Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Race! Anything I should know?  (Read 11869 times)
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 28, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »

Finally...35yrs old...going to head down to Myakka for the QS Jan. 12th.  First race and I must admit I'm a bit nervous.  Any helpful tips/hints would be appreciated.  I'm planning on riding the 30+ "C" class.  I've got a YFZ 450.
Thanks in advance,
Pat

Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!
predatorracer8

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:45 PM »

dont be nervous i race ftr as well its good people hangin out havin a good time. if you need any help ill be there in a silver sante fe with a u-haul trailer.
Scott270r

Mystic Motorsports #5

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:48:01 PM »

Try not to ride over your head in the heat of the moment. Relax as much as possible(you might feel like throwing up before the start......This is normal) Once it begins ride hard and smooth and try to find a good fast rythm.

Look over everything on your bike before the race. Clean it up good and make sure the filter is clean, the oil is fresh, the chain is lubed and adjusted correctly.(tighten all the bolts...those rascals always come out in a race!)

.....Don't get discouraged if you do poorly, let it motivate you to be better next time out. And most of all have fun!!  Cool

1998 GFTL Open Pro Champion
2006 SFTL Open Class Champion

......Thanks Derek

Mystic Motorsports - 3 Time Champions....Congratulations Derek on a great 2010 season!!!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/scott270r/Race_Mystic.jpg
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 10:50:56 PM »

I am not a racer, but I do have a bit of advice.... HAUL AZZ AND HAVE A BLAST!!!

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
TRX470r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »

Be ready to have a great time!!! this is my 1st season racing (+30 C) and I am hooked. I was also a bit nervous my 1st race, more about finishing the 2hrs than anything. The good thing is everyone is helpful and friendly and the events are well put together. tips would be... try to get a good holeshot and maintain a good pace. My 1st race i had a lot of issues with my Tether Kill Switch so the bike kept on turning off. Also if you do not have a Damper you may want to consider getting one. That was one of the main things that got me was the arm pump. Other than that I am still learning myself lol but it is all well worth it.

See you in Myakka

Bernardo #8

05' Honda TRX450r  FTR #8  +30C
predatorracer8

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 10:58:36 PM »

Try not to ride over your head in the heat of the moment. Relax as much as possible(you might feel like throwing up before the start......This is normal) Once it begins ride hard and smooth and try to find a good fast rythm.

Look over everything on your bike before the race. Clean it up good and make sure the filter is clean, the oil is fresh, the chain is lubed and adjusted correctly.(tighten all the bolts...those rascals always come out in a race!)

.....Don't get discouraged if you do poorly, let it motivate you to be better next time out. And most of all have fun!!  Cool

yes about the throwing up part, it happens.
lawn_man mx
Supreme Member

dont forget your wings! sky is the limit!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 11:25:26 PM »

just try to finish the race !!!! +30 c class is a big class     have fun.   relax  and ride your own race     don't ride over your head  and you be good .   and don't worry  if you feel like trowing up !! LOL   that's  normal    good luck pat. Grin

05 yfz houser hiper  elka rpm alba   03 cr125   05 f350 fx4     braaauuuupppp !!!!  ftr +30B #58
klutchbuster400
Supreme Member

Cuz the chicks dig it.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »

If you have to throw up, aim it at the guy next to you. I guarentee you wont be last out of that start Wink
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:29:16 AM »

Don't try to race everyone, you will crash trying to keep up with the gfaster guys. Ride at a comfortable pace. Race the track not the other guys. The first lap is usually the hardest one because you are so pumped up. Try to get through the first lap and you should do OK.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
slam1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:42:35 AM »

I had more problems during the race with the throwing up thing. Just remember if you puke while racing lift the front of your helmet up or it will turn into a puke fest.

