Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More Mr Moms in the world  (Read 7172 times)
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 11:14:49 PM »

February 30th is Ebonics, and learning to spell with Darnell Nerd

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »

one month of learning black history when he could be learning something else.

I can't believe they spend an entire month teaching black history in public school here. I don't remember that when I attended it.

Up in Georgia where my daughter is in public school they spend way too much time teaching them to pass the various mandated tests like the CRCT or FCAT to receive funding. I thought it was the same in Florida these days.

I'm graduating in a few months, and I can say that the first two years of highschool were nothing but FCAT. You actually start learning valuable stuff in the 11th, and 12th grade. I start college in June. Since there is no FCAT there, it should be a fun experience lol.
Anoriginal

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 12:28:42 AM »

Personally, I think the entire manner in which we educate our children needs to be revamped. In fact, in comparison to the rest of the world, I'd say we're a bit behind. My thoughts?

1. Do away with forced integration and redistricting. Study after study shows that student learn more efficiently when placed in an environment consistent with their upbringing. In otherwords, don't bus ghetto Tom into a school with suburb Larry or vice-versa. It makes no sense monetarily or educationally [sic].

2. Clamp down on the illegals diluting our schools. Standards are constantly being lowered to accommodate illegal immigrants. With the touchy feely "everyone is a winner" mentality in today's school systems, administrations would rather slow the pace at the cost of the many to satisfy the feeble minds of a few.

3. Enough with the college stigma already. It's overrated. Look, I've got an AA, two BS degrees, an MBA and a JD. I've been there, done it and got the pretty framed pieces of paper to prove it. Time after time I saw people who were in college simply because: (a) they were always told it was the thing to do; (b) Mommy and Daddy insisted and were paying for it; or (c) they had no other option. You know what? These people were just occupying space that they didn't want or deserve and that should have been filled by someone desiring it. If you don't want to go to college.....don't go. There is nothing wrong in any way shape or form with learning a vocation instead of earning a degree. This brings me to my fourth point.

4. Bring on the vocational education. No, not your dank, run down vo-tech campuses. I'm talking real high-end, serious vocational programs wherein students get the opportunity to pursue their true desires in an atmosphere that fuels the same. Take a page from our German or Icelandic counterparts. They've adhered to this program for decades with huge success. Student get to pursue their dreams and come out with a real skill that will do them well the rest of their career.

5. Finally, cut the crap. What do I mean? I mean, stop all the feel good, don't keep score, politically correct horse crap that's practiced in today's educational system. Stop rewarding mediocre performance and require the best attempt at perfection. I recently saw an interview on CNN with a public school teacher of 30 years. She said that a gifted student used to be one that was truly "gifted". Now days, she says a gifted student is one that will actually do their homework. The FCAT is not difficult and yes I've seen the test. It should be a moderate task at best, for today's students. You can bet the rest of the civilized world is producing students capable of handling this type of test. LEts not perpetuate the "lazy American" stigma with our children. Good Lord, we're the most powerful nation on earth. We should produce the most powerful minds as well.

I'm not saying this is a cure to everything. But, I know a thing or two about modern education and these are just my ideas on how to improve things. I'm wide open for suggestions and comment.   Wink
Able

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 12:40:15 AM »

All fantastic point Anoriginal. I've taken care of most by simply home schooling.  college is not for everyone, but I guarantee mine are going  Wink  Mine are encouraged, corrected, and directed in  a positive reinforcing mannor that inspires,  promotes initiative and rewards success. The public system is all but ruined, which is why mine won't spend a day in public schools. One of their friends fell behind in reading because she was helping a non-English speaking student learn English instead of focusing on her education. I believe in a holistic approach and that children do derive part of their being from biological traits they receive from their parents, but they are in many ways influenced by their environments. You can't take someone with a 75 IQ and make him a brain surgeon, and someone with a 145 IQ can be corrupted. Mine are being taken care of.
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 09:11:47 AM »

Personally, I think the entire manner in which we educate our children needs to be revamped. In fact, in comparison to the rest of the world, I'd say we're a bit behind. My thoughts?

I agree with everything you have proposed.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »

I thought everybody already knew this but were just too skeered not to be politically correct Angry

'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 07:19:57 AM »

bill gates is a college dropout. didn't he buy the rights to microsoft for like 50 grand or something? what a dummy Wink jk
Able

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

Einstein flunked out of school. Doesn't mean that you can't be successful without going to college, but with a competitive market where there are more people looking than there are jobs a degree could be the make or break factor. Besides, you can't be a doctor, lawyer, etc. without a college education no matter how bright you are  Wink
gtnwood

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »

Wanna bet Grin Grin Grin

Able

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »

Wanna bet Grin Grin Grin

Sure. You go get your M.D. without going to many years of college then let me know  Tongue  ( I don't mean an honorary PHD or anything - )
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com