Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miami with out power  (Read 5549 times)
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:36:12 PM »

Miami was without power for 20 minutes from Doral to Florida City. What is going on here?  Huh

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:43:51 PM »

Still no power here in downtown Miami.  Rumors are flying around at my client that the entire state is being affected.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »

Dang..........Cubans sending the power to Cuba. Sad

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »

According to the authority of all things Miami, The Miami Herald:

Power outages are cascading through many parts of South Florida, with Florida Power & Light and others reporting blackouts in portions of Miami, Doral, Westchester, Pembroke Pines, Miramar and Boca Raton.

Many traffic lights are not working and nine accidents were reported in Miami-Dade County between 1:04 p.m. and 1:26 p.m. Police agencies were dispatching officers to as many intersections as possible.

The lights flickered off at several South Florida hospitals, which had to switch to generator power.

"We had a blip here and the generators kicked in immediately," Jackson Memorial Hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson said.

Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach and Baptist Hospital in Southwest Miami-Dade reported similar situations.

A spokeswoman for FPL said the company was investigating the extent and cause of the problem.

In one part of western Pembroke Pines, the outage began about 1:15 p.m., but service was restored within about 10 minutes.

The service failures came during an unusually warm February day in South Florida, with temperatures reaching near-record highs. At 1 p.m, Miami and West Palm Beach reported a reading of 84 degrees; it was 83 degrees in Fort Lauderdale.

Some air conditioning companies reported summer-like levels of service calls.

Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »

I feel for you all, but you can expect this to happen a lot more in the future.

After working for FPC for 32 years, I can tell you things will never be the same as years ago. All the companies have down sized to the extent that 4 people are doing the work of 7. Maintenance work has been neglected for years. They call it risk management. They don't care about the customer anymore, only stock holder profits. Customer satisfaction and reliable power used to be number one, now it's last. Don't believe all the crap you hear on the TV, it's only propaganda.

I tell everyone I know to get a generator because times like this will happen more often than ever before.

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:20:40 PM »

FBI just called........... The problem was a person named Gun Slinger was using a personal female device that cause the power outage.  Huh

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
budman
Supreme Member

No, I'm not depressed...I'm just guarding my beer!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »

Is somebody napping on the Miami generator?

www.rratv.net

2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »

I feel for you all, but you can expect this to happen a lot more in the future.

After working for FPC for 32 years, I can tell you things will never be the same as years ago. All the companies have down sized to the extent that 4 people are doing the work of 7. Maintenance work has been neglected for years. They call it risk management. They don't care about the customer anymore, only stock holder profits. Customer satisfaction and reliable power used to be number one, now it's last. Don't believe all the crap you hear on the TV, it's only propaganda.

I tell everyone I know to get a generator because times like this will happen more often than ever before.

and get a second job so you can pay for the gas to power the generator!!!
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »

Wooohooo! Power is back on in downtown Miami.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

Still locked down in school. They wont let us out because of mass accidents around the school. Better start my homework  Cry
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »

ahahahaha that sucks. we actually got out EARLY up here in fort myers.

not all the classrooms have emergency lights inside , so they  called the busses in early , and since i drive. i left school at around 1 pm. w00t

How we ride today determines IF  we can ride tommorow.
'89 240sx sil-coupe (drift car)
'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
'05 Limited Edition Banshee
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:51:29 PM »

Lucky, I was suppose to pick up my yfz shrouds from carlos today before he heads to work, guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow, man I was so siked about it too, atleast I can put all the other parts on the Z today.
Miami450R
Supreme Member

Yamaha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 03:04:39 PM »

damn dude what else did you get for it. it doesnt have any room to put any more stuff on it. haha

How we ride today determines IF  we can ride tommorow.
'89 240sx sil-coupe (drift car)
'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
'05 Limited Edition Banshee
Moose
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:57 PM »

MIAMI - Florida's largest electric company shut down a nuclear reactor south of Miami for safety reasons Tuesday, causing sporadic power outages covering large portions of the state that could last well into the night. More than 3 million people are affected, the state says.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission said that the two Florida Power & Light nuclear reactors at its Turkey Point power point 30 miles south of Miami automatically shut down. Two other power plants farther north, the Crystal River reactor and St. Lucie twin reactors, in the state continued to operate, although officials at those two facilities noticed the grid disturbance.

"We don't know whether the grid disturbance caused the units to shut down or that their shut down caused the grid disturbance," said Kenneth Clark, a spokesman at the NRC regional office in Atlanta. He said the two reactors were automatically shut down and in safe standby.

"There are no safety concerns. The reactors shut down as designed," said Clark in a telephone interview. He said both reactor continued to have offsite electric power. He said two coal-burning power plants at Turkey Point also shut down.

