Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: History Chanell "HillBillies" show  (Read 5083 times)
KB

« on: September 24, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »

Program was on last night, program before was about hippies, I missed them but my mom said she watched them,
wondering if anyone else watched it.
I thought the word "redneck" came from the back of the neck gettin sun burnt from workin in the fields all day.

The word came from coal miners in West Virginia back in the 20's & 30's, they had an all out War w/ the Union, Gatlin Gun's & all,
some miners wanted better working conditions after being in a mine 13 -15 hrs. a day so some joined the Union some didn't,
the one's who did wore a red bandana around there necks so the Union knew they were Union workers, they where called "rednecks".

The show will probably be on again, i'm gonna try to watch it next time, also talked about moon shining, NASCAR, & a weed that a lot
of people were growing in the Appalachian Mtn.'s.

Sounded like a good show, anybody watch it ?

I just went to historychanell.com & it will be on again tonite @ midnite, & Thu.@ 8 pm.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:20:46 AM by KB » Logged
Anoriginal

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »

KB

I watched it. I thought it was a good program. I really enjoyed the info it provided and the in depth look at the Appalachian culture. Tough independant people.

~ Matt
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »

Have any of you seen "American Hollow" it was on HBO

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
KB

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 10:53:05 AM »

Ya, I gotta watch it, comes on again tonite at 12 & on Thu. at 8 pm,
my mom's side of the family is from a town in Tenn. called Newport, but they didn't have a hospital so she was born in Knoxville,
my dad's side is from Dearborn/Detroit.

My Grandma's brother (great uncle) got in some trouble in Newport, they found some of that stuff on his land & back then they would tell you just leave the county/state & don't come back, so he moved to AL. for awhile, then moved back home to his son's place.

I gotta watch that show, have you ever seen the movie "Winter People", it's pretty good. (not sure but I think it was Kurt Russel & Kelley McGilliss)
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »

my mom's side of the family is from a town in Tenn. called Newport, but they didn't have a hospital so she was born in Knoxville,

My Grandma's brother (great uncle) got in some trouble in Newport, they found some of that stuff on his land & back then they would tell you just leave the county/state & don't come back, so he moved to AL. for awhile, then moved back home to his son's place.

I gotta watch that show, have you ever seen the movie "Winter People", it's pretty good. (not sure but I think it was Kurt Russel & Kelley McGilliss)

I was just there (Newport) a month ago. Nos prairie has a house on the outskirts.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
KB

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:59 AM »

No ,never seen it.
Was it like one of there documentary's, there pretty good, I remember one was "High on crack street" about how crack cocaine infested a town somewhere up north in like Conn. or someplace close, I forget the name of the town,
I like documentary type stuff, like the one where they went to Anna Nicoles home town & interviewed her niece & nephew, they where shot out, had me LMAO.
KB

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »

I was just there (Newport) a month ago. Nos prairie has a house on the outskirts.

Small world,
I still have some family left up there, last name is "Wild's".
Beautifull country, did you see the white cross on the side of that mountain, I think it's called "Lovers Leap", it was in an Indian movie where they where being chased, held hands & jumped ?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:26:08 AM by KB » Logged
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »

No ,never seen it.
Was it like one of there documentary's, there pretty good, I remember one was "High on crack street" about how crack cocaine infested a town somewhere up north in like Conn. or someplace close, I forget the name of the town,
I like documentary type stuff, like the one where they went to Anna Nicoles home town & interviewed her niece & nephew, they where shot out, had me LMAO.

Yeah, it was a documentary. It was just showing the life of the people that live in that area. It is kinda crazy.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
KB

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:22:06 AM »

Wonder if he knows any of my Uncle's, Johnny Bob, Kevin, & Billy Doyle "Wilds" ?

They live off Edwina/Bridgeport Rd. then turn right on Stanley Wilds Rd., just a few miles east of Newport ?
KB

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »

No ,never seen it.

Yeah, it was a documentary. It was just showing the life of the people that live in that area. It is kinda crazy.

I'll try to watch it,
 I did watch a documentary about NASCAR though, kinda funny that guy's runnin moonshine got tired of gettin in trouble & started NASCAR.

Also in O.N.F. theres a place called "Scrambletown", got it's name from moonshiners scramblin into the woods when the law would come, I met some guys from there when I was riding before the closures & I wondered where that name came from, I got home a google searched it & read about it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:30:51 AM by KB » Logged
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »

I thought the redneck term came from working outside digging ditches and such as well,,,,,,I'll have to catch that show.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
KB

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »

KB

I watched it. I thought it was a good program. I really enjoyed the info it provided and the in depth look at the Appalachian culture. Tough independant people.

