Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holey Land Closure - It's Being Rescinded!! IMPORTANT UPDATE!!!  (Read 10873 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »

I have been relentlessly pursuing answers from FWC regarding the continued closure of the Holey Lands/Rotenberger WMA.  I called once again this morning and got the same canned answer that the closure remains in effect due to low water levels and drought conditions.  I countered that I had been out to the Holey Lands the previous week and water levels were 5 - 6 inches deep.  Further, from information on the National Weather Service website, observed precipitation in the area of the Holey Lands over the last 7 days is 5 - 8 inches, which represents an amount in excess of 200% of normal.  In addition to that, the precipitation over the last 60 days is 125% of normal.  Clearly, the conditions that initiated the closure no longer remain.  Why is the closure not being rescinded?  The lady I was speaking to then tried to put me through to the biologist in charge, but after being left on hold for several minutes (in which I would imagine she was filling him in with what I had just said), I was told he was not available and I was allowed to leave him a voice mail.  I have yet to get a return call or a response to any emails I have sent so I don't expect one now, either.  In a time where our riding areas continue to shrink amid legislation and promises to provide more areas, this closure was clearly aimed at removing us from these WMAs.  The drought was merely the excuse they required to justify a closure per the rules they implemented in February of this year (hat rule required a specific reason for closure and prohibited the closure to last more than 14 days without executive approval).  I feel that we need to try to bring some legitimacy to our cause.  The forces at work against us have deep pockets and they use that money to hire lobbyists to achieve their goals.  We need to pull together all the groups of Florida that have similar goals as ours, enlist the help of the manufacturers, form a Political Action Committee and actively pursue that which the government promised us.  This is not an easy task and requires a dedicated team as well as money.  Lobbyists do not work for free but they do get results.  The time will come shortly where our association that represents our interests are going to need more than just our voices; they are going to need our contributions.  Please help when they are ready.

As I was typing this, Mike Anderson of FWC actually returned my call and said that the closure is going to be rescinded.  He said that it will take several days for it to go through but it has been approved.  That being said, he acknowledged that the closure was due in no small part to the abuse of those lands; the littering, vandalism, fires and reckless operation of vehicles.  They had to use this opportunity to get matters under control out there.  I would suspect that unless we see a drastic improvement in the behaviour of those utilizing these WMAs, we are going to lose our riding priviledges forever. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 12:02:19 PM by digginfool » Logged

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »

I for one thank you for the update.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
hondarider450r

honda trx450r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »

thanks for the update hopefully they will rescinded it soon

'07 HONDA TRX450ER
Justbilly

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:46 AM »

I know a lot of you do, but just take the time to stop and pick up that can or bottle you find laying on a trail.

Every little bit helps.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 10:57:41 AM »

I know a lot of you do, but just take the time to stop and pick up that can or bottle you find laying on a trail.

Every little bit helps.

It isn't the trails that are the problem.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »

That is good news. You hit them with facts & they saw the light. You should extend an invitation to thet person who called you back to the Rally. Maybe he cant go but maybe he would know someone with rank that may go.
They dont sound anti atv, just anti idiots. It only takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:17:44 AM by greenmachine » Logged
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 11:18:09 AM »

That is good news. You hit them with facts & they saw the light. You should extend an invitation to thet person who called you back to the Rally. Maybe he cant go but maybe he would know someone with rank that may go.
They dont sound ati atv, just anti idiots. It only takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing.

Well the way I see it, they might ban atv's but we will ALWAYS be able to take our airboats and buggys. Wink That is half the year already under normal conditions anyway.
This drought has been real neat and all, but I hope I am long dead by the time the next one comes around.

Justbilly

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »

They dont sound ati atv, just anti idiots. It only takes a few idiots to ruin a good thing.

Well the way I see it, they might ban atv's but we will ALWAYS be able to take our airboats and buggys. Wink That is half the year already under normal conditions anyway.
This drought has been real neat and all, but I hope I am long dead by the time the next one comes around.

I love the high water.. It limits half the riders to not go some of the places.
Or unless your JackL who would just make a taller snorkle

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 03:29:13 PM by Justbilly » Logged
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 02:35:14 PM »

You know it is so sad that people need to mess it up for everyone else. 

Here's an idea, we should always have a camera on hand, and when we some idiot throwing trash to the ground, take their picture and post it on web-site.  Heck the have web-sites now just for stuff like that.  We could create a special thread just for pics of idiots trashing places. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »

You know it is so sad that people need to mess it up for everyone else. 

