Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: what would you do
slap on the wrist, don't do that again and let them go on their way.
dock pay
thanks for waiting till you had nothing to do and I'm glad your education is important to you.
talk for an hour to try to make the employee understand that they are stealing from the company

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: calling all bosses and small business owners....  (Read 26999 times)
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:29:29 PM »

somewhat hypothetical question here.

Let's set up a little background here.  Most of your employees are in college and work part time.  One of your best(if not the best) employees has a day off but another employee did not show up, nor is he answering his phone to find out if he is still alive.  This is a computer repair shop.

You call the employee that has a day off and is doing homework that is due that night and ask them if they wouldn't mind coming in to manage the store.  After a minute or two the employee agrees and 40 minutes later they come in and take over the store.

About halfway into the day that employee has fixed/or taken all the machines there are to fix as far as he can without taking them offsite so there is officially nothing left to do except maybe sweep the carpet, so this employee decides to get back to the homework.  Approximately 5 minutes into the homework you(bossman) walk in to find the employee working on their homework.

There is a "meeting" scheduled with this employee on Wednesday.

What do you do?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »

during the meeting tell him a q-tip broke off in your ear and when he starts talking to you just say,
"what?" i didn't hear that. say again. what?
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:36:10 PM »

who said this was about me? could be me trying to get management advice ;-)

Id@

ps: what did ya say?

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
fishfry

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:37:24 PM »

Just talk to your boss a head of time,

A bad day in the woods is better then a good day at work.

500 mule (for sale)
Bronco II
illegal26

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »

He came in on his day off ,he finished all work ,what is the meeting in regards to?
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »

email regarding above,,,obviously names have been changed.

Hello IdaMann,

It has come to my attention from several sources that you were on the clock doing homework today.  I would like to listen to what you have to say in explanation before I make a decision on what the recourse will be if any.  At this time, until we have the meeting, I have asked MGT to reduce your hours until this matter has been resolved to our mutual satisfaction.

Please contact me by cell to arrange a time for us to meet,

Sincerely,

Bossman, As President

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 10:49:35 PM »

FYI, there was only one other person there at the store,,,,, Roll Eyes

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
sparkplug01

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:51:15 PM »

Well if the meeting turns ugly then the person should bring up that it was there day off,and after they finished all there work they started doing homework.If the boss is worth a crap they will understand that the employee not only finished their work after coming into help out the situation but they also used spare time wisely by furthering there education and if the boss doesn't understand that.Then next time the boss is in a bind and he calls on your day off wanting you to fill in for someone else just dont answer your house phone and if they call your cell phone tell them you would but your out of town visiting family .
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »

He came in on his day off ,he finished all work ,what is the meeting in regards to?

Trying to think of some smart @$$ remark but can't think of one at the moment Angry

But if it was me I wouldn't have a problem as the employee was nice enough to come in and work  and got everything done, had nothing else to do so started on his homework that he stopped doing to come in to work on his day off.

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
qt314nfla

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 10:52:19 PM »

You might want to take a look at this video before responding.

http://www.zefrank.com/punc/
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »

and another FYI, I'm working a max of 14.5 hours a week unless called in as it is.

I started this thread trying to remain completely anonymous, but obviously can't explain everything without outing myself.  Nerd

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »

You might want to take a look at this video before responding.

http://www.zefrank.com/punc/

love it, I need to print that out.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
sparkplug01

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 11:02:15 PM »

Just go in the meeting with a level head,explain the situation .If he's a good hearted person he'll understand you were trying to help them out and meet your personal deadlines for your college work in spare time after all work was finished.Stay calm till he makes his decision then if you dont like it wwf smackdown. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:04:30 PM by sparkplug01 » Logged
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »

Just go in the meeting with a level head,explain the situation .If he's a good hearted person he'll understand you were trying to help them out and meet your personal deadlines for your college work in spare time after all work was finished.Stay calm till he makes his decision then if you dont like it wwf smackdown. 

that's what I'm thinking, I have a list of times I was screwed in one way or another by the company or him that I will bring to the meeting, but won't bring it up unless it goes south.

by that time I'm just getting things off my chest before I'm fired.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »

UncleRico is watching this thread and hasn't replied yet?  I'm shocked dude,,,what gives?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
sparkplug01

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 11:13:05 PM »

Just remember if it starts to turn south walk out with pride not with childish guilt or remarks.Be the bigger man.you'll respect yourself more:later.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:19:38 PM by sparkplug01 » Logged
sparkplug01

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 11:15:47 PM »

Uncle Rico is a spy from your boss he was sent here to access the situation and report his finding at the meeting.

He's google searching some kind of answer so he will sound smart.lol
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 11:18:09 PM »

oh well, just finished the homework for tonight,,,,now I gotta get up in the morning to get a 5-page paper done.

I can't think much tonight.

nite nite all.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »

"I'm not even supposed to be here today."

- Dante Hicks  Clerks

Here's my "hypothetical" take on the situation...

Management's job is to put it's employees in the best position to succeed. (That's the sole purpose of management)

Management has failed you by not respecting your time off, and requiring you to come in and work. They've also failed in supplying you with enough work to keep you productive.  They're not putting you in the best position to suceed.

That being said, your management doesn't seem to be very efficient.  

If this hypothetical person is as good as you say he is, then he should use this opprotunity to demand a raise.

Flip the script on your supervisor. Focus on your positives and the good things you bring to the company, rather than their negatives and failures as managers. Express to them that you feel you've gone above and beyond the call of duty, and that in itself makes you a more valuable employee, deserving of more money.

They'll be so busy trying to NOT give you a raise that they'll forget all about busting your chops for using your time efficiently, even though you were on the clock.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
sparkplug01

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 11:25:14 PM »

see well said Rico.I knew you would come up with something good.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:48 PM »

Just remember if it starts to turn south walk out with pride not with childish guilt or remarks.Be the bigger man.you'll respect yourself more:later.

Be the bigger man?

What are you talking about Jody, you cried like a little girl when they fired you from McDonalds! I told you that wasn't the right way to cook the fries!

That's why I'm the Assistant Manager, and your working the night drive through at Krystals.

You really let me down that day.

I'll never forgive you for that.

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
qt314nfla

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

LMFAO Rico!  You always have a nice touch to add to the whole experience.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 11:29:55 PM »

This is how EVERY meeting should go..no matter what field you are in!

Pay close attention to the socks.

"You're suspect!"

sparkplug01

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2007, 11:30:27 PM »

Be the bigger man?

What are you talking about Jody, you cried like a little girl when they fired you from McDonalds! I told you that wasn't the right way to cook the fries!

That's why I'm the Assistant Manager, and your working the night drive through at Krystals.

You really let me down that day.

I'll never forgive you for that.

You just got mad when you found out the secrete sauce on you big mack was really secrete sauce from my big mack.And I like krystals home of the little sliders .
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:35 PM »

secret sauce, sliders only thing those 2 will accomplish is a run for the bathroom. I guess if all else fails Ida just run for the bathroom tell them your job has given you Rectal Glaucoma and your suing them for pain and suffering

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com