Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kodiak Help  (Read 18169 times)
1slowfox

Its just another slow banshee !!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2005, 09:09:55 AM »

Ok so I go this Kodiak 2000 ..

So I  rode it Monday night no problem then Tues , and yesterday I was riding and we where stopped in the woods and its died .. I think so ok maybe its just warm .. we sat there for a while neever started back up ..  I checked the oil  the gas , Its For sure getting gas but not any spark ..
My guess is that its either The coil or there is a little black box w/ 2 fuses that the + and - wire connect to ( I'am thinking starter solenoid that is clicking , But I think thats just cause the battery is low .. I have a coil on order any other suggestions ?? I was playing in the mudd a little  right before this happen ... I also drained the tank cause someone said it could be water in the tank and it has a Brand new plug in it !

Thanks
Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »

Let's start with the KISS method

If you have gas and spark then it should at least try to start. You say no spark, how did you determine this? Think it's the coil, maybe or it could be the CDI. The CDI needs to send a pulse, trigger the coil to spark. Could be shorting. I need more info.

1. Did it die when driving thru deep water?
2. Did you charge the battery?
3. Do you have another sparkplug?

kodiak-jason

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:06:43 AM »

Hey 1slowfox, first things first does it turn over ? You siad the solinoid is clicking,if it is clicking then it's not turning over so you cant check spark. If the battery is weak that could also cause a no spark condition. How deep was the water and mud you were riding in? There is a white relay either under your seat or above the right rear wheel,check the connection on that make sure it is clean. Also make sure the handle bar switch is making contact "move it back and forth real quick a couple of times" I have never replaced a coil on a kodiak. Trust me on this one just give a little more information and we'll have you back on the trail/mud. Jason

"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »

~ It died while we where just taking a break from riding in the woods .. Was at idle and it just died .. not in  water ...

~ The battery was low after trying to start it a few times SO we hooked a jump box up it and it had plenty of Power ..

~ I took the plug out and turned the engine over ( its should obviously spark like a car RIGHT ?)  thats was witha brand new Plug .. thats how I determined it didn't have any spark .. also check all of the relays and little connections under seat everything seemed to be just fine ..

Thanks

ED

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 06:55:18 AM »

Thanks for answering my questions. The reason I ask about a new plug is because I've seen sparkplugs burn or short out. Put a small diameter shank Phillips screwdriver in place of the plug and hold it to about a centimeter or less away from ground and crank it over. If the motor turns over at all even with a low battery you would still have spark. You can test the coil with an ohm meter. Look the resistance in the manual or call the dealer. Check to see if you are getting power to all the right places and check to see if you are getting pulse. CHECK ALL FUSES FIRST. Could just be moisture or corroded contacts. If you have a battery charger or car jumper cables the extra power from them could help clear the connection problem, if that is the problem. Keep us posted on the progress!

1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 07:48:49 AM »

Will do ...  The only Fuses that I have found are 2 on the what I'am guessing is the starter solenoid  Huh  I actually took all the plastic off last night so that way I would see all the wires and make sure that there were no cuts or breaks or anything of that sort ..  and just to clean it up a little...

I will try the screw driver thing tonigh .. I have a new coil on the way so if thats not It I guess I have a extra ..  I dunno  much about the cdi what i do know is that this sucks ass haven't had the thing a week and am already having problems ..  almost makes me wish I would have kept the shee ..

Embarrassed

ED

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 09:24:02 AM »

Try this website:
http://216.37.204.203/Yamaha_OEM/YamahaATV.asp

Select your year and model. You should find Electrical under the Frame Section. It should help you for finding fuses or other parts.

1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 09:59:30 AM »

Thanks ..

I also for got to mention last night while taking the  plastics off I noticed that the from intake for the gear case was off ..  and I had been driving through water tues .. I guess theres no was getting around water getting in there .. I went to home depot and made my own snorkels for it now .. Just gonna change the oils and hope for the best ! well after I get it running anyways !

ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 10:05:17 AM »

Also .. I dont see any other fuses on there  its sucks cause there not listed ... I'am debating on taking it some where Just dont wanna spend $1000 bucks on the damned thing ..

MAN F' ! I should have just kept the banshee !!

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 10:35:15 AM »

SPS service dept WTF ? They say they cant help over the phone I'd have to bring it .. well F' that ! They say if the coil or cdi box got wet it could be messed up to? how the hell the damn thing is made for those kind of conditions ..  I guess I'am going to buy some electrical cleaner tonigh and do all of my connections ....  Another thing I hate about SPS if always having to wait a Freaking week for crap to come in WTF is up with that crap !

