Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATV"s will now officially be "off-limits" on any SFWMD Levees.  (Read 11584 times)
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 06:50:22 AM »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we always been prohibited from SFWMD lands?

Doesn't this statement pretty much effectively make riding the new Collier park prohibited?

Why would these Holeylands/FWC rules change because of this?

Vehicle Information

No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife and environmental area designated and posted as "CLOSED" because of inclement weather, poor road conditions, construction, management activities, or wildlife surveys.
No person shall park any vehicle in a manner that obstructs a road, gate, or firelane.
During archery, muzzleloading, and general gun-walk seasons, only ATVs are permitted for hunting.  While an ATV is in motion, no person shall occupy any platform or structure attached to it.  No ATV may be equipped with a steering mechanism that would enable the ATV to be operated from a platform or structure attached to it. 
No person shall operate any ATV, motorized two-wheeled vehicle, or motorized three-wheeled vehicle unless it is equipped with an orange flag at least 10 inches wide and 12 inches long and displayed at a minimum height of 6 feet above the top of the seat.
The use or presence of vehicles on wildlife islands, tree islands or tree strands is prohibited.
All vehicles are prohibited from the end of the established duck and coot season through April 30. Airboats are allowed during this period.
Vehicles are prohibited on all levees except L-5 and Miami Canal levees. 

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2007, 07:18:25 AM »

Jack, the Collier park is on "leased" land from a company called ALICO. Once the New park opens up, which in my opinion is NEVER, Collier county would take the deed to this land.

Now for the second part, Holyland is land OWNED by SFWMD that is managed by FWC. That place is really a STA that allows hunting on it. SFWMD owns over 300,000 acres. They have land throughout 16 counties in the state. There's an OHV study being done right now in Miami-Dade county. About 2 to 3 weeks ago, 1 hour before the lands study was to come out, SFWMD called Parks and Rec and told them to remove all SFWMD lands as potential sites for an OHV park.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:27 AM »

Jack, the Collier park is on "leased" land from a company called ALICO. Once the New park opens up, which in my opinion is NEVER, Collier county would take the deed to this land.

Now for the second part, Holyland is land OWNED by SFWMD that is managed by FWC. That place is really a STA that allows hunting on it. SFWMD owns over 300,000 acres. They have land throughout 16 counties in the state. There's an OHV study being done right now in Miami-Dade county. About 2 to 3 weeks ago, 1 hour before the lands study was to come out, SFWMD called Parks and Rec and told them to remove all SFWMD lands as potential sites for an OHV park.

I understand that and I am still absorbing that giant draft, but I already see some places folks REALLY care about a lot more in jeopardy than the Holeylands IMO, which would never be considered as an ATV park in the first place. I would be against that myself!

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »

So no one really answered my question.

What is FWC doing about this? are they sitting at the levey and stopping everyone with atv's? are they even enforcing it?

I am riding tonight, I just don't know where I want to go just yet...chrome seems SWAMPED out!!!

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »

The information i posted is based on the "Final Draft". It will be effective sometime this year until 2011. Once this becomes the "LAW" FWC will be/is the agency that SFMWD pays for enforcement.
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »

For whatever it's worth, this rule is nothing new.  If you go to the SFWMD website and work your way through the recreation section, you will eventually find a link to a 14 page document called "Recreation Rules."  If you read through it, you will see that this rule has always been in place and was most recently updated in July of 2006.  The key words are 'unless authorized elsewhere.'  Look to the FWC Website and find the rules for the Holeylands/Rotenberger/Everglades WMAs and you will see exactly what JackL posted above, which means the L5 and Miami Levees are still legal to ride.  There's your 'authorization elsewhere.' 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 12:46:10 AM »

So basically there is no difference from before?

From what I understand this is not a 'new' law.  I highly doubt they will enforce this 100% either.  Tahts a lot of man hours and a LOT of officers!!!! They would have to put at least 2 officers 24hrs a day...

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
Gato
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 04:17:39 PM »

not really if you are not suppose to be there and you are they dont have to look for you just tow your rig which will suck when you get back and that only takes 1 man then just wait for you by the road not sure if they can tow but just for thought what we need to do is start making calls I know you think a few letters but if everyone sent 5 just do the math and 5 -10 calls a day would fill thier lines all-day we need to come together not asking anyone to go out of thier way but make some calls to your commisioners and maybe send some letters to the governor and basically make noise at least I am

2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1
AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »

All of this just plain out SUCKS!!!!!! Angry

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2007, 05:47:24 PM »

not really if you are not suppose to be there and you are they dont have to look for you just tow your rig which will suck when you get back and that only takes 1 man then just wait for you by the road not sure if they can tow but just for thought what we need to do is start making calls I know you think a few letters but if everyone sent 5 just do the math and 5 -10 calls a day would fill thier lines all-day we need to come together not asking anyone to go out of thier way but make some calls to your commisioners and maybe send some letters to the governor and basically make noise at least I am

I could be wrong, but they can't tow your truck unless you are obstructing a roadway, iligally parked, or some of the other reasons. 

I don't think 'bugging' the FWC will get them to open up the land.

I dunno, 4x4matt and his buddy are heading out there right now..we'll see what happens.

08 Brute 750
crom A zone
Supreme Member

you all wish you where me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2007, 10:30:30 PM »

hello out there to all of you. I no alot of you don't care to much about me, and personally i don't care if you do or don't. i just got back from holylands, FWC was out there and did not say anything to my friend and I, or the 30 other people that where there. So i don't no who got the facts wrong on this thread, but they might wanna look into it a lil more before they scare all the people that sit on here and just post and don't ride and get all of there skirts ina bunch.  Just to let you no i was out their rode (with no beer  Sad) Not one thing was said to any of us so as of now i would say go out and enjoy it while you can, I no i will be so when you see me come say hi and maybe we can do a ride.

Are you all happy i think I did that post to all of you're liking

2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 10:50:47 PM »

Matt, you are the man.

I'll be there bright and early!!!

08 Brute 750
DOITHARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 10:51:30 PM »

New to this forum...I have never been to Holylands...Are there any facilities?  Is overnight camping allowed?  I have a toyhauler not sure if its worth the trip if you cant stay overnight.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 11:38:25 PM »

New to this forum...I have never been to Holylands...Are there any facilities?  Is overnight camping allowed?  I have a toyhauler not sure if its worth the trip if you cant stay overnight.

It is pretty deep right now, so if you have sport quads..no. You can camp Fri, Sat and Sun. No facilities yet.

http://myfwc.com/recreation/holey_land/visitorinfo.asp

http://myfwc.com/recreation/holey_land/recreation.asp#Hunting

DOITHARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 11:50:06 PM »

Thanks for the info...I'll check the place out in a couple of wks.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 11:52:54 PM »

Thanks for the info...I'll check the place out in a couple of wks.

Post in 'where to ride' when you are going.

DOITHARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »

Not sure exactly what dates...the RV has a slider that is not operating properly and we are waiting for the dealer to tell us when its going to be repaired...this is the fourth time for the same item...we are also contemplating legal action under the lemon law...not sure whats going to happen.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com