Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 16 tips to save on fuel  (Read 8706 times)
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »

some are believable and some arent1. Keep the tires inflated properly. Underinflated tires waste fuel and wear out the tire tread. Also, check tires regularly for alignment and balance.
2. A well-tuned engine burns less gas. Get regular tune-ups and follow through with routine maintenance. 
3. Get the junk out of the trunk. A weighed-down car uses more fuel. For every extra 250 pounds your engine hauls, the car loses about one mile per gallon in fuel economy. 
4. Buy the lowest grade (octane) of gasoline that is appropriate for your car. As long as your engine doesn't knock or ping, the fuel you're using is fine. 
5. Pay cash at stations that charge extra for credit cards. 

- advertisement -

6. Don't top off the gas tank. Too much gas will just slosh or seep out. Why waste those extra pennies? 
7. Drive intelligently; don't make fast starts or sudden stops. You're just overexerting your engine and burning extra fuel. Engine-revving wastes fuel, too. 
8. Lighten up on the accelerator. The faster you drive, the more gas you use. For example, driving at 55 mph rather than 65 mph can improve your fuel economy by two miles per gallon.
9. Avoid long warm-ups. Even on cold winter mornings, your car doesn't need more than a minute to get ready to go. Anything more and you're just burning up that expensive fuel. 
10. Combine errands into one trip and plan your stops for the most-efficient route. You'll save yourself time and money. 
11. Do not rest your left foot on the brake. The slightest pressure could cause a drag that will demand additional gas use -- and wear out the brakes sooner. 
12. Tighten the gas cap. Buy a new one if your current cap doesn't fit snugly. Gas easily evaporates from the tank if it has an escape. 
13. Buy a fuel-efficient car. When pricing cars, factor in long-term fuel costs. Keep in mind that sunroofs add to wind resistance, lowering the mileage per gallon. 
14. Be smart with the air conditioning. On the highway, closed windows decrease air resistance, so run the air conditioner. In stop-and-go traffic, shut off the air conditioning and open the windows. 
15. Remove snow tires in good weather. Deep tread and big tires use more fuel.
16. Fuel up at the service station with the lowest price in your area. 

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

some don't apply to certain vehicles, and the speed one is probly wrong, i get better millage at higher speed untill i break 2000 rpm. 

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »

same with me but @ 2500 im doing 85 so i get good highway miles

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
predatorracer8

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:27:16 PM »

definately completly false about the topping off part, gas tanks really dont get full there is always space in the tank, the pump stops when the air pressure in the tank or something like that reach's a certain point. when you fill your tank with only about a quarter or half there is more air than at full capacity allowing more sloshing an more air to evaporate in.

jake
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:05:19 PM »

also fill up in the morning when its cool and none evaporates the second it hits the tank liek ti does when its hot, same goes for fillign it up full speed, do it slow and none evaporates, also beter too kepp your tank toped off so that there isnt any space that way none evaporates...

and get those cats and egrs off and get a realy god custom tune, it makes a HUGE diference. and on older cars your bigest problem when you see bad mpg is you need a new 02 sensor, dont get the other brand either get the one it came with, i know gm=ac delco.
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 03:26:37 AM »

also fill up in the morning when its cool and none evaporates the second it hits the tank liek ti does when its hot, same goes for fillign it up full speed, do it slow and none evaporates, also beter too kepp your tank toped off so that there isnt any space that way none evaporates...

and get those cats and egrs off and get a realy god custom tune, it makes a HUGE diference. and on older cars your bigest problem when you see bad mpg is you need a new 02 sensor, dont get the other brand either get the one it came with, i know gm=ac delco.

Does filling up in the morning really work?? is it that big of a difference??  I dont think its gunna matter for me... i only get 14mpg

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:32 AM »

well i havnt tried it in the morning but what i do is i fill it on the slowest seting so less evaprotes splashing around and yes i did get a litle more for the same money becasue i noticed a small difference in my mpg... its worth your trime to pump it on the slow seting, you get more for the same money. in the mornining only makes it beter.

and 14mpg aint bad but it sounds like you could pick up a few with maitenence liek a new 02 sensor, plugs and wires, maybe even a map sensor. the 95 year tbi chevys tent do get better mpg because their ecm is more accurate do to its 2 wire 02 sensor and when the 02 gets old its reading can become inacurate and thats what the ecm uses to trim up how much fuel you need...
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 10:06:20 AM »

the reason u fill up in the morning is because all the gunk in the gas at the station has settled to the bottom of there tanks.

