Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fear of Heights...  (Read 1948 times)
YFZ_#24

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »

So I finally made it to a track after having my YFZ for nearly 10 months. I purchased it with the intent of riding trails and the ocassional track ride. While I had been riding many trails (Ocala, Croom, etc...) I had really looking forward to riding on a track and seeing what this great machine could do. So while on vacation this past week, I decided to load up the quad and head to Durhamtown Plantation in the middle of nowhere Georgia. After a seven hour ride from Central Florida, I was salivating at the opportunity to hit the many tracks at this great location. This place is really amazing, it is offroad heaven. So after my long ride, I checked in got the gear on and headed out. I decided to do the trails first. These were by far the best trails I even ridden, NO WHOOPS, what a great feeling! Many trails had jumps built into them. This is where things started going down hill, literally and figuratively. I rolled over the bigger trail jumps since this was my first time through. I jumped the smaller single jumps and felt great. So I hit my first big jump and hesitated... Recipe for disaster! Had a bad landing almost going over the handlebars and that's where the fear and hesitation set in. I started to really question my jumping abilities after previously thinking that I could jump well. I rode the trails for a couple of hours and even hit the drag strip.

After taking a break, I decided to check out the tracks. This is where the fear really set in, especially after seeing in person the face of some of these jumps... They seemed as if they were 15 feel tall. I had seen people hit these jumps on the internet I thought no big deal. I rode all tracks rolling over all jumps to check them out for clearance distance, etc... The bottom line is that I could grow the mustard to hit these jumps or just go for them. I grew increasingly frustrated and discouraged. I ended up cutting my trip short and driving the long 7 hours back home. I was so discouraged that I am considering selling the darn thing. After all, I am not using nearly to its capabilities. I think one of the reasons why I "Choked" was that there was nobody at this place. I guess school had started so I had the entire place to myself. Didn't see another bike on the trails or tracks while I was there. I guess if I would have had somebody there to lead the way or push me I would have went for it. I also didn't want to crash without anybody around and so far from home... In any event, excuses, excuses. I have tried to justify this in many ways.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!
KD 428
Supreme Member

FTR #428

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »

Dude, chill out dont expect yourself to be able to hit those jumps if you have never jumped things like that before. Have patience, and practice alot. Slowley hit bigger, and bigger jumps everytime you go to a track. Eventually you will be able to hit all of those if you practice. And don't sell your quad, most everyone had to start at smaller jumps, before big ones. Just next time you go to a track, hit jumps a little bigger than the ones you already hit.   Wink

Kenny

HONDA CRF450R
Bounty1

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:25:58 AM »

I would say you did the right thing in not making the jump. As you stated there was no one around to help in case of an emergency. Get confident with the shorter jumps and then try the longer--higher jumps. The more you jump it will become second nature. You heard the saying stupid hurts--smart doesn't.

www.floridabash.com
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:31:25 AM by Bounty » Logged
Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

The more people I meet, the more I like my dog..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »

Why did you drive all the way up to Georgia? You should head over to Bithlo, it's right around Orlando. It's a pretty mild track, with fairly easy jumps. Its a fun track, the people are great, and you will get used to it fast.

-2006 Suzuki LT-R450-
-2004 Suzuki LT-Z400-

Harry: "Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber
T2
Supreme Member

It's Better To Be The Predator Than the Prey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

I woundn't sell your bike, I used to be the same way when I started going to DT, It took me a few times of going there before hitting all the jumps. Now I cait wait till I go back up there which is next week Labor day weekend. It just takes the practice of seat time on your bike at the track, your not going to get it the first time your out there. I had My Buddy Dreth coaching me when I first started jumping at DT, after you hit the first big jump and clear it there no turning around your hooked. So go back up there when there is people so you can see how they are jumping and fellow there lead.

m0n0x1d3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:53 PM »

Best advice I was ever offered was when I admitted to a rider at the gate next to me that I had never ridden on a MX track before.He told me to relax and above all dont try to run with the other bikes and just go my own pace.Naturaly I did what everyone else would have done and totaly ignored him,however after hitting this hill that i thought was a jump and nearly compressing my spine on the landing his advice suddenly made perfect sense.So now I always tell people to relax and go at their own pace. Evil
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:10:47 PM »

I have the same fear on jumping,,,,,,I think maybe I just need to take a big spil and not get hurt all that bad before I'll start taking jumps.

I did like the jumps out at the motoplex this weekend, I actually built my confidence a bit taking on those,,,,,tabletops are a great confidence builder.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com