Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: what would you do
slap on the wrist, don't do that again and let them go on their way.
dock pay
thanks for waiting till you had nothing to do and I'm glad your education is important to you.
talk for an hour to try to make the employee understand that they are stealing from the company

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: calling all bosses and small business owners....  (Read 26997 times)
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »

Decision One is always hiring, Ida! If you're really as good as you say you are....

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.asp?JobID=62840499&JobTitle=Senior+Customer+Service+Engineer&fn=543&lid=385&brd=1&cy=us&vw=b&AVSDM=2007-09-24+12%3a28%3a00&pg=1&seq=2

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2007, 11:51:48 PM »

AS A past business owner I know how hard good employees are hard to find. If YOU explained what you did as far as work and there was nothing left to do and since it was your day off....................I as an employer would be happy I didnt have to sit there & do the work myself. I would have paid you for the day & been appreciative of you coming in & saving the day. Otherwise I would have had to cut my trip to the strip club short.

If I were you I would ask for a raise Wink

If that dont work tell him to deduct the $3.75 or whatever minimum wage is now from your check!

kawasakimojaverider
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »

email regarding above,,,obviously names have been changed.

Hello IdaMann,

It has come to my attention from several sources that you were on the clock doing homework today.  I would like to listen to what you have to say in explanation before I make a decision on what the recourse will be if any.  At this time, until we have the meeting, I have asked MGT to reduce your hours until this matter has been resolved to our mutual satisfaction.

Please contact me by cell to arrange a time for us to meet,

Sincerely,

Bossman, As President

i dont own a company but im the foreman for a lawn crew and if i seen that you were done with all of your work early and i seen you working on your homework on company time i would be proud that your still working and keeping your self busy instead of playing on the equipment and waisting gas or sitting around. when i see somebody on my crew messing around or (my favorite) texting or talking on the phone for more than about 5 minutes when there supose to be working ill get on to them about it and if they get smart with me i just call the boss and let him know that we need another guy for the crew and tell the guy that got smart with me to start walking when you go to the meeting just keep a cool head and if they fire you just let it go and be the better man and walk away cause when you go to another job and you fill out a resume you can put them down as a reference and if there good people than they will give you a good report
bignickwaite

yee haww

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 12:43:09 AM »

tell him to pound sand.

bignickwaite

yee haww

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 12:47:20 AM »

actually ya know what. give me his # ill call him and tell him to pound sand.

kawasakimojaverider
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »

actually ya know what. give me his # ill call him and tell him to pound sand.
lol  Boxer
GrizzlyGator

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 07:11:41 AM »

sounds to me like managment has this hypothetiocal problem  Wink with this hypothetical employee  Wink quite often??? Maybe there is more Dirt; I mean history here that we don't know about...in this hypothetical story  Undecided?  otherwise seems to me pretty extreme to me to have a closed door meeting with an employee over the "explanation of what YOU said happened" always two sides to the story my bro. man...I am a Gen Mgr. with over 30+ employees....if what your story says is true take Uncle Rico advise...if there is some missing parts to the story that we didn't get to hear then..then this hypothetical employee should take his/her medicine and strive to become a better employee Grin   
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:32 AM »

It seen to me Ida that he is pissed off about something and letting things cool down before talking to you. but thats a good thing and also show that he a good boss.

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »

Let him slide. I manage people all day every day. With the lack of qualified people to pick from he sounds like a good one. He came in when you asked on his day off. He still had to accomplish his goal as well. Sounds like a person that is goal orientated. They are hard to replace. Whats his number, I will call him and see if he wants to work on Marine Electronics. Roll Eyes     

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 08:25:41 AM »

Theres nothing wrong with that.  I'm not a boss or small business owner but I know I am not stupid.  You called the guy in on work on his day off, he came in promptly, did what he needed to.  Then he worked on his paper that was MORE important.  I doubt he wants to flunk out of his school versus work for a jackass.

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »

Like Can-AmGator said, If something in this story is missing, then look at the whole case different. If its axactly as written, then explain that you came in on your day off and completed all work that had to be done except closing the store. So you figured that you would use the rest of your time wisely by trying to get the homework that you normally would do on your day off, done. If you then see it going south and see that you will be fired anyways, then be the better man and stand up, shake his hand and say that its been a pleasure working for you. You will feel the pride later and be a stand up guy in the end, which will lead to a good reference down the road. Keep in mind that you only work 15 hours a week and there are a lot of people looking for good part time employees. Its not like your leaving a full time job.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 09:05:16 AM »

there are two things I left out now that I think about it;

1. bossman brought up another "incident" where this same employee was doing the same thing about three months ago and publicly berated them in front of two other employees,,,,it was later brought to the bossman's attention that the employee was off the clock and was watching the phones as a courtesy during his lunch break.

2. bossman will frequently wear a t-shirt on his days off that says "I hug trees", owns two hybrids, thinks Al Gore should be elected president for the next 30 years, buys nothing but "green friendly" products and, holds annual "Earth Day" celebrations at his house,,,,,get the picture?

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 09:15:07 AM »

With that being said. If he is the manager and not the actual owner. I would let the owner know that since you ride quads that the manager has something against you because he is a tree hugger. And something needs to be done with him or you will sue the company for keeping this idiot on. (Keep in mind that I'm no lawyer and this may not work)  Grin  If that doesn't work then have someone to buy the land across the street and open an ATV park.  Grin

TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »

Well if the meeting turns ugly then the person should bring up that it was there day off,and after they finished all there work they started doing homework.If the boss is worth a crap they will understand that the employee not only finished their work after coming into help out the situation but they also used spare time wisely by furthering there education and if the boss doesn't understand that.Then next time the boss is in a bind and he calls on your day off wanting you to fill in for someone else just dont answer your house phone and if they call your cell phone tell them you would but your out of town visiting family .

