Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help fixing Quadrunner  (Read 19498 times)
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2005, 06:56:07 PM »

Hey i'm new to this forum but I am a member of highlifter. This is my first post and have a tec question about my 2001 suzuki 250 quadrunner. It won't run right. After about 2hours of slow or medium trail riding it starts to stall and sputter. It chokes a few times and then dies. Also if you ride for a while and then shut it off for about 10minutes then it won't fire without starting a war with the machine. You have to choke it and hold the starter and pump the gas and it will blow purple smoke and kinda choke back to life. Then you have to give it a running start and flor it. It will then all of the sudden just take off like it was clogged or somethin? I think it is the pilot jet. We have had the carbureator cleaned out, a new battery installed and all the connections checked. If you let it sit for a few minutes then it will fire right back up. It's a messed up machine and nobody on highlifter or my mechanic can even begin to figure out what the problem is. Figured i'd pick your brains on it. Wink

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:06:16 PM »

i have a 2001 250 quadrunner and if u run it for a while it dont wanna start withought pumping the throttle, and then it bows a lil smoke out and runs fine

05 450r #13B
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 07:10:57 PM »

WOW! I didn't think anyone else in Fl had a bike like mine. Mine after it shuts off once it keeps on unless I ride for awhile open about 20. It almost seems like it's overheating?Huh?

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »

Sounds like it could be running rich and fouling the plug.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 05:35:35 PM »

I was riding with a buddy this past weekend and he showed me a easier way to start it after it stalls. Just hit the starter and give it just a pinch of gas and it fires right up. No choke or nothin. By the way it isn't runnin rich because it would puff black smoke and the mechanic blew out the plug and it was in pretty good shape. Plus it would puff all the time and it isn't doing that. Thanks for the advice.  Also got to get a new clutch for it Angry This thing is a gigant monney pit on 4-wheeles

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 06:26:01 PM »

Hello.
Next time your bike does this. Remove the fuel tank cap wait about 30 seconds and try to start it.
It sounds like you may have a vapor/vacumm lock condition.
Post after you try this.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 06:48:34 PM »

Mars I think you are right. vent clogged ?

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
kodiak-jason

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »

Hey MadMudder ,pop the seat off and check the vent on the right side of the carb.,and make sure it is clear.Also pull the top off the carb and make sure there is no trash or condensation on top of the rubber boot.Also these style suzuki's are notorious for flooding the oil with fuel,and dont over fill with oil it will cause the same problem.Last but not least these bike's are very tempermental about valve adjustments so check that also.hope this helps,Jason

"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »

I checked the vent tube on the gas cap and it is clear. I  rode it yesterday in a mudhole (got stuck Grin) but that was only for about 30 minutes and it didn't messup at all. We haven't checked the valves since we have had it so we will check em. We have had the carbureator completly cleaned out awhile back. I have the right amout of oil so that might not be the problem. I'll check the vent and give yall a report. [smiley=Smile.gif]

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 03:13:29 PM »

I was talkin to one of my buddys today and he said that his old foreman 450 would run for 3 hours and then completly shut off. He said that it wound up being the timing. I think that is the problem. That is why it is dying out after i think. [smiley=Dead.gif]

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 04:42:57 PM »

I was talkin to one of my buddys today and he said that his old foreman 450 would run for 3 hours and then completly shut off. He said that it wound up being the timing. I think that is the problem. That is why it is dying out after i think. [smiley=Dead.gif]

Not timming but he may have a CDI (ignition) going bad.

You could pull the spark plug next time it dies and check for spark if you have no spark you may have a CDI going bad after it heats up.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »

That might be the problem because after a hour or so it decides it is quittin time.. If i rev it though it might sputter and i will save it from shutting off..

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 10:39:24 PM »

it sounds like a fuel problem, what mods are you running? if you have to touch the gas to start it you may want to increase you pilot jet. as far as the stalling out I agree with the CDI theroy. You can stop of and get an inline spark checker from any napa parts store and see what it is doing while your riding. Good luck
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 02:29:23 PM »

Thanks. I don't have anymods yet for it so it is completly stock. We have had the carb completly took apart and cleaned. I'm gonna get a spark checker dohickey from NAPA and gonna go on a ride behind my house and check it when it stalls. Give yall a report when i get back... Oh by the way if it is the inginition then why does it stay running a high speeds???

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 07:03:41 PM »

*BUMP* [smiley=abduct2.gif]

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 07:40:42 PM »

I like to bump this post back up for the new people here becasue i have had this on for about 6 months or so and the quad has had the problem for about 1 year and IT IS STILL NOT WORKING RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry [smiley=angry2.gif] [smiley=angry2.gif] [smiley=banghead.gif] [smiley=banghead.gif]

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 10:24:07 AM »

were you able to check for spark after it stalled?
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 10:58:31 AM »

No. I never got a chance to check it out. My dad told me to run it back up to the mechanic and have him take another look at it and also the clutch is going bad in it so that has to be fixed. I swear this thing is just a big money pit but, i'm stuck with it for about another year. By the way i can ride my quad up to the mechanic. Wink I am gonna check it later but the land closed behind my house because it got under new owner ship and the guy is a real @$$ hole.. Hates quads and when we said we'll ignore the NO TRESSPASSING signs we were busted by the fish and wildlife commision. [smiley=banghead.gif] Anyway i haven't had enough riding area to test it when it dies. Anyother ideas besides spark? One more thing though, if it starts to die and i get on the gas real hard i can sometimes save it. Then if i keep it moving fast it wont even sputter.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 08:55:13 PM »

Well, its about time.. This will be the last time you see this post because we fixed the problem. We took it to the suzuki delership and they had it for about 2 hours and they found out the problem. Turns out that there was a connection wire that had been moved too close to the frame and as the motor would run and heat up the frame the wire would heat up and the connection would split and the bike would shut off. After you let it cool down the wire would kinda close back up and it would have a connection again. Also there was too much oil in it and the filter was put on backwards.(operator error Grin). I do have one more question though, we have never had the valves adjusted since we had owned the bike. It is a 2001 and it has about 2500 miles on it. They adjusted them for us and they said that they were 3000 off? We acted like we knew what he was talkin about but we had no clue. Is it bad to have them off 3000? Just wonderin.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Redinjun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 01:52:35 AM »

3 thousanths off = .003 inches
kodiak-jason

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 09:13:52 AM »

Hey MadMudder,I take it you never checked the oil level or the valve clearances,back in Jan. like I recomended ? No big deal I'm glad you got it fixed, If you're gonna keep the bike I would get the optional engine cooling fan from suzuki for it,it's worth it's weight in gold.Jason

"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com