Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Rally Cross-Post  (Read 8519 times)
digginfool
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »

I've held my tongue for probably too long but I've got to get this off my chest.  Let me start by saying this post will not be very well received, however, it bears serious consideration.  I commend Shawn for the hard work that went into putting the rally together; somebody needed to step up and take on the challenge and, God Bless him, he did it.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the vision was lost.  It went from impressing the politicians and general public about what a safety concious, family oriented group we are to a near out of control, extreme riding free-for-all.  I'm not privy to what happened at the original venue, but being a business man and seeing on this thread the events that are being planned, I'm not so sure I would want to host it either.  This should have been a show of solidarity; not 4-wheel prowess.  That's what group rides were for.  I'm sorry if I've hurt any feelings and I really don't care if you don't like me for what I've said, but that's the truth.  This rally stands to do more harm for our sport than any other single event that's happened on the six o'clock news ever has.  Don't think for a second that any news crews that do show up won't edit the tapes to show us in a negative light; one minor spill will give them all the footage they'll need, let alone a major spill.  And for those of you that will challenge me with why didn't I step up earlier, I did.  I attempted to send Dreth a message through one of his friends over a month ago.  I saw no change so I felt it was only right to present it to the members at large.  It's not too late to change the events.  We are all far better served with a tame, laid back show of unity than an extreme, in-your-face demonstration of daredevil stunts and drag races.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
sbripple

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 04:21:54 AM »

you make some good points,but I suppose we will see what happens.I dont like races and all that either,but if the majority do then,I suppose there will be races.Lets hope it goes well.If nothing else ,some people will have fun.
BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »

I think we will be ok.

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.
z400

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »

I agree with you digginfool. This event has been a debacle. All the positive momentum for the Rally was lost when the original location was canceled. That was unfortunate. LCross does not have the reputation for a family oriented atmosphere. The last photos I saw of that place looked like backwoods rednecks, deliverance style. I hope they prove me wrong. I want the Rally to succeed.
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »

I've held my tongue for probably too long but I've got to get this off my chest.  Let me start by saying this post will not be very well received, however, it bears serious consideration.  I commend Shawn for the hard work that went into putting the rally together; somebody needed to step up and take on the challenge and, God Bless him, he did it.  Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, the vision was lost.  It went from impressing the politicians and general public about what a safety concious, family oriented group we are to a near out of control, extreme riding free-for-all.  I'm not privy to what happened at the original venue, but being a business man and seeing on this thread the events that are being planned, I'm not so sure I would want to host it either.  This should have been a show of solidarity; not 4-wheel prowess.  That's what group rides were for.  I'm sorry if I've hurt any feelings and I really don't care if you don't like me for what I've said, but that's the truth.  This rally stands to do more harm for our sport than any other single event that's happened on the six o'clock news ever has.  Don't think for a second that any news crews that do show up won't edit the tapes to show us in a negative light; one minor spill will give them all the footage they'll need, let alone a major spill.  And for those of you that will challenge me with why didn't I step up earlier, I did.  I attempted to send Dreth a message through one of his friends over a month ago.  I saw no change so I felt it was only right to present it to the members at large.  It's not too late to change the events.  We are all far better served with a tame, laid back show of unity than an extreme, in-your-face demonstration of daredevil stunts and drag races.
I agree with all of this. Good thing you didnt post it in the rally section or we wouldnt get to read it. This is turning into an L-Cross event weekend. I personally wont be able to attend. I also dont contribute to the site or the rally funds so to some I shouldnt have a voice. I did however write the rally flyer(chest thump,chest thump). I hope it all works out, but it is turning into something it wasnt supposed to be. I remember in the beginning when climbing walls & fun games were introduced, it was shot down immediately, but since the venue changed so did the theme. I am sure all will have fun, but has anyone ever been on a weekend group ride with hundreds of people & someone didnt get hurt? Beleive me, if someone wrecks we will all know it whether we are there or not. I beleive the fun & games are just to get people to drive to BFE. At $3.10/gal. of gas,probably $3.25 by then, you gotta have something fun to bring them in. I still hand out flyers at my shop & talk highly of the cause & will continue to promote it for what is was meant to be.
All of you who started this thing, God bless ya. I know your family life probably took a hit to do this & I hope for the best.
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:09:07 PM »

I'm an optimist.It's still an event to mark something we want and are trying to achieve.It's a sport, and people can get hurt with any sport and we have to emphasize that to the media.
   I hope the vast majority will be there just to show numbers and not how fast they can go.We all still want to have fun, but there is going to be a great number of people trying to prevent incidents by positive communication and watchful eyes.
   Whether or not anything bad happens, if there is a presence there that wants us to look bad, then that's what will happen.They have the power of media, we don't.All we can hope is that their there working for us in a good light. Don't give up the faith...that's exactly what they want.How much positive reinforcement do you need? Just be patient and wait and see what happens!!
   As far as the location, it's not where you go that matters, but who you go with.As long as we try hard to make it fun!!
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:16:50 PM »

