Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposed FWC change for Holeylands/ Atv's for hunting only  (Read 13751 times)
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »

Folks, here's the link for the FWC proposed rule change for holeylands. Atv's will only be allowed during hunting season. Scroll down to about 2/3 of the page and look for holeylands, click on this and you can voice your comments....

http://myfwc.com/commission/RuleChanges/ProposedRules0708.asp
Young Gun
Supreme Member

Murray Enterprises

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »

"Holeylands – establish a 105-day small game season and allow the use of ATVs for hunting purposes only and only during archery, muzzleloading gun and general gun-walk seasons and for scouting purposes one week prior to the start of each season."

2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »

Folks, this is our only opportunity to save this riding area.  Once they close the area, it will be nearly impossible to get it back.  PLEASE take five minutes to write a well-thought out, RESPECTFUL response to the rule change proposals.  Just click on the green button and it will take you to the submission form.  Talk about the majority of us who use and respect the land, acknowledge there are issues that need to be resolved, offer your help to find solutions to those issues.  SHOW THAT YOU CARE!!  THIS IS OUR ONLY CHANCE!!!

This is my response:

"I am extremely disappointed with the proposed rule restricting the use of ATVs.  The State of Florida promised an increase in riding areas with the implementation of titling and registration fees.  Instead, we have seen a continual reduction in the allowable areas to operate ATVs.  The Holeylands/Rotenberger/Everglades and Francis S Taylor WMAs are one of the only areas available in South Florida to operate ATVs.  I beg you not to pass this rule change.  I know there are issues that need to be resolved but please do not take this away from the vast majority of us riders that are responsible and respectful of these lands.  Every year, my children, my wife and I travel far and wide across the Holeylands, Everglades and Francis S Taylor WMAs inparticular, which gives us an experience that few Floridians ever experience.  It's also an experience we would not be able to enjoy without the access an ATV gives us to these wilderness areas.  Certainly, there are other means of dealing with the issues that clearly exist out there than an outright ban.  Please reconsider.  I would happily become involved with any committee or sit on any panel to address this issue and develop feasible alternatives to this proposal."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »

Submitted my comments! If you don't have the time or literary skills to submit your own response, just cut/paste digginfool's and edit to your liking. Please. Are there enough of us willing to go get hunting licenses and noisily "bag our limits" every weekend during hunting season? How about buggies? Can we all go buy those and ride them out there?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:49:59 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:14:55 PM »

Done

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
brett711

www.??????.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:56:50 PM »

done..

2007 honda rancher
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »

Here's what I sent in via e-mail to the FWC people I know. There's only a 1500 character limit.

I want to take this opportunity to voice our opposition to the proposed rule change not only in this WMA, but ALL WMA where you are looking to close ATV/OHV and recreational activities. ATV/OHV use is a "cultural and Historic" part of Florida. Unfortunately, I, my children, and the rest of the future generations are becoming "Cultural refugees" in our backyard. Public lands are for the public to use, and while I will not deny that there have been and continue to be abuses, this is a very small minority when compared to the larger population that enjoy this kind of family activity. The state of Florida has the third highest sales of atv's  in the nation, however with the constant appointments of people like Dr. Reed Noss to the state ARC committee and recently the appointment of Estinoz by SFWMD our future looks even bleaker for our children.

In 2002 the state legislature passed the Mark T. Schmidt Recreation act where the state collects an additional $ 35.00 in registration fees to buy land for OHV recreation. In this same act it clearly states that lands purchased under the "Florida Forever act" may be used for OHV recreation as long as certain criteria is met (Florida owns over 5 MILLION ACRES OF PUBLIC LAND). Why does it take a "Study" to open up an area but not to close it? Where are these reports where you can justify such actions? I will tell you that the "everglades restoration" is a total farce and under this guise, SFWMD has illegally shut down the Picayune forest. CERP is under WRDA and in WRDA it clearly state that "historic and cultural" uses are to be protected.

Today we spend BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON PROTECTING DIRT, dirt that eventually will be sold to developers or become STA areas because of BIG SUGAR  and the EAA runoff into the Glades. Our Glades are turning into a massive sewage treatment plant and you are telling me that my 8-inch wide tire track hurts the environment? At least be honest with yourselves.

I had a face-to-face conversation with one of your biologist over at Cecil Webb WMA when we had proposed during a cleanup ride at this WMA. I was told to my face that we were not wanted there. This is nothing more than outright discrimination. We, the ATV community, are the "NEW BLACKS" of the south. Where no one wants us anywhere and our only crime is to spend time with our children enjoying OUR PUBLIC LANDS. Could you imagine if you said this to a person of color in any other public venue what the repercussions would be? Why is it that in Cecil Webb, it's perfectly legal to ride a licensed car or an unlicensed swamp buggy but not an ATV? The law was written to specifically exclude us and our children from PUBLIC LAND.