backinsaddle

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »

speed makes a huge difference.  I would bet that anyone that says differently never tested mpg at 55 vs 65...i promise there is an improvement at lower speed

as for getting fuel in the am...cool/cold fuel is more condensed than hot fuel, therefore you're getting more energy per gallon.  My understanding is that fuel at the wholesale level is priced based on fuel temperature (they adjust cost for energy potential per gallon).  In the summer months you're getting less energy per gallon than in the winter months.

also, never fill up when the tanker truck is there filling the tanks...all the crap that sits in the bottom of the tanks gets stirred up when the tanker is filling, and you're pumping that into your car
kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »

its different for all vehicles but i definitely get better mpg at higher speed, i cover more ground, it takes the same or less throttle, and my egts dont get any hotter. thats partialy why highway millage is always better.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

me and you need to race are u soposed to be workin im on break right now but i thought u work at king's

kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »

me and you need to race are u soposed to be workin im on break right now but i thought u work at king's

me? mark works at kings. if you wana race, come down over the break, i dont think you have much of a chance against the big d-max though lol. jk. but not realy. im racing a few 5.0 stangs tomarow after school, if you wana get in on that feel free lol.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »

nice! when my tires get here ill beat u cause it will actualy hook up in stead of smoking u out. my dad says to come over and see if u can make it were ive been in my truck. i know places to get your bother stuck u should come on over theres no mud in naples go to go back to work catch ya at home.

kfx400rob
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »

easy there buddy i have plenty of traction problems myself launching a 2wd boosted, I think youl be the one left in a cloud of smoke, not tire smoke iether lol. oh and if your prepaired to pull my 2wd out... alot, then sure il go wheelin with ya lol.

06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

I know a better way to save gas.

Walk.

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon
backinsaddle

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

or take public transportation...wish we had better public trans. in broward
Mike99KFX

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »

I get better mileage using premium instead of 87 octane.  Also, the 87 is junk, be prepared to replace injectors after a few years.  The 93 is a better grade of gas. 
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

We recently sold our '01 Ford Escape and bought an '06 Scion XA. 35mpg so the wife can drive to work. It's hard to beat that without buying a $20,000+ Prius.

I have to humbly disagree with you about dirty fuel injectors with 87 octane fuel. I've never heard that one before. I put 80,000 miles over 5 years on the Ford with 87 octane without a problem.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:08:29 PM by mrbones » Logged

AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »

I run 87 in all my trucks. My dad runs 93 in his vette due to heavy motor modifications Wink

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »

93 is definitly worht the money, and the sludge in the botom of the tan ks in the morning, premium doesnt have that problem its a much cleener gas. worth the money imo. also if you tune the ecm for it its as simple as more timing=more power, and more timing=higher octane...

also you need it when you have a blower on stock compresion pistons like myself, i also spray methanol which is 116 octane under spray, about 130 if i get around to getting some strait methanol.
Turboderf
Supreme Member

**HONDA** WARRANTY **SUCKS**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »

I know a better way to save gas.

Walk.
Just Stay Home
mrbones
Administrator
Supreme Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »

That's easy to do to when you can't find much work.

SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »

Fuel up in the Morning when the ground temp is cooler the fuel is denser. Never get gas when they are filling the tanks...sediment gets stirred up and ends up in your tank.
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 01:32:05 AM »

well i havnt tried it in the morning but what i do is i fill it on the slowest seting so less evaprotes splashing around and yes i did get a litle more for the same money becasue i noticed a small difference in my mpg... its worth your trime to pump it on the slow seting, you get more for the same money. in the mornining only makes it beter.

and 14mpg aint bad but it sounds like you could pick up a few with maitenence liek a new 02 sensor, plugs and wires, maybe even a map sensor. the 95 year tbi chevys tent do get better mpg because their ecm is more accurate do to its 2 wire 02 sensor and when the 02 gets old its reading can become inacurate and thats what the ecm uses to trim up how much fuel you need...

Well the motor only has 15 k on it and the O2 sensor only has like 10k on it... when i put the motor in i had a mechanic/good friend of my family good through everything... thats just what i will get... i got 15 the other week.... but then again i jus took it easy

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »

Well the motor only has 15 k on it and the O2 sensor only has like 10k on it... when i put the motor in i had a mechanic/good friend of my family good through everything... thats just what i will get... i got 15 the other week.... but then again i jus took it easy

if you ask me 15mpg is actualy realy good... i was just saying if you think its capable of more than the 02 is whats holding you. but it seems thats all your truck is good for...on the stock toon that it...

i may get bashed for this but get rid of that cat and get it tuned, thatl pick up mpg no doubt, another good mpg increase is a msd blaster coil, i got mine for 30$ on ebay, it helped out my mpg a good bit, like .7 more mpg or something for only 30$, not bad if you ask me.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com