Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hatfield mcoy trail guide  (Read 3840 times)
321GONE

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2007, 11:25:58 PM »

Going to hatfield with my 15 yr old son. Any preferences on the best trailhead? Also maybe looking to get a guide? Any referals. Figure I could probably see the best and most with a guide(the right one)

2003 prairie 650, You either got a V-Twin or wish you did ! List of mods
2002 300 ex
BIGREDTIDE

3-wheelers....you just gotta know how to ride 'em!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 09:01:48 AM »

I went up there Fall of '05 and stayed at the below.  Terry & Christina Fekete are the owners.  SUPER NICE folks...very knowledgable of the area.

He was, and still may be, a Board Member for the trail system.  He should be able to refer you a guide, and the best trailhead for you and your son.  I believe Pinnacle is the best for 1st timers/beginners to the trails.

He answered all my ?'s thoroughly back when I was looking at going.  Glad I stayed with them.  GOOD LUCK!!

Email: terry@rockhouselodge.com
Phone: 304-583-6833
Secondary Phone: 304-687-4657
Closest Trail: Browning Fork System

Not sure if you been to their site  www.trailsheaven.com
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 10:10:14 AM by BIGREDTIDE » Logged

Jeff
'85 250ES Big Red
'03 CBR 600RR
caospop
Supreme Member

BOOMSHAKAALAAAKAAA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »

I have a question, Do you have to trailer the bikes to the trail or can you ride form rockhouse or depot.

2007 Polaris Sportsman
BIGREDTIDE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:06:52 AM »

I have a question, Do you have to trailer the bikes to the trail or can you ride form rockhouse or depot.
This particular trailhead (Browning Fork) you can ride your atv to the trails from the Rockhouse Lodge or Depot.

I stayed at the Depot.  The Lodge & Depot are only about an 1/8 mile from the other, and only about a mile, 1 1/2 miles from the trailhead.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:10:07 AM by BIGREDTIDE » Logged

Jeff
'85 250ES Big Red
'03 CBR 600RR
pywacket1955

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:47:53 PM »

What size atv does your son ride. If he is 16 or younger he needs to ride a 90cc.  I just called up there last week to double check.  So we changed our plans and we are going to Windrock instead. 

Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »

What size atv does your son ride. If he is 16 or younger he needs to ride a 90cc.  I just called up there last week to double check.  So we changed our plans and we are going to Windrock instead. 

I would like to see a 90 power a 15yr old through the mtns. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING!

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
caospop
Supreme Member

BOOMSHAKAALAAAKAAA

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 12:58:19 PM »

can two people ride on an atv

2007 Polaris Sportsman
BIGREDTIDE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »

can two people ride on an atv
ONLY if it's factory built for 2 people...like the 2-up Can-Am 800.  The standard "rider only" ATV you can not.

Jeff
'85 250ES Big Red
'03 CBR 600RR
trailhouseowner

God Bless America and All Our Troops!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »

As long as the child fits the machine, I really do not think that it would have been a problem. I do not know of any  riders that have been fined or even reprimanded for having a child on an ATV that was not "age appropriate".  Yes, most of them ride machines that fit their bodies, not their age. But the rangers on the trail do not really look for that.   It is in the trail rules as a safety precaution--therefore, the HM Authority can't be held responsible for wrecks, accidents, etc. if a child would be injured. 

Terry Fekete is very knowledgable about the trails.  He is a good person, but he is not a board member.  His son works for the Hatfield McCoy Trails in the office drafting the maps for the trails.  Terry has never been on the board of directors.

If anyone has any questions about the trails, don't hesitate to contact me.  I have been a lodge owner for five years and am a vendor for the Hatfield McCoy Trails.  I sell permits for the trail system.  I am knowledgable about the trails and its rules.

trailhouseowner
Hatfield McCoy Trails

Browning Fork Trailhouse
www.browningforktrailhouse.com

lbucha8150@aol.com

God bless America and all our troops!!
321GONE

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 11:25:02 PM »

AWSOME!!
 Me(prairie 650),Son (300ex), Bro in law (686 Griz 29 vampires) went riding on the little coal river trails.Closest trailhead to the north (Charleston) Terry was very helpful, since we were driving 3 hrs down,riding there 3 hrs home , same day, he said spend the time on the bike not getting to a bigger trailhead, with less time to ride. We rode 38+ miles in 4+ hrs. Drove up on 5 deer, OWL, 2 skunk. tons turkeys,squirrels,AND ONLY 6 PEOPLE> I LIKE THAT!!
FLA BOY  CONVERSION CHART FOR TRAILS
 Green (easiest)=  easy to moderate inclines,slopes,width of trail
 Blue (more difficult)= moderate to challenging areas to get-r-done
 Black (difficult)= Black diamond (yes you and your quad will get to the bottom of the mountain one way
  or another) Fla boy you better look,you cant back up on  a 80% slope, your committed.

Rode all the trails except for 3.  All the black except for two,#72 and #83 (was closed). Did i mention there is boulders in WV. These trails were not Quad passable, 2 wheeler Yes.
 No one checked my son, signed a permit that explained the 90 (BS) rule. He has a restricted license to drive a car is 120 lbs, 5'8" and going to ride a 90 (BS). There is no way it would of done it.

Trails were awesome Full range of everything, hillclimb,rock,cross angle, slope,mud,slippery,boulders,trees,roots,
I will go back.Family has 300 aceres in WV butt nothing like this complete trail system.

MAYBE FL will wake up and do a real trail system, Hatfield ,McCoy permote mud riding,Fun,and difficulty.
Get this a cop told me you can ride down any paved road LEGALLY in WV as long there is no painted center line.
Post some pics later.       

2003 prairie 650, You either got a V-Twin or wish you did ! List of mods
2002 300 ex
BIGREDTIDE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 10:48:05 AM »

Awesome!!  Glad you all had a great time.  The H&M trail system is very fun.  I even did a few Black trails myself..on my 250 Big Red.  Some of them are VERY challenging.  Definitely for EXPERIENCED riders only.

Hoping to make the 500+ mile trip up again someday.   Cool

Thanks for posting Lisa (?).  I'd emailed you and many others when I was gathering info on deciding where I wanted to ride/stay.  I remember you were very helpful...and I appreciate it.  Thanks!   Grin

Jeff
'85 250ES Big Red
'03 CBR 600RR
trailhouseowner

God Bless America and All Our Troops!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »

Thanks!!  Glad to  be able to help!!

trailhouseowner
Hatfield McCoy Trails

Browning Fork Trailhouse