Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badluck/Squares update...not good  (Read 5912 times)
GreggT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:50:40 AM »

Went out to the squares today with naples raptor. We went to the ranger station as advised. The forestry guy was as nice as could be...but said the Federal Govt (Wildlife Management) called them and overruled the state. Said they cannot issue permits because it simply was not legal to ride there because it is a designated wildlife mgmt area.  The Forestry guy was mad at the way they were treated by the Federal side...but said there was nothing he could do. He is giving everyone a list of names to call or write to voice our concern. He did say that he didn't think the Wildlife people were gonna enforce anything until after Thanksgiving. Here we go again...

'04 Z400 LE  ATP'd.
'03 250EX, Pc T-4 pipe, Dynojet jet kit,
K&N filter, DG nerfs & bumper, Shredders front & rear
?? Warrior, K&N filter, Mikuni carb, WB pipe, polished nerfs/grab bar/bumper
bbf
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 01:45:38 PM »

i was there last weekend the ranger said the permit was good until june 05
NaplesRaptor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 02:28:05 PM »

according to the Feds the State Forestry division did not have the authority to issue permits or allow riding, so the permits are just scrap paper- hang onto it though as things may change.
See my other post in the general section about this. I have some time this week to invest in to finding out who we need to complain to and I will update that post.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 02:28:50 PM by naplesraptor » Logged
z400stunter

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 03:30:02 PM »

I went to the prarie today and stopped at the ranger station. He told me that they were going to enforce after the 4th of the new year.  We need to all get together and petition of something so we have somewhere to ride!

JUMP IT!
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:11:00 PM »

This is getting crazy!  I guess I will be going to Ocala after all.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
innocent_bystander

Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ Blue Bug Lights

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 11:09:05 AM »

Here is the name of the person that I have contacted. He was a big help before the issueing of the permits. If everybody contacts him maybe we can get answers.

Caloosahatchee District Office
Florida Division of Forestry
10941 Palm Beach Blvd.
Ft. Myers, FL 33905
Telephone: 239/690-3500 Suncom: 715-3500 Fax: 239/690-3504

District Manager: Hank Graham, email: grahamh@doacs.state.fl.us

Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
innocent_bystander

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »

Does anybody have an update on this. Im trying to plan a trip for Dec 10th, 11th, and 12th.

Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
innocent_bystander

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 01:47:07 PM »

I got a response from Hank Graham. He has been a big help. Here it is:

Tom, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who has oversight on this property because Federal funds were used to help acquire the land, instructed us to stop allowing OHV use on Picayune Forest.  They stated that OHV use is incompatible with a restoration project.  We had no choice but to stop issuing special use permits.  Though I don’t have an exact date yet, those permits already issued will expire before the June 05 date listed on the permit.  Letters will be mailed in the near future to all permit holders with the new date.  Until the date is set, the DOF will not prevent anyone from riding responsibly, whether they have a permit or not.  However, Florida FWC wildlife officers may be enforcing their WMA rules that prohibit OHV use.   This would affect those people without a permit. My suggestion is if you already have a permit, you will be alright, but if you don’t FWC wildlife officers may or may not issue you a warning and ask you to leave.  I know that’s not necessarily the answer you wanted to hear.  Please be assured that DOF did everything we could to protect your ability to use the Forest, but the federal government took that flexibility away from us.  If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.

Thanks, Hank Graham  

Well it looks like if you have a permit you can still ride.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 01:47:59 PM by innocent_bystander » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com