Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone have knowlege of pest control?  (Read 4597 times)
buzzardman

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »

About a month ago I went on vacation and took my dog to a kennel.  When I got back and picked him up he must have had about a hundred ticks on him.  I gave him the flee and tick shampoo then a couple of days later I dosed him with bio spot on his back.  I bought some yard insecticide from home depot and sprayed my yard and I set off a couple of bug bombs in my house.  A week later and last night I found a tick crawling up my arm and this morning I pulled a tick off my dog that was so full of blood it was bigger than a tick tac.  Obviously my methods haven't worked so does anyone have a brand of insect killer, or a way to solve this very gross problem?  I'm worried cuz the dog sleeps in my 9yr olds bedroom.  Plus I have the creepy crawlies non stop. Huh
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »

It's the time of the year for ticks. What brand did you buy at HD? Go to pet store and get Hartz in Control yard spray and for in the house Hartz in Control Home spray. For the dog I use Zodiac Flea and tick spray its a fast acting formula. Also be careful in pulling the ticks off and leaving the head in you dog skin that will cause an infection. oh the name of those big ticks are brown dog ticks, nasty looking!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:22:19 AM by big-daddy » Logged

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
SWAMP_DONKEY

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 12:27:56 PM »

12 guage Wink
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »

1 of our dogs got ticks pretty bad this year. some were the big nasty gray ones, but most the little brown ones. we just kept spraying the yard with some stuff that hooked onto the hose and then washed his bedding every night and sprayed him and bathed him daily with tick shampoo. they were gone in a couple days and havent come back.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 02:30:24 PM »

Do you have a mango tree?  Ticks breed in them  Shocked  We had one and just walking by it the ticks would jump on you Huh Yes we cut it down.

When I had my dog (RIP Levi) I used the once a month Heart Worm/Flea & Tick treat.  Works Awesome, I think it was about 10.00 a month.  Not a pill it's a yummy treat.
He went to camp with us and we never saw anything on him.  Yes he slept in OUR bed too so I know how you fell about that.

Mudneck
" It's a State of Mind "
Supreme Member

****FMR****

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 02:36:09 PM »

Go to a lesco & buy telstar or crosscheck, as well as some permitherin aerosol bombs. I had a buddy have this problem & when you look up it looked like the ceiling was moving...Takes several treatments. The dog drops are a good start. Now you need to take care of the infestation...

GL  Shocked

WickedBanshee

git r dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 02:37:36 PM »

The best thing i found so far is .....Demon WP  .....i spray my yard and inside my home twice a year and all i find is dead critters . You can get this at a feed store or search ebay //////it comes in a foil pouch or a gallon size jug , its in powder form .....the foil pouches have 4 dissolvable packets . 1 -2 packets per 1 gallon of water ....oh and you will need a sprayer (walmart under $10)  This will not leave a residue in your home nor will it stain anything (has no odor). If bugs come in you will find them DEAD ! You spot treat .....edge of walls , corners, behind stove ,fridge ect .Outside spray about 10ft around all sides of you home . Spray the area where your dog goes and along the edge of your property ,spot treat everywhere else. Within 24 hours you will see dead critters , repeat treatment 2 weeks later . It is commercial grade stuff and WORKS ! Demon WP

Pentium D dual core 3.2 extreme
Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
CorsairTwin5400c4 2gb 667 memory
BFG 8600 gt oc PCI-e 512mb
Enermax noisetaker 600w power
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:39:02 PM »

We had a big tick problem also, we had to switch from Revolution to Frountline because frountline works on ticks and revolution didn't but revolution had heart worm stuff in it, so now we have to give him heart worm treats.  Frountline is that stuff you squirt on the back of thier neck.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
WickedBanshee

git r dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Demon-WP-Bug-Spray-Professional-Strength-Pesticide_W0QQitemZ180158618705QQihZ008QQcategoryZ75582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1
WickedBanshee

git r dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 02:43:08 PM »

OR     http://cgi.ebay.com/demon-wp-1lb-jar-control-crawling-insects-indoor-out_W0QQitemZ290159906091QQihZ019QQcategoryZ75582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »

The best thing i found so far is .....Demon WP  .....i spray my yard and inside my home twice a year and all i find is dead critters . You can get this at a feed store or search ebay //////it comes in a foil pouch or a gallon size jug , its in powder form .....the foil pouches have 4 dissolvable packets . 1 -2 packets per 1 gallon of water ....oh and you will need a sprayer (walmart under $10)  This will not leave a residue in your home nor will it stain anything (has no odor). If bugs come in you will find them DEAD ! You spot treat .....edge of walls , corners, behind stove ,fridge ect .Outside spray about 10ft around all sides of you home . Spray the area where your dog goes and along the edge of your property ,spot treat everywhere else. Within 24 hours you will see dead critters , repeat treatment 2 weeks later . It is commercial grade stuff and WORKS ! Demon WP

we have used that before, works great.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »

You could always get Brad Paisley to "check you for ticks" LOL sorry I had to say it  Smiley

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
WickedBanshee

git r dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »

YES it works so good .....If you buy it and you think its not working for you ....I will buy what you have left over !!!  Wink

Asus P5ND2 sli mobo
Audigy2 zs sound 7.1
jayd

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 02:55:40 PM »

I agree Telstar the yard and Demon the house.
I had problems with the ticks earlier this year and it works.  Frontline makes a spray that will help eliminate existing flea and tick infestations on the dog, I had to buy it on-line.

http://frontline.us.merial.com/products/index.asp

buzzardman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »

thanks everyone.  I will get that Demon stuff.  I have been using Bio spot flee and tick treatment for the dog because it is 18 bucks vs the $50.  price of the frontline treatment.  But I guess I'm gonna have to plunk down the dough. 
I'm not sure what brand of bug bomb I used in the house.  I used em  and chucked em in the trash when I was done.  It is apparent that it didn't work.  a couple of days later I found one of those pincher bugs walking along on my kitchen counter.  The bug bomb wasn't supposed to let that happen.  I'l get that Demon stuff and switch to frontline.  This is a darn shame cuz me and the hound don't get along very well.  He is my boys dog and they are best friends.  In my personal opinion, the dog isn't worth the price of a bullet.  So every dollar I spend on this problem just gets too me that much more. Cry

Every young boy needs a dog I guess, so out comes my wallet again.   In colorado we never had bug problems. Cry    Of course the mice were big enough to stand flat footed and F*&ck a duck. Wink   I used to shoot em with my son's pellet gun. 
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »

Wow, I didnt know ticks were such a big problem to others.  I have never had a dog that had a tick.  My current dog has a small flea problem, but nothing k9 advantix wont fix. Wink

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
buzzardman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »

I've lived here for about 2 1/2 yrs and never had a tick problem until I took the dog to a Kennel while I was out of town.  Now it's hell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com