Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to jump  (Read 4944 times)
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2005, 05:01:34 PM »

what do we have like lean and hold in the clutch or what

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 05:18:18 PM »

pull the cluth in and hit the rear brake to bring you nose down. or shift up a gear. rev the gas to bring up you front end. i like to give a little gas right befor i take off to keep my front end up just in case.

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »

y do i shift up ? but i do hold in the clutch

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
53yfz450
Supreme Member

Following hurts more than Leading!!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 06:13:07 PM »

you shift up if your nose is to high because its actually dropping the rear end. you dont always have to pull in the clutch when you jump.

WEB SITE IS COMING BACK UP SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   
  http://HTTP://GANDGRACING.COM CHECK IT OUT!!!!!!

http://myspace.com/jakegunn53

motocross is all about momentum if you hit it doin a 100 ya gonna  make it across.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:02:58 PM »

If you have to ask................

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 07:09:40 PM »

Grin
If you have to ask................

and the answer is Huh  Grin the suspense is cruel
WidowMaker

Death Before Dishonor...

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »

Umm....I just hold the throttle down...(i dont suggest letting off the throttle before a big jump at a decent rate of speed)
gery350
Supreme Member

no guts, no glory

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:32:21 PM »

"how to jump"- fast and hard

hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 12:55:59 PM »

get a chain and cement block and wrap the chain around your neck and hold the cement block in your hands! Grin

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
96 warrior

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »

go fast and hope for the best Grin

96 (and a 98) warrior
HondaBeaterSFL

I shoulda packed a lunch or two.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 08:50:29 PM »

I usually hit a jump wide open, then hope it works out

Truck
ATV
Fishing pole
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2005, 10:26:53 AM »

I usually just yell GERRRONIMOOOO . Works Great  Grin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 10:27:57 AM by J.D. » Logged

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
Yamaha72
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 07:20:19 PM »

Look at this I found it on the DirtWheels magazine website should help a little bit... Wink Wink

--HOW TO JUMP--

What’s the best part about riding ATVs? There’s simply nothing like hitting a jump, be it a tiny bump, a huge double, or maybe a kicker at the dunes. The feeling of floating through the air is hard to beat. Throw in some style and you can impress your friends even more. How can you do it safely?

What’s the best part about riding ATVs? Some would say full-on, throttle-to-the-max powerslides. Others might argue for trail riding or mud bogging. Still others might suggest dune riding, wheelies, or high-speed racing as the most fun thing to do when riding quads. But hey, let’s not forget getting air. There’s simply nothing like hitting a jump, be it a tiny bump, a huge double, or maybe a kicker at the dunes. The feeling of floating through the air is hard to beat. Throw in some style and you can impress your friends even more. How can you do it safely?

It goes without saying that safety gear is a must. We suggest a full complement of gear, including boots, gloves, long pants, helmet, goggles and perhaps some body armor. Any activity that involves tossing yourself and a three-to-five hundred pound machine up into the air requires good safety gear.

FUNDAMENTALS

The most basic thing to remember while doing a jump on your quad is to take off and land with the front wheels slightly higher than the rear wheels. Keeping the position of the quad at this angle is important. You want to touch down with the rear wheels first. This will give you a smoother landing than hitting front wheels first or all four wheels at the same time.

Another basic fundamental of jumping is for the rider to be in a standing position, or at least have your behind raised up off the ATV’s seat. Along with the ATV’s suspension, you need to use your own legs as suspension. With your behind planted on the seat you could bounce up off the quad when it slams into the ground, compresses, and then rebounds back up. Allowing the quad to move around underneath you is the key to staying in control. Preparing for a jump in the semi-standing attack position allows you to suddenly move your body forward, aft or side to side to correct the quad’s take off angle.

There are two basic ways to get your quad at the preferred jumping angle: body position and throttle position. Typically, when you approach a jump you are slightly standing with your weight a little more to the rear of center to make the quad’s front end lighter. You want to keep a steady throttle to prevent the front of the quad from suddenly nosing down after it becomes airborne. If you feel that you are going too fast for a particular jump, slow down before it and then get off the brakes and blip the throttle right at launch. Not too much throttle and not too little. For each and every quad it takes practice to find the right point. That is why you should always begin with small jumps when riding a new or different quad for the first time.

GETTING MORE ADVANCED

Sometimes everything doesn’t go as planned when you and your quad start to become airborne. Maybe the face of the jump is steeper than you thought. By pulling up on the handlebars and blasting a handful of throttle your machine is pointing up in a more vertical position than you’d like. What do you do? First, you try to move your weight forward while pushing down on the bars. In addition to this you should shut off the throttle and hit the rear brakes. Yes, even in the air your brakes can help you. By suddenly stopping the rotation of the rear wheels the inertia is transferred to the front of the quad causing it to rotate down to some degree. Feather the clutch when you hit the brakes so the engine won’t stall on landing. When landing with the front end too high, have the throttle off and your body position forward, be prepared for the handlebars to jerk forward. You don’t want to be pitched over the front and have your quad run over you.