~ Matt

Matt, didn't you say you had some property somewhere, maybe Tenn.(can't remember) ?
I gave you a link to this guy that worked for Fleetwood for years (JR Mathis) & he sarted his own Co. www.southerncomfortcabins.net

Are you goin w/ chillen to the MotoPlex this weekeend ?
It would be nice to finally meet you guy's.
If not, we'll catch up sooner or later.
KB

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »

Scrub Bros.
I'm going to meet my sister & her husband in a few minutes, they live in Lakeland, just had a baby girl, the last piece of furniture finally came in at Babys R Us, & you know how it is when you have truck people askin you "hey can you help me move this" actually I don't mind helping, you never know when I might need it someday.

Anyways, they want to take me to lunch at a place called Farmer Freds Market or somethin like that, home style food, they love it, I've never been.
Y'all ever been there ?
shirah86

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »

Scrub Bros.
I'm going to meet my sister & her husband in a few minutes, they live in Lakeland, just had a baby girl, the last piece of furniture finally came in at Babys R Us, & you know how it is when you have truck people askin you "hey can you help me move this" actually I don't mind helping, you never know when I might need it someday.

Anyways, they want to take me to lunch at a place called Farmer Freds Market or somethin like that, home style food, they love it, I've never been.
Y'all ever been there ?
pretty good food, breakfast is awesome like 5 minutes from my work i might just wake up extra early and go now that im thinking about it
NYRAPTOR
Supreme Member

9/11/01 Never Forget

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »

i'm gonna tape that tonight KB. have any of you guys ever watched "The 808" on fuel tv??
one of my favorite shows. it's about hawaii and the locals that run the north shore. pretty insane. its on friday night late (sat morning really) 1:00 am.
UncleRico
Supreme Member

"Crazy, Insane?"

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:39:25 PM »

Was any of it filmed at River Ranch?

Also, did they pass along any helpful dental tips?

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »

This is from History Channel's website on when it will play again.

Monday, September 24
 12:00 AM

Thursday, September 27
 08:00 AM

Thursday, September 27
 02:00 PM

KB

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:10 PM »

Was any of it filmed at River Ranch?

Also, did they pass along any helpful dental tips?

LOL, no that place is a secret, HBO will never go there.
But man Lakeland is growin,
 My sister & her husband bought a house off Cherry Ln. in Knollwood Subdivision(just west of Carr's Auto Repair), they did pretty good w/it bought it pre-construction,biggest lot in the neighborhood, & now all the other houses are done they already got 100k in equity, but somebody stole there BBQ grill off there back porch, I told them I'd ask this guy I know if he will give it back, so UncleRico when your done w/it will you please return it, there a young couple, just startin out & just had a baby.

Theres a nice log cabin w/ a green metal roof, w/ 5 acres on Cherry Ln. for sale, I wonder how much ?

Anyways, Farmer Freds Market was good thats there 2nd restraunt since they switched from Buddy Freddys, there next one is going in Bartow, they want like 15 to be built, said they will never have one in Tampa, probably the restaraunt taxes or somethin, took Cracker Barrell years before they put one in Hillsborough & we only got one & thats by Tampa Palms.
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 09:19:42 PM »

you know Jed Clampett didn't get rich by hittin the black gold when he was shootin at some food . seems he saved a ton of money by switchin his car insurance to Geico.LMAO   I love that commercial
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 02:48:27 PM by eldiablo64 » Logged

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
k.p.
Supreme Member

6 in a row makes it go!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »

Program was on last night, program before was about hippies, I missed them but my mom said she watched them,
wondering if anyone else watched it.
I thought the word "redneck" came from the back of the neck gettin sun burnt from workin in the fields all day.

The word came from coal miners in West Virginia back in the 20's & 30's, they had an all out War w/ the Union, Gatlin Gun's & all,
some miners wanted better working conditions after being in a mine 13 -15 hrs. a day so some joined the Union some didn't,
the one's who did wore a red bandana around there necks so the Union knew they were Union workers, they where called "rednecks".

The show will probably be on again, i'm gonna try to watch it next time, also talked about moon shining, NASCAR, & a weed that a lot
of people were growing in the Appalachian Mtn.'s.

Sounded like a good show, anybody watch it ?

I just went to historychanell.com & it will be on again tonite @ midnite, & Thu.@ 8 pm.

i knew the whole redneck thing
and when i tried to tell people they called me dumb and a liar

...dang rednecks
KB

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:12 AM »

you know Jed Clampett didn't get rich by hittin the black gold when he was shootin at some.seems he saved a ton of money by switchin his car insurance to Geico.LMAO   I love that commercial

i knew the whole redneck thing
and when i tried to tell people they called me dumb and a liar

...dang rednecks

LOL,

It's on again today 2 pm & 8 pm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com