 years to become a package car driver and they make anywhere from 50-60k and another 5 years to become driver who will make like 80k. Im trying to become package car but I dont have enought time yet...

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
MedicMudder
Supreme Member

USMC...OOOO RHAA !!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:33:17 AM »

The main thing is Doing what you enjoy,If you love what you are doing,you never have to go to work! I am a FireFighter/Paramedic it used to be
the best job in the world,but lawyers wanting to be politicians//Politicians wanting to be lawyers kinda messed the whole thing up Cry
 Politicians= poly meaning many// ticks-are blood sucking parasites= Politicians !!!!

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
 My son is a United States  Marine. SmileySmiley Semper Fidelis.
 Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 01:25:24 PM »

I loved turnin wrenches. Theres not a ton of money in it unless your really good or find a really rare job. Own your shop AND turn wrenches. Cant beat that. You can choose the jobs you want to do!

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »

what im saying is i want a certification on something a litle more advanced than atv mechanic, that way not only will i have no trouble geting hired as an atv mechanic but i could do just about anything i wanted. i hear theres just like a general "hot rod" section of uti or something like that, thats what id be doing...

I'm going to get certification in as many things as I can.  May take a few years but it will be worth it down the road.  I'm taking the Ford FACT program or whatever its called, probably going to take some more courses like the cummins diesel one, then I will head over to MMI.

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »

I doesn't matter what you do, if you enjoy your job, and you are motivated, and your adaptable, and always continue to educate yourself you can make 6 figures in anything you choose.  I know a mechanic who makes 100,000 a year so why not you.  There are a lot of things out here in the real world that can stop you from pursuing the perfect job (like a family) so think about whats important and not about the dollar.  Remember no job is beneath you.  Good luck.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

well said swamper.

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 09:04:02 PM »

Im thinking about being a mechanic of some kind for my career. id love to be a mc/atv tech but i hear that they dont make crap. a diesel mechanic would be a cool job too.

id like to be a fleet mechanic for Publix at the warehouse in Orlando. they make good money when you factor in the benefits you get. they make just over 50k a year topped out and they get health, life and dental insurance for free, a sweet 401k plan. and for every so much you make they give you stock. they get 5 or 6 weeks vacation after 5 years plus 5 or 10 paid holidays that can be used any day you want to use them. the hours rock too. 9:30-6:00.

so, if any of you are mechanics, please tell me what kind of hours, pay, benefits, and all that good stuff you get. thanks.

It depends if you are good or bad at it. I know a bunch of mechanics who work at a local Ford heavy truck dealership. Some of them make 30k in a good year and two I know make $150k with another $50k in side work right now in these slow times and have for years.

Flat rate is what you will find in nearly every heavy truck shop and it can pay big, but isn't for everyone. I worked body and paint at Peterbilt for years and never took home less than a thousand a week working about six hours a day, five a week while some guys went broke and quit after a few weeks. Trucks are much more fun than cars IMO, everything is way bigger.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
logandzwon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »

if you were good with computers and lived in calforina id say go to work for GOOGLE there awsome . look it up somtime oh how people work there youll wish you had a job there, nick

Lol, like you just go get a job there.  It is rated as one of the top companies in the world to work for.  You need to have experience, desire, a genuine knack at whatever you do, and you need to fit in with the culture.  Many of the top IT companies are like that now a days.  Also in IT you better love long hours and always being on call, no matter what you do.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com