Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm an Idiot!!!  (Read 4000 times)
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2008, 11:43:53 PM »

After a 1/2 day ride here in the desert on the long ride back to the truck my quad started rattling kinda loud it also stalled 2 times. Well my original thought was right, it was running out of oil  . When I got up this morning I went to unload the quad from the back of the truck and I checked the oil before I started it and no oil showed on the dipstick.

I ended up rolling the quad off the truck and into the garage where I proceeded to add oil. I then started it up and oil was shooting out around the filter. Now, I just did my first oil change before the ride mind you. The filter is located in the front of the motor in a kind of hard place to get to. I should have taken off the plastics and the inside wheel well to get a better few and I would have seen...........................the old oil filter gasket still stuck to the quad  .. That's right I put the new filter w/gasket on top of the old gasket and that does not work.

Needless to say I rode the quad alot yesterday as the oil was draining out of the motor. By the time I got back to the truck the motor had a semi-loud rattle coming from the head  . This time I took all the plastics off so I could get to the oil filter better and replaced the filter again, drained what little oil there was in the motor out and put a fresh 2 1/2 qts back in. Started the quad and it still has a rattle, after I let it idle for about 5 minutes I took it for a quick spin and it seems to run alright, it does not seem to have lost any top end or power off the line.

Which leeds to my question, what should I do just keep riding it. Take it to the shop and play dumb and tell them it developed a rattle (I have a 2yr extended warranty) or what? Since it seems to be running good (other than the rattle) to you think I it won't hurt the long term health of my motor or did I cause a premature death of my beloved King? Please be kind to me in my time of sorrow
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:48 AM »

After a 1/2 day ride here in the desert on the long ride back to the truck my quad started rattling kinda loud it also stalled 2 times. Well my original thought was right, it was running out of oil  . When I got up this morning I went to unload the quad from the back of the truck and I checked the oil before I started it and no oil showed on the dipstick.

I ended up rolling the quad off the truck and into the garage where I proceeded to add oil. I then started it up and oil was shooting out around the filter. Now, I just did my first oil change before the ride mind you. The filter is located in the front of the motor in a kind of hard place to get to. I should have taken off the plastics and the inside wheel well to get a better few and I would have seen...........................the old oil filter gasket still stuck to the quad  .. That's right I put the new filter w/gasket on top of the old gasket and that does not work.

Needless to say I rode the quad alot yesterday as the oil was draining out of the motor. By the time I got back to the truck the motor had a semi-loud rattle coming from the head  . This time I took all the plastics off so I could get to the oil filter better and replaced the filter again, drained what little oil there was in the motor out and put a fresh 2 1/2 qts back in. Started the quad and it still has a rattle, after I let it idle for about 5 minutes I took it for a quick spin and it seems to run alright, it does not seem to have lost any top end or power off the line.

Which leeds to my question, what should I do just keep riding it. Take it to the shop and play dumb and tell them it developed a rattle (I have a 2yr extended warranty) or what? Since it seems to be running good (other than the rattle) to you think I it won't hurt the long term health of my motor or did I cause a premature death of my beloved King? Please be kind to me in my time of sorrow

No need for you to PLAY DUMB. LOL Actually this happend ALOT with the King. Do that exactly...take her back and PLAY DUMB!!
Slick89

Chevrolet all the way!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »

If its under warranty then take it in. thats what its there for. Doesn't hurt to get it checked out. Swamp was right "play dumb"

2005 Honda Rubicon 500 4x4 with 27in Mud Bugs
Snorkeled 1987 Honda Fourtrax 250 2x4

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=13404593
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:23:08 AM »

It sounds like you have caused the engine to develop a knock. This is caused by lack of lubrication & it can be damage to the wrist pin in the piston or the rod cap end on the connecting rod.
The fact that there will be obvious damage from lack of lubrication will key any good mechanic in that the new oil was put there after the damage because you wont get that damage with oil in the motor.
You stand a better chance if you can get the oil to turn a little brown or black before taking it in. On the other hand you might blow the motor if you run it too much more.
good Luck & remember.......PLAY DUMB! If that dont work, get loud & play dumber!
Anoriginal

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »

FISH!! Where have you been man? I miss our point/counter point discussions and your intelligent posts produced in the same.

That sucks about your bike. I hope everything turns out good for you man.  Smiley
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »

changed due to the shame that Can-am-gator put on me,,,,,

trade it in, go buy a Honda, you wouldn't have had the same issue,,,,,a Honda would have drank in the new oil and never given you another problem.

Id@
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:15:17 AM by Ida_Mann » Logged

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
GrizzlyGator

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »

Great suggestions Guy's Roll Eyes (Lie about it  Angry...put bad oil back in it  Angry play dumb  Angry I wonder why we have some much trouble with warranty's these days and getting legitimate things fixed Sad maybe tell them what you did truthfully and let the chips fall where they may? You never know how it will end up.
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 10:53:25 AM »

Fish, whats up. We miss your BS on here.  How is riding out there?

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
KAW3604x4

I am a Florida Mud Rider!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

I have done the same thing, but luckily caught it before any damage was done. Embarrassed

Hop efor the best for you and your bike!

2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »

Great suggestions Guy's Roll Eyes (Lie about it  Angry...put bad oil back in it  Angry play dumb  Angry I wonder why we have some much trouble with warranty's these days and getting legitimate things fixed Sad maybe tell them what you did truthfully and let the chips fall where they may? You never know how it will end up.
Sorry, i forgot the Pope was a member on this forum. Please forgive me I have sinned. It dont matter what he says, their mechanic isnt getting paid to screw the shop D.A.! If there is damage or scoring it isnt covered by any warranty unless you can prove an oil pump failed.
I run a service shop & have heard it all. The bottom line is lack of lubrication in an engine is undeniable. I am sure I could even teach the pope what to look for in situations like this.
GrizzlyGator

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »

Bless You  Kiss greenmachine

their mechanic isnt getting paid to screw the shop D.A.!

By the way nice remark... you shouldn't let it get to you like that???  Wink

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 07:59:17 PM by Can-AmGator » Logged
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 08:52:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys, I would not really feel right about making too much of a fuss.  I will have to bite the bullet and take it in and start crying and hopefully they won't hurt me too much.

No need for you to PLAY DUMB. LOL Actually this happend ALOT with the King. Do that exactly...take her back and PLAY DUMB!!
  I do feel very dumb, stupid, arse hole and several other things but I will get over it........but not for a while.   Thanks for pointing that out Swampy

FISH!! Where have you been man? I miss our point/counter point discussions and your intelligent posts produced in the same.

That sucks about your bike. I hope everything turns out good for you man.  Smiley
  I'm lurking, just waiting to strike  Grin.
Fish, whats up. We miss your BS on here.  How is riding out there?

BS, it is truth I speak and nothing else  Grin.  The riding is awsome out here, mountains, desert, snow, rock and a lot of very nice trails.  Go to this website and check out the photo section and you will see some really pretty scenery http://www.atvobsession.com/.   

Thanks again for all the replies guys
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »

i didnt read the rest of the post so sory if its been mentioned but sounds to me like the clutch hub is loose, my buddys kfx did the same when the clutch hub came loose because his wonderfull mechanic didnt bend the wahser up that hold the bolt from coming loose, not a hard fix at all if your somewhat mechanicly inclined
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com