Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crappy situation..  (Read 7038 times)
SWAMP_DONKEY

« on: September 27, 2007, 09:33:02 PM »

Last night the entire house backed up around 1pm, the house is 14 months old there is only Miranda Sherry Colton and myself (yea I know) how could this happen?  The plummers and Septic Co. was here most of the day snaking and digging and nothing??? I still have a big hole in the bask yard and cant wash clothes and take a shower @ the same time. The Septic Co. said the drain field may be saturated??? I thought that was thier JOB!! They said not to use Charmin??? What would I do w/out ALOE T.P.>>> that stuff changed my life. Wink

I have to empty the Garage out and have the entire thing cleaned because it was 2 inches deep in there...this may be good for some of you, I have TONS of part's and Tires that have to go.

Anyone with input about what could cause this??? 
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »

They are right, drain fields are saturated.  Your going to need to put in another one.  We had the samething happen to us (except it didnt backup in to the house) and we had to put in another one on the side of our house.

Take it from me, my dads the supervisor of a plumbing company.  I know my "sh*t"

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:38:28 PM »

They are right, drain fields are saturated.  Your going to need to put in another one.  We had the samething happen to us (except it didnt backup in to the house) and we had to put in another one on the side of our house.

Take it from me, my dads the supervisor of a plumbing company.  I know my "sh*t"

Still HOW did this happen in a House only a little over a year old??  Some one had to screw up on the install.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:40:29 PM »

Still HOW did this happen in a House only a little over a year old??  Some one had to screw up on the install.

Something is wrong. Our house is on Septic. Built in 1962 and never been replaced. with me and Josh, it is getting some serious use.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:42:30 PM »

Just like RR huh?

My house is in rural area & it was set WAY up almost looked like a volcana for that reason.We brought in 80 loads fill to conture it. If you have been getting allot of rain ground is saturated & there is no way the drain filed can work efficiently. Even by pumping the tank the ground water will leach back in filling it up in a few days.If you havent had rain than the drain field could be collapsed not letting water run out & leach into ground.Have you driven acrossed it? Have you had equipment-loaders or trucks,installed tree's near or over it?

If this is the first time hope it never happens again,if it does you may have to install a secondary drainfield that is higher & install a pump as a lift station to pump it up to the higher drain field.

I know your pain I spent 3 days cutting out the floor of a finished re-hab cause the main sewer line (cast iron ) rotted out & we had to cut back to good steel & install rubber couplings & pvc...What a F*)&%^@%#^$!@^#%^*()% nightmare that was~!

SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »

Our House sits so high now I liik over the nieghbors Roof when I grill out. I think they screwed up whe installing it and they are trying to get off cheap.... My King Quad was sitting in 2 inches of poo. lol
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:46:29 AM by SWAMP_DONKEY » Logged
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »

No screw up on install, just the materials.  You have popcorn instead of rock.  Newer houses have popcorn, essentially the little white things you put in a shipping box, which is a cheaper way around things.  Older houses like ours and Bigscrb15 have rock in their fields.  My dad said that he has seen houses no more than 4months old have their drain fields replaced because of the popcorn.  It basically "disappears", unlike rock that stays there.  When it disappears the Field cant drain correctly, causing problems such as backing up, bubbling toilets, saturated front yard, etc..

If they say you need a new one or need to fix the older one, go with rock.  It may cost a little more but in the long run its worth it.

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »

No screw up on install, just the materials.  You have popcorn instead of rock.  Newer houses have popcorn, essentially the little white things you put in a shipping box, which is a cheaper way around things.  Older houses like ours and Bigscrb15 have rock in their fields.  My dad said that he has seen houses no more than 4months old have their drain fields replaced because of the popcorn.  It basically "disappears", unlike rock that stays there.  When it disappears the Field cant drain correctly, causing problems such as backing up, bubbling toilets, saturated front yard, etc..

If they say you need a new one or need to fix the older one, go with rock.  It may cost a little more but in the long run its worth it.

Thanks for the input.  No we dont need anyone with the RUNS right now, specially LONG ones. lol
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:27 PM »

When Jen was little she liked to flush the toilet.  She flushed anything she could stuff in the bowl.  Didnt cause the septic to back up, but it did cause a mess.  I hope Colton doesnt find flushing to be a hobby.  When the "popcorn" was first introduced to me, it was called Terrasorb.  It was supposed to retain water longer for irrigation purposes.  Now they use it for drain fields?  Unbelievable!
indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:29:51 PM »

Our pump out guy said to add the bactria stuff you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot about every other month, so it will promote the eating frenzy!!!!!!!!!
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »

Our pump out guy said to add the bactria stuff you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot about every other month, so it will promote the eating frenzy!!!!!!!!!