FPL in several media interviews estimated that power should be up statewide within 10 hours. The company did not return repeated calls from The Associated Press or speak to a reporter in the lobby of its Juno Beach headquarters.

Outages appear to be concentrated in the southeast portion of the state, including Miami, but were also reported in along the southwest coast and northeastern part of the state as well as in the Florida Keys. The outages began shortly after 1 p.m. EST, though power in some affected areas had been restored an hour later.

In Collier County in the southwestern portion of the state, sheriff's spokeswoman Karie Partington said officials were working to determine the extent of the outages.

"We really don't have a good picture of it," sheriff's spokeswoman Karie Partington said. "It's not any one location."

In central Florida, the Orange and Volusia county sheriff's offices confirmed power outages at traffic signals across their jurisdictions.

"I don't have a handle on whether we're experiencing residential or commercial outages," said Gary Davidson, Volusia sheriff's spokesman. "I know we're receiving reports of traffic lights out virtually throughout the county, from Deland, Deltona, Ormond Beach, South Daytona to Debary."

Jaime Hernandez, a spokesman for Miami-Dade County Department of Emergency Management, said the county is partially activating its emergency operations center. He said no injuries have been reported so far.

By 2 p.m., most of northern downtown Miami appeared to be back to normal operation, including a campus of Miami-Dade Community College and numerous stores and businesses. Traffic lights were out for a short time but appeared to be back in regular operation. In the Florida Keys, spokesman Andy Newman reported, areas were without power for about 15 minutes, but it was back up as well.

An official at the Miami International Airport says the facility is working on a generator backup but that no airline delays were reported.

In Collier County in the southwestern portion of the state, sheriff's spokeswoman Karie Partington said officials were working to determine the extent of the outages.

"We really don't have a good picture of it," sheriff's spokeswoman Karie Partington said. "It's not any one location

LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 03:51:42 PM »

I heard an incompetent Nextel guy on a tower dropped a wrench on a main line in Doral while posting to an ATV webforum with an exceptionally slow i570 which knocked out power all around the east coast.  Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
big-daddy
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

I heard an incompetent Nextel guy on a tower dropped a wrench on a main line in Doral while posting to an ATV webforum with an exceptionally slow i570 which knocked out power all around the east coast.  Wink

Nope.... we all know it was a power surge from the west coast. Man that as to be one big tool to draw that much power. Huh

Welcome back Jack still waiting on those pictures from your last trip....whats up with that?

2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:46 PM »

check the underside of the 570, I think the reason for the speed concern can be found there,,,,,,,,,,,it reads, Suzuki  Kiss

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 04:28:57 PM »

Nope.... we all know it was a power surge from the west coast. Man that as to be one big tool to draw that much power. Huh

Welcome back Jack still waiting on those pictures from your last trip....whats up with that?

I came back home to find my two year old waterheater decided to flood my laundry room for about the last two weeks. Those tankless instahot heaters were looking so good I got one yesterday, stinking thing needed three 60 amp 220v lines. I am wondering if when I ran the washing machine, dishwasher and took a shower simultaneously earlier if it caused this...

I literally have 6 gigs of pictures from the last few months I need to go through, but I posted some in the thread on fatv where you read about my reason for being absent. That was East side of macks. Prime riding over there now.

check the underside of the 570, I think the reason for the speed concern can be found there,,,,,,,,,,,it reads, Suzuki  Kiss

Id@

I thought it said Motorola. Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »

I came back home to find my two year old waterheater decided to flood my laundry room for about the last two weeks. Those tankless instahot heaters were looking so good I got one yesterday, stinking thing needed three 60 amp 220v lines. I am wondering if when I ran the washing machine, dishwasher and took a shower simultaneously earlier if it caused this...

I literally have 6 gigs of pictures from the last few months I need to go through, but I posted some in the thread on fatv where you read about my reason for being absent. That was East side of macks. Prime riding over there now.

Id@

I thought it said Motorola. Wink

The Gas tankless are AWESOME but the electric use TONS of Power.  Boil Water on the Stove. Wink
Islandbreeze07

Miami Crepes (owner) and AmeriPlan IBO

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »

Thought it was a guy at FPL who shut off two levels of protection before going in to fix something and it didn't take, and something happened.  BOOM.

http://mybenefitsplus.com/KGraber
http://iboplus.com/KGraber

Life is like a farm, you gotta get up early to do the chores
K-Town Quad Boy 08

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »

Thought it was a guy at FPL who shut off two levels of protection before going in to fix something and it didn't take, and something happened.  BOOM.

yes you are right
my dad works for the FPL power plant in Ft. Myers and this is what happened.
this exacltey what they were told
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com