I am just having a bad day. 1st this then I am told my kids gotta take a mandatory safety course & it will have a mandatory cost of $75 each. ugghhh Oh well, It is almost beer thirty. I just hope it doesnt turn into a free for all down there. If I go it will only be for the day Saturday, but at this time I just dont know for sure if I will.
crom A zone
Supreme Member

you all wish you where me

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

hey i go to l cross every month and if i had a family i would bring them there everytime (evan for the adult weekends if i could)  this sport just like every other sport is for fun. and if more of us have fun racing and stuff lets show the news that we can do it in a fair manner. dont judge l cross basied on pics they do the best job holding evnets for us to ride every month some times twice a month

2008 brute force 750

30inch itp mulite xxl on ss108s
rad reloated and mimb snorkles
gold/red epi clutch springs
hl springs and extream 2inch lift
exrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 09:03:46 PM »

I for one liked the tone of the first rally local. It seemed like more of a show of unity, with most people saying they would leave there bikes on the trailer.
Now I envision people riding around with no skid lid and a beer in hand.
Don't get me wrong, half the time thats how I ride. But around my kids I try
to give them a better example,and I think we all should at the rally.

Quote:

This rally stands to do more harm for our sport than any other single event that's happened on the six o'clock news ever has.  Don't think for a second that any news crews that do show up won't edit the tapes to show us in a negative light; one minor spill will give them all the footage they'll need, let alone a major spill.

I agree but hope that it won't turn out this way.
I can't see how a wheelie contest will not hurt us though.

2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »

This negativity is killing me. Why do you guys assume that we cant behave ourselves and have a safe fun get together?  The rules will keep everyone in line and they WILL be enforced.
  The events are for entertainment and designed to be safe with helmets required.
  ANYONE with an ATV that misses this, will miss a great time and a chance to pull together and unify. If we dont get organized and start supporting those that are fighting for us, then our riding days are numbered.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »

Why is it that anyone that offers any comments other than that accepted by the 'fold' are negative and against the rally?  Surely you have heard the term 'constructive criticism?'  Chillin, I'm not so sure you've been to Holeylands on a crowded weekend, to Croom on the same or nearly any other spot that large numbers of riders congregate.  There are idiots on this planet and where there is a party to spoil, one or more will almost always show up to oblige.  Look at the videos and photos that have come out of L-Cross and tell me that is the image we want to project to the voters in Naples, Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach (and soon to be the rest of the state); areas where we desperately need places to ride.  Is this the same image we want to send to Tallahassee?  Sure, there will be rules and enforcement; doesn't mean it will stop the idiots from showing up and mucking it all up in front of the cameras before someone can get a hand on them and toss them out the gate (that would also make wonderful camera fodder).  Croom has rules and rangers, Holeylands and ONF has rangers hell bent on enforcement yet none of these places can save themselves from tragedy.  I stick to what I said above.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 09:57:27 PM »

I completely understand. I have been to CnR on a busy weekend and that is NOT what we want, but a LOT of the crazyness was from big trucks and buggies and of course open drinking and no helmets anywhere.  I'd like to think that anyone attending this event will come with the understanding of what we are trying to accomplish.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
dreth

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:15 PM »

The next rally needs a leader.............any takers?
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »

Why is it that anyone that offers any comments other than that accepted by the 'fold' are negative and against the rally?  Surely you have heard the term 'constructive criticism?'  Chillin, I'm not so sure you've been to Holeylands on a crowded weekend, to Croom on the same or nearly any other spot that large numbers of riders congregate.  There are idiots on this planet and where there is a party to spoil, one or more will almost always show up to oblige.  Look at the videos and photos that have come out of L-Cross and tell me that is the image we want to project to the voters in Naples, Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach (and soon to be the rest of the state); areas where we desperately need places to ride.  Is this the same image we want to send to Tallahassee?  Sure, there will be rules and enforcement; doesn't mean it will stop the idiots from showing up and mucking it all up in front of the cameras before someone can get a hand on them and toss them out the gate (that would also make wonderful camera fodder).  Croom has rules and rangers, Holeylands and ONF has rangers hell bent on enforcement yet none of these places can save themselves from tragedy.  I stick to what I said above.

Constructive Criticism offers alternative ways to make it better, you were just negative in your posts. This rally is being held on private property with hired security and volunteer security. If someone acts up and does not follow the rules, they WILL be removed. Just because it is at L-Cross, does not mean it can not be a positive event. We need everyone to show up and help us fight for what we deserve. Just come out for Saturday and give it a shot. If you are not comfortable and feel it is giving us negative press then feel free to head home early.

Also people, remember, this even has an ENTIRELY different set of rules than regular L-Cross events. There will be NO alcohol allowed during the rally. You can enjoy your alcohol after the rally though.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »

The next rally needs a leader.............any takers?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin The next one will be organised by a committee from the association. Let them gripe at a number of people, not just one. You are not getting off that easy though, I think you did a great job with this one, and what was available to you. You need to head up the committee for the next one. I know how you feel though, I get the same cr@p with the association. Everyone thinks they could do better, but never step up and do it.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 10:23:13 PM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin The next one will be organised by a committee from the association.