Its the water more than the solid.
indianjoe
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »

Oh Dang not good
MATT1969

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:44:47 PM »

check to make sure you don't have a toilet running.when i use to install septic systems you wouldn't believe how many people where told they need a new 8000$ drainfield and all the problem was is that the toilet was running 24/7 and the soil could not absorb the the faster then it was coming in.i dought you have the foam bag system that was a new thing about 8 years ago. i tried it all and always went back to the stone and pipe.either you have water running or they did not use good sand.if is not a good lose sand with out clay it will make like seal and not let the water go throue it.just take a shovel and go dig a hole in the drain field about a foot and a half deep.if you hit water  you got problems.
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »

check to make sure you don't have a toilet running.when i use to install septic systems you wouldn't believe how many people where told they need a new 8000$ drainfield and all the problem was is that the toilet was running 24/7 and the soil could not absorb the the faster then it was coming in.i dought you have the foam bag system that was a new thing about 8 years ago. i tried it all and always went back to the stone and pipe.either you have water running or they did not use good sand.if is not a good lose sand with out clay it will make like seal and not let the water go throue it.just take a shovel and go dig a hole in the drain field about a foot and a half deep.if you hit water  you got problems.

Well they drained the septic and ran a hose into the drainfield....it washed back into the tank!! The Septic guy said "OH thats not good"
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »

DAMN Scott!!! If its not for bad luck you would have no luck at all.  I know the feeling!!!!  IF you need anything let me know.

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
MATT1969

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »

ya but is there water when you dig on the drain field?you might just have a clog in the distribution box after the tank.thats not a big deal.but if your water is not going in the ground that's a very expensive problem.sometims if the outlet fitting falls off in the tank the paper and solids can go into the drain field and clog up the pipe.if if that happed alot of times it right at the d-box.but that's only if your lucky.with your house being new and the high elevation .rain is not a problem.probly somebody didn't want to spend the money on the sand   so its not draining.
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »

ya but is there water when you dig on the drain field?you might just have a clog in the distribution box after the tank.thats not a big deal.but if your water is not going in the ground that's a very expensive problem.sometims if the outlet fitting falls off in the tank the paper and solids can go into the drain field and clog up the pipe.if if that happed alot of times it right at the d-box.but that's only if your lucky.with your house being new and the high elevation .rain is not a problem.probly somebody didn't want to spend the money on the sand   so its not draining.

The tank has a Filter and there is no distribution box, they used some new type of drain field...looks like it works perfect. lol
MATT1969

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »

did they use something that looks like a giant piece of square pipe with the drain slits on the side?its called the Infiltrator Leach Field .they suck.no stone never liked them.if it something real new i wouldn't know about it.good luck
KB

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 08:21:09 AM »

That sucks, my house (wood frame,built in the 50's) is kinda low, the drain field is on a mound.

Uses a pump, which looks kinda like a little sepyic tank itself to pump water into the the field lines.

woke up one morning, went out to get the paper & heard a little siren goin off, it was the pump switch,
got a shovel & started digging.

Don't know if it's legal or not but my friend has a house on septic also, he runs his washer machine into the bushes, saves a lot of water from goin into the tank, it's just from the washing machine.

Also when the guy fixed my septic (Cote's Septic Co./Tampa) he said the garbage disposal is OK for the septic but try to keep it to a minimum (throw away as much as you can).

Crazy in a house that new,
 when mine happened I had to get my little port-a-potty out of the garage so I could take a dump, makes you appreaciate having running water & a sewer/septic.

Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 08:31:40 AM »

I am on City Sewer and I had it back up into my house because Either the Ficus or the Palm nearby sent roots into the sewer and plugged the drain.....and it is only 3 years old! Maybe a similar situation...roots invaded during the dry spell looking for water?

Any parts for a KQ you need me to take off your hands Holla atcha Boy!!

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »

I was told to flush some copper sulfate every once in a while because that kills the roots that come into the drain pipe. Any truth to this?

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 08:38:08 AM »

I am on City Sewer and I had it back up into my house because Either the Ficus or the Palm nearby sent roots into the sewer and plugged the drain.....and it is only 3 years old! Maybe a similar situation...roots invaded during the dry spell looking for water?

Its weird but when you flush to toilet the water never comes back  Shocked it goes someplace else Undecided

Joe I know I have stock Shocks, new tires and wheels, exhaust.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 09:34:11 AM »

Its weird but when you flush to toilet the water never comes back  Shocked it goes someplace else Undecided

I am pretty sure when you flush that the water goes into the hot water heater for showers and dishes.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

I am pretty sure when you flush that the water goes into the hot water heater for showers and dishes.

oh, now that is a disgusting thought.   Barf!
Anoriginal

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »

Believe it or not, my father owns the oldest septic tank company in Florida. I put myself through college working for him. I was once a licensed septic tank installer myself. So, nobody on here knows their shizit more than me.  Cheesy Cheesy I've installed Hundreds of septic systems all over Florida. Your poop was my bread and butter. HA HA.

It's a sad situation when this happens. Sometimes it has to do with the type of fill and base used under and around the drainfield. Other times it's a matter of something being intorduced into the system that causes it.  It is impossible to say what is causing it. However, check your water system to make sure you're not facing a running toilet, etc. Also, is there any type of chemical or different type of soap/detergent that you're using lots of? How high is your drainfield base above the existing grade? Is the water table unseasonably high right now? All of these things can impact performance.

The infiltrator system is a poor system. However, today's "rockless" systems are wonderful and work great. The best one out uses a stack of pipes over sand with no rock.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com