You need to take a long hard look at this proposed rule change and instead of closing areas to the recreational families of this state, engage the different ATV clubs around and use us a force for good. We can have cleanup rides, raise money for charities, help with search and rescue and may I suggest before you automatically put us all in the same pot (profiling) engage those of us that are responsible and value what little we have left. Thank you
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:01:47 AM »

Typing mine right now.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
LINK500

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »

Done...
CliffB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »

Done....
DOITHARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 09:16:24 PM »

DONE!
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »

ttt

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
4MANFREAK

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »

voiced my opinion...

2006 FOREMAN 500 4x4
2004 Rancher 350 4x4
2002 400 EX
1997 FOREMAN 400 4x4
mud.junkie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »

Done!!!!
EigerGuy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »

Done..... TTT

02-05 Eiger Lift Kits Availabe PMME, i also think they will fit the 06 and 07

05 Eiger
06 Raptor 700R

MustRead
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 10:24:31 PM »

I think that everyone is reading the "proposed" change in the laws incorrectly. Every sentence in there has something to do with the hunting season. If they were killing our riding area other then during the hunt season, there would be a sentence in there stating that ATVs are prohibited and it wouldn't be mixed in the paragraph with new proposed hunting laws.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 11:46:39 PM »

They are just prohibiting atv's during hunting season recreationally.

For the time being, I'm just riding other spots.

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
EigerGuy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 05:43:52 PM »

ya during hunting season they want only hunters off the levys your still allowed to go out but u have 2 wait until sundown, to make sure u dont get shot with an arrow

02-05 Eiger Lift Kits Availabe PMME, i also think they will fit the 06 and 07

05 Eiger
06 Raptor 700R

MustRead
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,31593.msg374254.html#msg374254
Keeter
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

I'm Not! You go first!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 03:32:30 PM »

Done

2019 Can Am 850 XMR
brett711

www.??????.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »

commision meeting is this week.

2007 honda rancher
brett711

www.??????.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »

quote from the broward county airboat club:

Right now the FWC is in their rule making period. At the last meeting of the year they will vote on the proposed rules for the upcoming year. And to answer your question, right now they are proposing to only allow ATV use during hunting season and one week prior for scouting in Holy Lands, Rotenberg, and Area 3 north and south. As a club we are at least trying to get camp owners special use permits for using their Atv's to get to their camp in a low water situation. But from what we are seeing this rule will get passed thru for the upcoming year. You can go in the FWC website, look under commission meetings, and read the agenda and the proposed rules for clarification. I hope this answers your question.

2007 honda rancher
soflorider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 10:10:36 AM »

This is upsurd! Buggies and airboats still allowed and we only ride their trails! Furthermore, In December of 2007 the commission tried to pass this rule and 31 people and 11 organizations said NO. Then, all of a sudden it was voted on again in February, only 2 months later, and it magically passes! Check it out for yourself on page 28 of this link:

http://myfwc.com/commission/2007/Sept07/Documents/MajorProposedRuleChangesforWildlifeandFreshwaterFish4C2.pdfThere’s something shaddy going on here.

Here's the guy to call: Chuck Collins 561-625-5131. Please we need everyone's help!

Here's the FWC's press release:
News Release

FWC passes ATV restrictions for 3 South Fla. WMAs

February 26, 2008

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has passed new rules regarding the use of ATVs on Everglades and Francis Taylor, Holey Land and Rotenberger wildlife management areas (WMAs). 

Effective July 1, 2008, the use of ATVs will be allowed for hunting purposes only and only during the archery, muzzleloading gun and general gun seasons.  In addition, ATVs will be allowed for scouting purposes two weeks before archery season and one week before the start of muzzleloading gun and general gun-walk seasons.

The unrestricted use of ATVs on these WMAs has resulted in extensive resource damage and public safety concerns.  The FWC took this action following its rulemaking process, which included publicizing proposed rules on its Web site in August and September 2007, publishing the proposed rules in the Florida Administrative Weekly and public meetings in September and December 2007 and February 2008.

Final consideration of this rule by FWC took place at the February Commission meeting. For further information, see the meeting agenda at MyFWC.com/Commission/2008/Feb08/index.html.   

The FWC is a member of the Florida Off-highway Vehicle Advisory Council.  The council is working with riding groups to develop safe and sustainable riding sites in Florida.  For more information on the council see www.floridaohv.org.

Anoriginal

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »

Sorry dude, you're a little too late.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com