Here's an idea, we should always have a camera on hand, and when we some idiot throwing trash to the ground, take their picture and post it on web-site.  Heck the have web-sites now just for stuff like that.  We could create a special thread just for pics of idiots trashing places. 

I would do that if I hung out in the parking lot.

I love the high water.. It limits half the riders to not go some of the places.
Or unless your JackL who would just make a taller snorkle

Haha, My limit is 4', anything more and I put the quad away in favor of something easier these days. Wink

offroadinFL

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 07:23:52 PM »

I go there all the time when it is open three hour drive for me I really like the place and it has been super dry. no fun to be had till now. that is why it is closed.

KQ 700 w/27" Gators
jrpro130
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 11:44:10 PM »

Awesome to hear.  Maybe we should all plan up a ride (probably have to go light trails for us 2wd guys) to clean up the place a little? I know it's been done before and all, but just to show what we are about.  Everyone should wear a helmet and of course have their flags up. 

I think it would be good just to show we aren't a bunch of asshats clowning around drinking all day...

I wouldn't mind another holeylands cleanup ride!

08 Brute 750
Snorkel/Radiator Relocated, 29.5's, Muzzy, PCIII, UNI, and a few other custom mods
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 06:37:20 AM »

Awesome to hear.  Maybe we should all plan up a ride (probably have to go light trails for us 2wd guys) to clean up the place a little? I know it's been done before and all, but just to show what we are about.  Everyone should wear a helmet and of course have their flags up. 

I think it would be good just to show we aren't a bunch of asshats clowning around drinking all day...

I wouldn't mind another holeylands cleanup ride!

Great idea. My only question is, what is an asshat?

papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »

I am in for a Holeylands Cleanup Ride!!! Since I have never been there yet I think this would be best organized by someone that is very familiar with the place. I would truly like to see ATV FL and Fl ATV ban together in this effort. It would support what we are trying to depict at the Rally and also support what we are looking for RESPECT as a group of outdoor enthusiast.

I am more than willing to assist anyone that would like to head up such a ride
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2007, 02:22:15 PM »

The place is HUGE! Thankfully it is mostly clean.

I would pick up some trash in the parking lot...if there is any and take pictures BEFORE the GRAND reopening party I suppose. I should have taken pictures of that for all the times I've done it, so we could skip it this time. Wink

papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »

If we do it we need to alert the news media about it, we need more good press
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »

With all that is going on the next few weekends I would suggest we plan something for the 2nd or 3rd weekend of July
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »

If we do it we need to alert the news media about it, we need more good press

No question we will be doing it!! I can't see any of our local stations taking the time to actually report it though, they only have a limited amount of time to report on what Paris is eating and who Lindsy crashed into you know.

5, 25 or 12 in your area would be a better bet. I actually know folks from those stations from fixing their dishes. I will call em when it is time and see whats up. A newspaper article would be great. Anyone know someone at the sentinel or herald?

papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »

OK, Jack let's you and I paln this and head it up, we can set a date, time and palce then post it to ATV Florida and Florida ATV, we have time to set the date and also get it mentioned at the Rally as an upcoming event.

What ya think?
06 BaNsHeE
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »

Someone needs to talk to cary about this.She has all the hookups.I think her name is Miamigrlrider.I can also tell her through myspace if you cant get to her on here
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »

Please inform her of this effort we would welcome her knowledge in this area
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »

OK, Jack let's you and I paln this and head it up, we can set a date, time and palce then post it to ATV Florida and Florida ATV, we have time to set the date and also get it mentioned at the Rally as an upcoming event.

What ya think?

06 great idea!!

Papahouse, I guess we should post in group rides and see what time/day works for everyone.  Do it up!!!

papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »

OK you're on, I will mpost a poll on which weekend woirks best on both sites.
backinsaddle

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 05:02:05 PM »

this is always a great idea.  i would help if available.  this was done a couple years ago by members of the site.  I think asphaltdragon video taped it and made a advertising clip.  it would be a good idea to make this a "round 2", make a video, get a florida atv association banner, start spreading the name and show we are consistent supporters of the community and good riding ethics.
hondarider450r

honda trx450r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 05:09:12 PM »

hey i am in tell me wen and wat time. ive got about 20 friends that will come with 12 bikes. just let me know

'07 HONDA TRX450ER
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com