SSSHHHH Dont tell Lisa or Viper they still think we don't know what we are doing
jetski dawg

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »

dreth ..thank you and everyone else for all the hard work you did to put this on..l-cross didnt have to put this on.. they are sticking there necks out on this too.. im showing up with my family and camping with our friends from north port..ive never been to l-cross or some of the other riding areas because we are at the race track.. you will always have some a$$ that shows up to ruin things but i have the confident in the people that are taking the time to show up for the support of our sport to police ourselfs and to show that we are a group that needs safer places to ride...why would it be wrong to have fun?? isnt it the reason why we ride?? to have fun with friends and family??.. i think its important to show the public and elected officials our sport in a positive light.. but this protest isnt a subject like the war, human rights,free trade..so why not have fun...just my 2cents
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 11:44:27 PM »

I agree with Big, your not giving constructive criticism, your showing signs of disappointment and disbelief.We all know it can be good and bad.You have to accept it if it happens, but don't expect it before it does.
   That's called self predicting failure. We're all feeling the frustration of having nowhere to ride. Stay with us man...we'll still ride with you.Even if it comes down to a patch in your front yard, we'll spend the day shooting rocks in the street as we do donuts!!
   So, there may be some idiots, just don't join them and their incidents will look small and isolated.
   Come to the Rally , this is for places to ride. If you give up, then you might as well just give me your quads
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:26 AM »

I agree 100% with the spirit of your OP, but I figure since their will be no drinking during the day, and strict enforcement of the rules, everything will be great. This rally and the internet won't attract bike thieves and the losers we see around, which BTW you have generalised with all of us.

Why do you need to take a shot at the Holeylands? The last tragedy out there I can think of was a lightning strike last year.

The majority of people out there wear helmets and are safe riders, of course the idiots on stolen bikes sometimes make it there from Krome, but very rarely. I have thousands of photos and video to back
up what I am saying as well and will be happy to post them.

This sport/hobby is dangerous, people can and do get hurt even when acting responsibly all the time. I can back that up as well with news stories if you so desire.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
sbripple

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 06:18:02 AM »

I dont want what some of you call a sport to be defined by a few.I just ride.I dont participate in a sport.L-Cross is great most any time.There are good and bad points like anything else.I wont wear a helmet,but I dont drive fast like some do.I like the option of drinking a beer if I feel like it ,but dont get stupid and drunk ever.I do modify my behavior when I am around small children and wives but dont like ,or need  to  be told to.I wont attend the rally for many reasons.The most impostant one is I am afraid I might have to slap one of the little smart mouths from this site.That said,That will be my contribution to your rally .I wont go.Dreth you put forth a noble effort dude and it is apreciated.I hope all the doubters are wrong.I suspect some good will come from this rally no matter what happens.
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 07:37:29 AM »

I hope I'm wrong, too.  It's just when you set the stage with competitions and then egg each other on by calling them sissies, you are the one that is planning failure.  A fun little rubber chicken relay has now become a matter of pride.  A drag-stop now is taken to the point where somebody is going to endo their quad trying to be 'the man.'  I'm all for having fun and I'm all for the biggest group ride Florida has ever seen.  I think we can make a bigger statement without the hijinks.  As far as calling out Holeylands, Jack, I've been riding out there for 10 years.  Please don't try to tell me about how safe the riders are out there.  Once you get off the levees and out away from the parking areas, yeah, maybe, but on any given weekend, there is an endless display of wrecklessness and ignorance going on.  There have been many accidents, along with a few deaths, out there.  Why do you think they are trying to run us out of there?  But I digress; again, for all of you who think I'm against the rally and/or Shawn, re-read my post.  I have nothing but good to say about the original premise of the rally and for Shawn.  I'm disappointed in the direction the rally has gone and only suggested that Shawn try to reel things in a bit so that we don't invite disaster to our party for all the world to see. 

BTW, Scrub, if you re-read my post above and the thread in the Rally section, you will see I have offered my opinion on alternative ways of conducting the event. 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 09:28:06 AM by digginfool » Logged

JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2007, 08:00:33 AM »

FWIW: I have been visiting/riding the Holeylands for 30 years, and while you do see some stupid stuff out there, considering one or maybe two FWC officers max are around at any given time, it is as close to the wild west as you can get in Broward, and it is quite civilised IMO. I've never met anyone out there that wasn't cool. Honestly, if it were 1/2 as bad as some folks make it out to be, it would be empty. We have plenty of options here in Broward.

I never lock my ramp, gas or tools and also I've never had a problem with gravel spray. The same yahoos you see wheelstanding up and down Krome are the ones spinning doughnuts in the parking lot, you can never escape them..AKA Croom, but they make up 1% of the atv population if that and I don't see them attending the rally anyway.

Well, if you are correct, you will have mad braggin' rights here....however unpopular it might make you.  Wink

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »

Bang Head

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »

Exactly Chillin.Some people are meant for golf!!
digginfool
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 09:29:30 AM »

Not looking for any 'braggin' rights' Jack. 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com