Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holey Lands/Rottenberger Sat April 9th  (Read 10104 times)
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 11:20:53 AM »

Been bitten many times. Don't bother me, but you never know how you body is going to react to the bite. Something like over 90% of all spider species live in Florida. That's a lot of different types of poisons. Luckily there is only like 2 kinds that can kill an average person. Sucks they both live in Florida.

jackinthebox23

Life is good.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 11:27:16 AM »

isn't the brown recluse one of the one's that can kill you?  If not, isn't that the one that can eat huge holes in your skin?  I just remember that one as being one I should stay away from.

Eiger...I have to run to Naples early saturday morning to drop a camper off for repair (screwed it up at MSG last month) then will head over from Naples to Holeylands. so, I'll have to meet you there. But, nextel ID is 159*37*17301... name is Tony.  We can nextel on saturday and meet up.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 400
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »

Yeah got bit by what appeared to be a small brown recluse. My skin swelled up, itched and turned to leather. Eventually it went away.

SoFlaEiger

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 11:57:22 AM »

Been bitten many times. Don't bother me, but you never know how you body is going to react to the bite. Something like over 90% of all spider species live in Florida. That's a lot of different types of poisons. Luckily there is only like 2 kinds that can kill an average person. Sucks they both live in Florida.

after that bite, i did some research on my poisonous animals in the glades so im prepared if it happens again.

For starts, recluses aren't known to be deadly but they can leave big scars, and cause a lot of swelling and pain for up to a month or more!!!  Some people don't react too bad to them though.

As for the whole daddy long legs being poisonous but not being able to bite through human skin, I found this (and its interesting!)

There are two types of "Daddy long legs"...Daddy long legs and Daddy long leg SPIDERS.  Daddy long legs are in the arachnid family but not the same one as spiders (ticks, mites, scorpions are also in the arachnid family).  Daddy long legs are not venomous at all.  Daddy long leg spiders are not known to be fatal to humans and whether or not they can bite through the skin is not supported by fact.  They have an uncate fang system like the brown recluse so its possible they can bite through, but its also possible their fangs aren't as strong as the recluse.  So its just a myth as of right now that the daddy long leg spiders are extremely venomous.

I also learned that mocassin bites are rarely fatal.  Pit Vipers VOLUNTARILY inject venom, and most bites on humans don't even result in envenomation and the ones that do are small amounts.  They say that if you're not dead within the first 10 minutes of a mocassin bite, you have at least 12 hours or more to get treatment.  And to die in 10 minutes, you would have to be BITTEN and have that sucker hold on!  If you have immediate swelling around the bite, then you were bitten severely and should seek medical attention right away.  Otherwise, document the swelling as it expands from the bite.  It also says NOT to cut and suck or apply ice but rather just wash with soap and water and get to the hospital!

Kinda scary stuff!!!

anyways, i'll be out there around mid afternoon now i guess?  Maybe I'll go fishin in the morning...we'll see.
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 07:04:25 AM »

I sure didn't get any powers like spiderman did  Shocked [smiley=drink.gif]

wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 07:11:26 AM »

a recluse has a mark on it that is black and shaped like a violin. right? Did you see this marking?

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 08:18:01 AM »

No. I didn't even feel it bite me, but I saw it hauling ass, like a criminal leaving the scene. Then I saw that I was bit. It never hurt persay, it just itched and swelled. It actually still itches a little to this day.

SoFlaEiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 08:44:11 AM »

No. I didn't even feel it bite me, but I saw it hauling ass, like a criminal leaving the scene. Then I saw that I was bit. It never hurt persay, it just itched and swelled. It actually still itches a little to this day.

they say the recluse bites can last months and months.

so what time are we meeting at the holey lands on saturday?
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2005, 08:51:54 AM »

To bad you can't run the spiders over like a gator and spit them out the back!
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2005, 08:54:34 AM »

I want to ride on saturday, but have another figgin wedding to go to. I hate weddings! What's up Don & Brian.
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2005, 09:03:46 AM »

Earliest I see myself out there will be 2pm. Have to head up to PSL in the morning. I'll be going out there with my buddy HondaBeaterSoFla and maybe some others. We got the Red Ranchers, mine has the signature yellow bag on the back rack and a cooler on the front. Finding us shouldn't be too hard, usually we're doing something insane in the mud! Thinking of making a video on not what to do when riding. Last week we learned you can't drive a quad upside down in water for long. This week we're trying Stoppies  Grin

SoFlaEiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »

Last week we learned you can't drive a quad upside down in water for long.

I'm not even gonna ask.

Hey matt...all your friends are getting hitched it seems!! they should know better!  Any luck finding a 4x4 yet?? Smiley
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »

Not yet still thinking on what to buy.
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »

Yes I some pretty foolish friends, no more hummers for them.   Sad Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free!
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2005, 07:17:10 AM »

[smiley=drink.gif]

Axo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2005, 08:06:08 AM »

Where is the Holey Lands / Rottenberger? I'm running out of places to ride up here.
               Jeff

2003 Raptor 660, Red/Blk, White Bros R4, Jet Kit, Pro Design Pro flow Kit, IMS Pegs,IMS Heel guards,AC Nerfs, AC Front Bumper, 5" rear wheel spacers, 3" front wheel spacers.
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2005, 08:27:39 AM »

Axo It's at the Palm Beach / Broward line on Hwy 27. You can't miss it. Turn on to the road and just follow it straight out.
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2005, 08:34:51 AM »

Axo I'm assuming you have a raptor so I would suggest you stay by the cross-over. The cross-over is right after you get of the pavement on to the dirt road. It's a lot drier there. If you keep going out you will run into the pumphouse and it's to wet out there. I have a warrior and I put gators on the back of it and I still got stuck a lot. It was a constant foot of water and sawgrass. No fun, but did run over an 6 foot alligator!
HondaBeaterSFL

I shoulda packed a lunch or two.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2005, 04:31:18 PM »

Hey Sean was that a cheap shot at me? It never said anywhere in the manual that you cant give it gas and pull out of an upsidedown position. I can see the humor in watching your buddy flip slooowly back with that oh $hit look on his face, and then while under the quad & under water, keep giving it a few jabs on the throttle. I kept saying "It pull outta this, it pulls outta every perdicament I throw at it". Cant say my Honda let me down, just kinda found that performance limit. Ya know? LOL

Truck
ATV
Fishing pole
SoFlaEiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2005, 09:17:01 AM »

then while under the quad & under water, keep giving it a few jabs on the throttle. I kept saying "It pull outta this, it pulls outta every perdicament I throw at it". Cant say my Honda let me down, just kinda found that performance limit. Ya know? LOL

I think this would have been the funniest thing to see in person man!! Maybe yesterday when i caught a bass and it started pissing on the boat and I aimed it at my friend...maybe that was funnier but i dunno...
TRX350_On_The_Rack
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2005, 08:26:57 AM »

Had a great time. Great to meet you guys. Would have stayed, but a long day did me in. Brian the pic of you covered in mud got blurred up. Got the pic of you guys with the Airboat if you need.

SoFlaEiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2005, 10:21:52 AM »

Had a great time. Great to meet you guys. Would have stayed, but a long day did me in. Brian the pic of you covered in mud got blurred up. Got the pic of you guys with the Airboat if you need.

it was nice riding with you too shawn! look forward to doin it again!  Ya, send over that picture if you could.  You could post it here and I'll just save it or your can email me at brianlupo@2by2.net

Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com