If you like the job and want to keep it I agree 100% with above except for the part about avoiding him next time he has a day off. I would make it clear that next time don't call me in on my day off if you're not going to work with me.

If you don't care about the job then tell him how you really feel. LOL

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »

I try to keep my shop small and personable (if that is a word) if you did me a favor by coming in on your day off, then I would let you do your homework as long as customers have been taken care of and work is caught up.  Sounds to me like boss didn't want to come in, I can tell you from a owners perspective, many many problem with companies is owners try to fade out of the picture and let management run their company.  Then the company starts to go down hill, I have seen it multiple times (I have even worked for a few) NO one will run the company like the owners will, so I try to be involved a little with everthing BUT you have to APPRECIATE your employees efforts to work for you.  Smiley

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
GrizzlyGator

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2007, 09:41:08 AM »

1. bossman brought up another "incident" where this same employee was doing the same thing about three months ago and publicly berated them in front of two other employees,,,,it was later brought to the bossman's attention that the employee was off the clock and was watching the phones as a courtesy during his lunch break.

2. bossman will frequently wear a t-shirt on his days off that says "I hug trees", owns two hybrids, thinks Al Gore should be elected president for the next 30 years, buys nothing but "green friendly" products and, holds annual "Earth Day" celebrations at his house,,,,,get the picture?

Wish that was in your first story!!!! OK screw him ha ha ha.....sounds to me as if this guy might need some management 101 classes you know leadership training etc...there are a lot of people in management positions these days soley because when they were hired as an hourly employee they showed up on time, showed some initiative, learned the job etc. management saw some potential in them and moved them into a supervisory role. Many of these people I've just described are not able to handle the stresses, the varying personalites of the employees & they lack the organizational skills that a required to run a business or dept. that being said there are many that excel in this same situation.  
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »

Is the "bossman" the owner? If so... oh man... I would read the writting on the wall and start looking for a new job, I don't think it looks good. (not for you) Just the company in general, you might want to look for a new place, just a thought

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
561rincon

dont get stuck. get buried!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2007, 09:53:07 AM »

well it seems that this company doesn't have any real management skills anyway(hiring people who don't show and then scold the ones who take their time to do the slackers work) i for one as management of a shipping company don't tolerate no shows and full timers who show part time. but right now as i type people in the office are looking at myspace but their work is done nothing to do. not their fault we're slow and sending them home or firing them will just hurt our economy more. so as for the college student get a job with a more understanding/professional company.

05 rincon 28'' mud bugs type 7 black wheels,2'' lift,dyno jet kit, 2500lb warn , K&N, snorkel kit, TORC exhaust.

04' 24' keystone tailgator toyhauler
06' F-150 stx
76' F-250 2.5 ton running gear 16.9x24 tires 360c.i
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

With that being said. If he is the manager and not the actual owner. I would let the owner know that since you ride quads that the manager has something against you because he is a tree hugger. And something needs to be done with him or you will sue the company for keeping this idiot on. (Keep in mind that I'm no lawyer and this may not work)  Grin  If that doesn't work then have someone to buy the land across the street and open an ATV park.  Grin

he is the owner, it sickens me sometimes what he spends money on, but hey,,,it's his.

I almost quit one day when I got about a half-hour speech on how the company needs to bring in more revenue and how I wasn't pulling in the business to even cover my paycheck(which was about $300 at the time) and while I was getting the speech, I saw a check on his desk for $150 made out to the "Sierra Club",,,,,,,burns me up inside.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2007, 10:21:54 AM »

this is all making me think I need to take a crash-course in autocad and find an intern position somewhere,,,,,I think there they would understand about school more ;-)

maybe one small point I didn't mention that may be of interest, everyone else who is in college there is in college going for something in the computer field except for me, I want out of it, but for now I know I'm good at fixing computers and creating/troubleshooting networks, so this is what I do.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2007, 10:30:16 AM »

Put a few posts up on some free classifieds offering your services for money on the side. You might make more and you'd be hurting their business at the same time. I know alot of people who need help with their computers but won't call a business b/c of the outrageous prices. Then you could work the hours you want and not have to listen to BS tree huggers. Oh and if/when you do leave the job show him how much you appreciate his support and leave him a bag of poo..in a recyclable bag of course. lol

IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2007, 10:35:06 AM »

if you decide to leave you should leave a note saying something like YOUR network has now lost its map LOL well thats the only thing I can think of because it happens to us a lot LOL

yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2007, 10:41:11 AM »

We could all picket in front of the store with signs letting everyone know that he is a tree hugger and not to do business here.  Grin Grin

blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2007, 10:47:37 AM »

or we could surround the office with quads, trucks and dirt bikes

Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2007, 10:52:39 AM »

you guys shoulda seen his face when I told him I had to go fuel up for the weekend once after leaving work,,,,he asked "why is that a big deal, there are gas stations everywhere"

I said, well I have to go to Lee Road and 441(about 10 miles away) because I don't put regular gas in it.

he asked,,,,"what kind of gas?"

110 octane Leaded fuel, I replied

I swear I thought he was gonna start hyperventilating, it was funny, but then when I explained that it is completely synthetic and they don't use any fossil-fuels,,,,he asked if it might work in his hybrid  Roll Eyes

true story I tell ya, true story.

I really wanted to give him a 5-gallon tankful and dump it into his Prius, but I stopped, that would have been mean ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com