ATP ? Or any other local shops if you have any tips plese lemme know .. Cause If I dont get this thing fixed soon its going to comming to one of you local shops !

ED

I <3 Fiberglass !
Pepe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 01:48:38 PM »

Try putting a old plug because my friend has a 400 big bear and some time if it wouldn't start he just puts a old spark plug and then it start up fine. Try this

2004 Green Yamaha Kodiak 450 Auto. 4x4
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »

I would say stay with the KISS method. Get the battery charged. Check for a drain on the gear case in question. Get a new sparkplug. Looks like from the exploited view it should be on the front bottom right side of the cover (your right side sitting on the bike). If I was to take a guess from you wrote I would say that steam coming off the engine from riding thru water is in one of your contacts, switches or plugs. The CDI which triggers the coil sits under the back left fender above the tire and has 3 plugs in it. I would get electrical cleaner and dielectric grease and go to town on the bike. Again start with the basics first.

1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 09:14:41 PM »

Ok so I found the fuses and stuff and checked all of them and cleaned all of the connections .. charged it for a while and it didn't start up , BUT The batter didn'tlast long SO I dont think it was up to Par... I Charge it Tom OR Sunday and see whats happens .. It didn't even have any spark tonight though either .. also my cdi box only has 2 plugs ..

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 12:52:35 PM »

Thanks for the help ... Roll Eyes

But seriously thanks to the ones who tried to help , But its still not running .. I guess I will just have to wait and have it fixed ...

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
Pepe

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »

Check the spark plug connectton

2004 Green Yamaha Kodiak 450 Auto. 4x4
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 08:46:31 AM »

I wish I knew more about the Kodiak, but don't know anyone who has one that broke. I would just follow the connections, check voltage and resistance from the switch to the coil. If you find out what it is please post it here for the next guy with this problem.

1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 08:49:25 AM »

Oh if I figure it out ...  I will def.  post what it was ..

Thank you agian for your help guys ..

I dont mean to be a smart ass it just really sucks big ones ..  and with all the people fightin w/everyone else its seems like no body is intrested in the rest of the site  Huh

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »

So I gotta new coil and sti8ll no FIRE ..

I'am  guessing that it has to vbe something Eletrical ?

Any other ideas ?

Thanks
ED

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »

CDI sends the signal to the coil. Check the connections. I had a simular issue with a Suzuki in the water. The CDI blew out.

1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 07:02:00 AM »

All of the clip connetions are good .. unless its a splice in the harness I really Dont wanna rip into the harness .. I'am debating on just ordering a cdi .. but I would hate to buy a $250 item and that not be the problem..
I was thinking about tryong to see if my buddy will lemme use his cdi off his bruin but I doubt he will !

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2005, 08:13:13 AM »

There are ways of testing the CDI. If I had a Kodiak I would let you use mine to test. Maybe someone here has one. Now there is a trigger sent from the crankshaft to the CDI that then sends to the coil if the connections are good. It might be cheaper taking it to a dealer/shop. Have them diagnose and tell you what's wrong. Tell them you can't afford to fix right now, buy the parts and put on yourself. Make sure when you bring it to them you get in writing that they will not work on the bike without your permission.

IT200

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 09:39:22 AM »

This is probably a stator problem yamahas are famous for this it is located under the side cover. There is an easy way to test both your pickup and source in your stator. All you need is a cheap ohm meter. Once you have the ohm meter call ricky at WWW.RICKYSTATOR.COM he will be able to give you the specs and which wires to connect the ohm meter too.

Polaris 500 4x4
Yamaha Warrior
Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4
Suzuki DRZ 400
kodiak-jason

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 11:44:28 AM »

Find the wires coming frome the stator/pickup coil/source coil. I think there is three. On the engine side of the harness measure the resistance between all three, They should all be real close in resistance, if not replace the stator assembly. Jason

"I Can Fix It" 1998 kodiak lots of stuff,1995 king quad lots of stuff,2002 recon little bit of stuff,2001 breeze just tires,1985 atc 70 stock,1990 zuma modded,1995 yzf 600 pipe & power pack,2007 zzr600 carbs shimmed & slip on,2007 crf 150 stock
1slowfox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 07:59:26 AM »

Well yesterday I got to messing around witha test light and was checking connections and if I put the test light probe on the
postives side of the coil and try and turn it over the test light never lites up like it is not getting any kinda power source at all !

Ed

I <3 Fiberglass !
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 08:13:26 AM »

If you were using a 12 volt test light then I would think Stator and/or CDI is the issue. If you had a manual or another Kodiak you could test resistance and compare. Maybe someone in this forum with a Kodiak would be nice enough to get some resistance values for you to test by.

What year and specific model is this Kodiak?

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com