Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who knows airboats?  (Read 4967 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:13:04 PM »

My step-dad owned an airboat when I was younger and I drove it a couple times but that is pretty much my experience.  I'm half kicking around the idea of buying an airboat to be able to continue to have access to the Everglades now that Holey Lands are closed.  I know certain hull types are preferable for riding in the grass and others for deep water.  What's a good compromise and which hull material should I be considering?  I see quite a few airboats with the Continental GPU.  From comments, I get the feeling it's not the best unit out there.  I know the Lycoming O-540 is a strong motor but what about aircraft vs. automotive?  And finally, what about any tips for buying an airboat; things to look for and look out for and things to just plain stay away from.  Thanks.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »

I believe the Air Boat Show is at Bass Pro in Broward this weekend. 

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
cutngrs
Supreme Member

PUT UP $$$ OR SHUT THE HELL UP

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »

yes it is this weekend  my brother is puting his boat in it. his boat  got second place last year and first place the last two years if you have time. you should go and ask around you can spend a lot of $$$$$$ on air boat my brother has over 50,000.00 in his boat

THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »

Get a diamondback with a car motor & beltdrive gearbox & never look back. the addage that "real airboats have airplane motors" is crap. I will put my cousins 13.5' Diamondback against any aircraft motor anyday on dry ground & prove it.
He has a 383 stroker in it & it will run up the steep side of the ridge in Kissimee & from the milkbus to Lake Cypress through the marsh when there is no water in it.

The best thing is it is on 93 octane & regular oil. No AV gas & av oil. Plus you can get parts anywhere for less than half the price.

You can go to Diamondback in Cocoa & tour the factory. The owners are standup people.
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

Whatever you do dont get a glass hull!
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

yes it is this weekend  my brother is puting his boat in it. his boat  got second place last year and first place the last two years if you have time. you should go and ask around you can spend a lot of $$$$$$ on air boat my brother has over 50,000.00 in his boat

Geeeez, Thats almost as much as you had in you quad. Wink

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
exrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »

Get a diamondback with a car motor & beltdrive gearbox & never look back. the addage that "real airboats have airplane motors" is crap. I will put my cousins 13.5' Diamondback against any aircraft motor anyday on dry ground & prove it.
He has a 383 stroker in it & it will run up the steep side of the ridge in Kissimee & from the milkbus to Lake Cypress through the marsh when there is no water in it.

The best thing is it is on 93 octane & regular oil. No AV gas & av oil. Plus you can get parts anywhere for less than half the price.

You can go to Diamondback in Cocoa & tour the factory. The owners are standup people.

He speaks the truth.

2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine
cutngrs
Supreme Member

PUT UP $$$ OR SHUT THE HELL UP

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 06:17:27 AM »

yea well hes single and no kids  oh and he has 540 ci big block  700 hp  on pump gas and he  has 150 hp shot of nos he says the same thing about aircraft motors  bring em on

THE ORANGE CRUSH BANSHEE  
WWW.MYBANSHEE/IS/FASTER/THAN/YOURS.COM
IF YOU WANT TO RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS GIVE US A CALL
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:31:16 AM »

yea well hes single and no kids  oh and he has 540 ci big block  700 hp  on pump gas and he  has 150 hp shot of nos he says the same thing about aircraft motors  bring em on

That sounds like a screamer.My buddy lives up near your neck of the woods on lake Sala Apopka and thats a great chain o lakes for airboating. Where's Don been lately, Haven't seen him around?

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
550superquad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 07:25:59 AM »

well i have had both types  ( car motors with class hull & air craft with aluminum hull )  my current boat lycoming 300 hp super charged lycoming on aluminum i personally will never go back to a car motor   Wink

1985 huffy girls bike
green with white stripes on the chaingaurd
mid-level ape hangers with green glitter grips & white plastic woven handlebar basket
one mirror,whip flag & thumb bell on handle bar's 
extra long Bannana Seat
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 07:47:16 AM »

Nothing sounds better than a badazz V-8 loping a cam with open headers!
I grew up in Lauderdale running the glades with my uncles on glass hulls with aircraft motors when they used to steer the boat with their feet! Shocked
That was crazy when you look back on it. I will say one thing, the aircraft motors get better gas mileage.

Diggin, if you are interested in a BADAZZ boat, my cousin is assembling his dads boat right now. The motor is full roller motor, putting out 740hp has the dyno sheet!!!
The hull & metal works has a fresh paint job inside & out, the motor cost about $13,000.00 built by a race shop in Tennessee, the metal works are brand new with a pancake cage. I think he is looking to get around $18K for it. It is a Combee hull(glass) with polymer bottom in excellent shape. Boat has JBL 4 speaker am/fm/cd system, new seats & custom covers. The color theme is red, white & blue. Trailer is in perfect shape also. We are in the Tampa area. This boat is a 13.5' that will take you up any hill & run dry for miles if needed. Big enogh for 4 comfortably. Just need to bolt in the new motor. he may make you a deal as it sits. Let me know if interested I will try to get pics this weekend.
BDOG 4X4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 08:48:14 AM »

for more info visit

southernairboat.com
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »

Sounds like a nice boat but you have to keep in mind the only airboat I've ever driven was an eleven foot aluminum boat with a 180 hp O360.  Not that I don't love horsepower but not sure a 750 hp 13 foot boat is the right boat to start off with.  I know horsepower is nice to have, especially if it's dry.  On more than one occassion we had to jump off the boat to help get across a mud flat.  It used to scare the hell out of me to be pushing and pulling on that boat with the propeller spinning just a few inches away on the other side of the cage.  I look back on that now and wonder what the hell were we thinking.   Shocked  Before you ask, it didn't have any poly on it.  I'm not sure it even existed back then (this was in the mid-70s on the St. Johns).  I have a good idea what I'm looking for.  I'm thinking something with side x side rear drive and at least two seats low in front; three seats would be perfect.  I would love to have an IO-540 but I don't relish the idea of paying for aircraft fuel or parts so I would most likely go with an automotive set-up, although I'm concerned about weight and cooling issues.  I've heard both sides of the glass vs. aluminum story.  I'm leaning aluminum but haven't ruled out glass.  Thanks for all of you guys' input.  Anybody else?  

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:30 AM »

Nothing sounds better than a badazz V-8 loping a cam with open headers!
I grew up in Lauderdale running the glades with my uncles on glass hulls with aircraft motors when they used to steer the boat with their feet! Shocked
That was crazy when you look back on it. I will say one thing, the aircraft motors get better gas mileage.

I needed a fond memory this morning, thanks buddy.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

The boat for sale has the side by seat up high in the back driver seat & a double seat low in the front. If i were buying today I would definitely get aluminum. I just thought I would put that one out there for ya. I will try to get pics anyways for anyone interested. This motor is the shiz!
You really should check out Diamondback if you are getting a car motor, hammet if you are getting an aircraft motor.
Quad32x
Supreme Member

Work My Sausage !

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »

well i have had both types  ( car motors with class hull & air craft with aluminum hull )  my current boat lycoming 300 hp super charged lycoming on aluminum i personally will never go back to a car motor   Wink
Now if you could just learn how to drive the damn thing with out scaring the crap out of me. Shocked Help! Laugh

Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com