Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: atv/motocross/utv shop  (Read 5059 times)
fastestford

Shut Up & Race!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »

i'm looking for opinions on what riders want to see in a shop? type of parts gear special orders? I really would value everybodys ideas. thanks
shogun323
Supreme Member

Fuzzy Pickles #1 Dancer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:17:20 AM »

For one, I would like to see a Carmax sales style. Let me qualify that. I think it is rediculous when you go to buy a quad and have to play "the game" like you do at a car dealership. I wanna know the price up front and not waste 35 minutes talking to a sales kid and then battling it out with a finance manager.

Furthermore, I would like a wide selection of riding gear, bike accessories, as well as products for servicing such as oil, chain wax, cleaners.

Full service and repair.

To me the ideal place is a privately owned, 1 stop shop.

"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein
The Dealer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:27:19 AM »

Absolutely! Nothing makes you want to buy a bike more than a friendly sale! Trust me, I know, I own a dealership! Be upfront and let them know the bottom line right off the bat with no hidden fees. I don't think twice about walking out when I hear that the rebate all of a sudden doesn't apply or there is $3000 in hidden fees. Be honest!

Second, Carry the odd-ball stuff. Nothing makes me happier than hearing about a great, but hard to find product on-line and going into a shop and seeing it there. Just set it up the way YOU would like to be treated and fill it with the kind of stuff YOU wish every shop you ever went into had.

For service and repair....well, that is up to your skills. Just dont be one of the shops that fixes it......for a few weeks and then your back in again!!!!! Do it right the first time and be reasonable and competative on the price. I would rather take less profit in turn for a long lasting customer base!

2008 Thundercat on 29"s (All mine!!!)
2001 400EX (Son)
2001 Rancher (Daughter)
1 sweet electric golf cart (Wife)
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »

I think normal wear and tear items.

brake pads
oil filters
chain & sprockets
rear carriers bearing and seals
tires
grips
bars
levers
kill switch
I will try to think of more later.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:51:34 AM »

Pretty much the things you guys said. But also a lot of miscellaneous screws, nuts and bolts. Whenever I go into a shop for a screw or bolt they never have it.

HONDA CRF450R
qt314nfla

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:26 AM »

I'd like to go into a shop where someone in the repair department has even the slightest bit of knowledge about what I'm talking about.  I have never found a shop that knows crap about quads.  I know more than they do and can figure that out in less than the first 5 minutes of talking to them.  Well I take that back Suzuki of Sarasota is the only one w/ a service manager that knows crap.  He is one of us and taught me to work on mine before he started there.

Most of them specialize in street bikes and are clueless.  I wouldn't take my quad to a clueless shop so they can charge me max time for service when I could have gotten the job done quicker and for less doing it myself.

I think as far as gear you might consider checking out Cycle Gear and their prices.  They seem to have the best prices in town on it.  If you can compete w/ them you might do better on that type of stuff.
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

RACE LIKE ITS GOING TO BE YOUR LAST RACE!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:15 AM »

how about wearable stock parts.

clutch plates
bolts
pistons
cylinders
bearings

GrizzlyGator

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:52:43 AM »

Second, Carry the odd-ball stuff. Nothing makes me happier than hearing about a great, but hard to find product on-line and going into a shop and seeing it there.

Yeah! Great! so the customer can go look at it feel it then go back home and order 30% cheaper on line  Roll Eyes
tony pitts
Supreme Member

Life's short, ride hard.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »

i'm looking for opinions on what riders want to see in a shop? type of parts gear special orders? I really would value everybodys ideas. thanks
they want you to spend all your money, to stock your store. so you can give it to them for less than you paid for it. then they want to return it because is it is not what they thought it would be.after you special ordered it for them. I opened an atv and dirtbike shop thinking it would be great.boy was i ever wrong. it was the most expensive mistake i ever made. so unless you have enough  money to compete with walmart goodluck

buzzardman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:02:38 PM »

Regardless of what's in stock and what colors of clothing lines a shop carries,  for a small shop it's all about customer service.  People go to smaller "mom and pop" type shops becuase they have usually had bad luck with customer service from the big dealerships.  So as long as the atmosphere is friendly and the tech knowlege is there, you should have your regular customers you can count on.  Nobody in thier right mind would expect any shop to carry all the parts for each ride.  As long as it can be ordered in a timely manner with good support from the shop keeper, that should do. 
my 2 cents worth anyway
fastestford

Shut Up & Race!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »

thanks for all the input so far i want to take it all into consideration.. and please if you are in the area stop by! Insane Offroad..
94Hardbody4x4
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:39:51 PM »

Is it already up and running? Post up some pics of the shop.

Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!
predatorracer8

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »

i would say have a good gear selection, your basic fluids oil,brake,coolant etc. have a quick and efficient working service department. and if you dont have a part someone needs i think i speak on behalf of the majority of people, i would rather you charge me a couple extra bucks and get it here in a couple days. then get the basically free shipping and have it in 2 weeks some of us race on here and nothing makes me madder than missing a race because of shipping. good luck with the shop ill probably drop in one day. hopefully when i get out of high school i can have my own too.
fastestford

Shut Up & Race!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »

yes  it is up and running i'll get some pics on soon thanks for input everyone.
fastestford

Shut Up & Race!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 09:12:02 AM »

Here is the front of our store...we're in New Port Richey!!

* shop.jpg (53.61 KB, 640x480 - viewed 150 times.)
4MANFREAK

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 04:11:18 PM »

Inventory, Knowledge & Customer Service...  

2006 FOREMAN 500 4x4
2004 Rancher 350 4x4
2002 400 EX
1997 FOREMAN 400 4x4
them450rboyz

Go big or dont come.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:03 PM »

Here is the front of our store...we're in New Port Richey!!
I actually went in there about 2 days ago?
Not a bad start and ill def be in there in the future im sure.

99 416ex
'Nuff said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com