Jon Perkins 66C 0-400
http://www.thesportslift.com
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:19:33 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'm in the process of getting the red number plats, kill switch on my bike and will probably get a chest protector! How does the race itself work? Several laps around? If so, I guess the faster riders will be constantly passing me.  Just keep my line right?
Pat

predatorracer8

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:25:01 AM »

its a 2 hour race you do as many laps around as you can. usually plenty of places to pass so if they want to theyll get around. but the start is a dead engine start , they sound a horn you take your hands off your helmet start up and go. who ever does the most laps wins.
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »

Sounds good...equipment/gear wise...what is recommended for this type of race? Motorcross boots? Chest protector? Tear offs? Camelback?
Pat

predatorracer8

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:17:25 PM »

definately camel back its possible to do it without one but best if you have one, any race you should have good motocross boots, chest protector, riding pants and jersrey, good helmet and goggles(you most likely wont need tear offs unless its muddy)
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions...I'm in the process of getting the red number plats, kill switch on my bike and will probably get a chest protector! How does the race itself work? Several laps around? If so, I guess the faster riders will be constantly passing me.  Just keep my line right?
Pat

The course is 7 to 10 miles long. If the faster riders lap you it will only be once. Once you get going and eveyone spreads out chances are you won't see to many other people.

predatorracer8

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 01:44:47 PM »

Pat

The course is 7 to 10 miles long. If the faster riders lap you it will only be once. Once you get going and eveyone spreads out chances are you won't see to many other people.

ya thats true
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »

Don't be afraid to ask any questions on the forum or at the races.  Everyone is very friendly and will help you out.

Picking Myakka will be a great first race to attend.  There have been several races on that property and everyone of them has been a blast.

Racing is so much fun.  Once you do it you'll be hooked.

Since it's your first time racing at sign up you'll need to purchase a transponder and join FTR.  The transponder is $20 and FTR membership for a year is $50. 

It's a little bit to spend initially but after that it is just the entry fee for each race.  It is well worth the money.

As far as equipment goes you'll definitely need a full face helmet, goggles, gloves, jersey, long pants or riding pants and boots.

For your bike, if you don't have them already nerf bars are a good idea but not required.

You are required to have a tether kill switch and 2 number plates.  One to mount on the front and one for the back.   

Bring numbers or tape with you that stands out on your plates that you can use to make numbers.  If you decide you like it you can get fancy numbers made up.

If you have a number in mind at the sign up trailer they can tell you if it's available.

Check out the FTR  site and rule book. 

http://www.floridatrailriders.org/

http://www.floridatrailriders.org/rules/Rules.htm

See you in Myakka.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
slam1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 06:15:41 PM »

Ken covered just about everything. You may want to also make sure your spark arrestor is in they will tech you if you dont have a tech. inspection sticker, and they may tech. you after you get your sticker so keep it in. Some think they are slick and take em out before the race. Rumor has it that's coming to an end real soon.

Jon Perkins 66C 0-400
duroc825
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »

If you've never raced before I would suggest you don't worry about the hole shot especially in the 30+ C class it has a lot of people in it and could get hairy if its your first race. For anyones first race they should only worry about finishing and let the rest come as you get more involved. If you get a couple of laps into it and feel like quitting, DON"T QUIT, just slow down and enjoy the ride. That way you can say you finished. Good luck and welcome to the best addiction you'll ever find!
ucfneed2ride
Supreme Member

'07 Brute Force 750

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »

How strict are they they about the sound limits? I am going to try to make it to this race for my first time as well, and dont want to go all the way over there and not be able to race. I know my bike is loud, just not sure how loud.

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »

How strict are they they about the sound limits? I am going to try to make it to this race for my first time as well, and dont want to go all the way over there and not be able to race. I know my bike is loud, just not sure how loud.

They will let ride. More than likely you will be told to make it quieter for next time.

predatorracer8

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »

96-97 decibel and youll pass thats the rule.
slam1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »

I know they will let you race if its to loud but I dont think they will let you race without a spark arrestor. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure they wont.

Jon Perkins 66C 0-400
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »

I've helped do the tech inspection at a few of the races.  No spark arrestor and you'll get sent back to the trailer.  Bikes get checked at practice and at a couple races there have been random checks on the line.

If your pipe is loud because of a lot of hours on it, try repacking it.  Technically, the limit is 96 +/- 1.5 DB.  If you show up with a loud pipe for the first race you'll be allowed to run, by the next race you'll be expected to be with in the limit.

If you need a new silencer there are a lot of quiet pipes out there that meet or have a sound output much lower than the limit. 

Very cool to see some new people interested in quad racing!

For you first timers get ready for a lot of fun.  See you out there.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
Pat

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

What is the drive time from Orlando? About 2hrs?
Pat

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com