Another unplanned scenario is having the rear of your quad kick up right as you hit a jump, having the quad flip over forward—the infamous endo—and you most certainly want to avoid this kind of crash. If you find that your rear wheels are way higher than the front wheels after becoming airborne, immediately move your weight as far back on the quad as possible. At the same time nail the throttle wide open. The sudden increase in rear wheel rotation will cause the front of the quad to rotate slightly in the opposite direction. Meaning, the rear end will drop down as the front end moves up, giving your quad a better chance of landing closer to a horizontal position.

KEEPING IT STRAIGHT

The proper technique for jumping a quad is very similar to jumping a dirt bike. But one thing a quad rider has to deal with that dirt bike riders don’t is keeping the right side even with the left side. In other words, you want to avoid being tilted when the quad leaves the ramp of a jump. Landing this way can be bone jarring and it is more likely to bend an axle.

Sometimes it happens, though. Just before getting air the left wheels hit a bump that the right wheels don’t. The quad kicks up and leans to the right while you are airborne. What you want to do is correct the mid-air flight pattern so that both rear wheels touch down at the same time. You do this by shifting your weight to the left. This is another reason why you need to be standing on the footpegs, rather than sitting down. It’s easier to shift your body’s weight to your left leg or right leg if you are off the seat and riding loose.

Another thing that can occur while catching air is your quad getting sideways. Maybe you were hard on the gas and the rear tires were spinning out to the side as you left the ground. What do you do? First of all, keep the front wheels pointed in the direction the quad should be going if it were straight. Lean your body to the opposite side of the kicked out rear end, stay on the throttle and hang on. If you follow these tips then usually the quad will straighten itself out as it returns back to earth.

TAKE YOUR TIME

When watching other riders flying twenty feet high off of jumps, keep in mind they may have many years of riding experience. Don’t automatically think you can safely pull off the same aerial maneuver just because you are on the same kind of quad. If you are a new rider, be patient and work your way up with practice. The bigger the jump and the faster the speed, the more quickly things can go wrong. There is no substitute for riding experience. Develop your technique and skill on the small jumps first.

Remember the basics to doing jumps: wear a helmet and protective riding gear. Have fun and we’ll see you out on the trail.

KORY ELLIS PRO POINTERS: THE CHAMP’S NOTES ON JUMPING

• Never jump anything that’s too big for your abilities!

• Roll over the jump first to check out the ramp and landing areas.

• The first time you take a jump, do it slower so that any unexpected problems can be dealt with safely. An off-camber landing or sketchy ramp won’t take you by surprise.

• While in the air, be looking ahead at the landing zone to spot for rocks, obstacles, or other riders.

• Use your body as a shock absorber. Ride loose, not stiff.

• Throttle helps with low front end, but not like a motorcycle. A quad is heavier. Same with rear brakes when the front is too high. If you do hit the brakes, use clutch so the engine won’t stall on you.

• Jumping in the dunes requires more momentum as sand slows you down quickly. Sand also changes quickly so watch your takeoff lip and landing as they may have been altered.

• Land with the gas on in sand. If you’re too slow, landing in soft sand can make your quad come to a halt and pitch you over the bars. •
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 07:24:26 PM by Yamaha72 » Logged

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150
raptor426

Its 5'oclock somewhere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 10:12:17 AM »

Before you hit the jump, keep the throttle steady and stand up and bend your knees a little.  Then once your in the air, try to land with your front tires just a little above your rear tires.  When your in the air, hit the rear brakes to bring the front end down and give it gas to bring the back end down.  You can also lean side to side to keep it level.  Go to www.dirtwheelsmag.com then go to riding tips then click on how to jump.  They post a lot of good tips on how to jump.

2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400
wheelie_boy
Supreme Member

Its Fast

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 09:51:10 PM »

"how to jump"- fast and hard

LOL. Thats how you do it.  Just make sure you DONT let off before you take off!!!

05 kx 250f
Exmx54
Supreme Member

MX rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 02:54:21 PM »

Don't worry about the brakes or giving it gas in the air, save that for when you get more advanced, when first learning how to jump, start on tabletops, and work your way up until you can land smoothly on the downslope of the landing, then when you're going to hit a double, just image it as a tabletop. On your first couple tries on a double, make sure you pull up on the bars to keep your front end a little higher, to make sure you don't nose dive. If you come up a little short, but your frontend doesn't hit first, just keep the gas nailed, and you'll ussualy be able to make it.
Lost Soul

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 05:04:49 PM »

You don't want to hit a jump in anything less than 5th gear for reasons that are far to complicated to get into hear.

And remember accelerate through the face of the jump, otherwise people will call you a panzie, and you don't want that do you?

Actually, there is one secret to getting big air safely....first you have to...(Oh crap, dinnertime, I'll let you know later)

Peace Out
Lost Soul

(It's called a knack-knack)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com