Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Badluck/Squares Update: The Fat Lady has Sung  (Read 31015 times)
innocent_bystander

Polaris Sportsman 500 w/ Blue Bug Lights

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2004, 09:04:18 AM »

Went to Badluck this weekend with a couple of buddies and had a short trip. We went out Friday afternoon and had no problems. Good ride, the prarie is really wet.

Saturday we got up, and did an afternoon ride. Had a great time, made it all the way to Boy Scout Camp, even with some people flooding their quads, eehmm Mike. Well on the way back we were stopped by 2 Wildlife Officers right before we got to the T-Canal Campground.

The short story is, we were told that from this point forward there are no ATVs/OHV allowed in the area, it is a Wildlife Management Area. I asked about the ATV/OHV Park they were supposed to set up before the closed Badluck/Squares to riding, and the Officer said that if he were me he would be complaining to someone about that. This was not really a warning, we were told to pack up the bikes and not bring them back.

Well we drove back to camp, figured we would eat and then get a last ride in. Well the Wildlife Officers came into the camp now, to make sure we were loading our quads up. I asked one of the Officers if we could stay the night, he said yes, but he wanted the quads loaded up in our trucks if we stayed. Well, we packed up and left. I'm sad to say that riding at Badluck/Squares is done.

Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
zilla954

THE MUD STUD!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 10:21:01 AM »

For some reason, the FWC has a different story every other week.  I was out there two weeks ago, and they said we could ride as long as we had helmets!

Tim
2005 Suzuki Eiger, 1990 lt500r,
1984 atc 200x, 1983 atc 185s
1998 zx9r, 1983 yz 490 -for sale
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/zilla954/eigersig2.jpg
Redgrizzly660

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 10:26:55 AM »

One department does'nt know what the others is doing.
Department of forestry saids "yes riding"

Fwc                                      " No riding"
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 10:32:29 AM »

That's funny, I was there on Saturday the entire day with my loud-a** blaster and I didn't even see and rangers.  I hope they don't close it down, that would mean driving all the way to Croom everytime we wanted a real place to ride.  Tongue

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
innocent_bystander

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 01:17:04 PM »

From what the FWC Officer said, they agree, one dosent know what the other is doing. He also added that the Forestry dosent have the authority, they do. They said it is a Wildlife Area, and under their control. We mentioned the rules that were passed out and what others were told by Forestry. From what we were told, on Friday they were warning it was comming, and on Saturday they acted on it.

BTW, hey Grizz were you at the T Canal Saturday Night. I thought I saw you drive by in your Jeep that I saw in pictures here. If it was you I drove right by in a Big Red Polaris 500.

Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.
innocent_bystander

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 01:24:36 PM »

Toomey - we were told at about 7:00 or so. The sun was just going down. So you may have left by the time they were telling people.

~ This may be the reason for the sudden closure.

Governor Bush Accelerates Restoration of America's Everglades
--Eight key environmental projects to be completed 10 years ahead of schedule--

AMERICA'S EVERGLADES - Joined by a host of environmental advocates, Governor Jeb Bush today unveiled an ambitious plan to accelerate the restoration of America's Everglades. As part of the $8 billion state-federal partnership to restore the River of Grass, Florida is stepping up the pace to complete critical environmental projects more than a decade ahead of schedule.

"Florida is strengthening its commitment to the Everglades by further accelerating the largest environmental restoration effort in this nation's history," said Governor Jeb Bush. "Completing critical restoration projects more than 10 years ahead of schedule will provide immediate environmental, social and economic benefits."

The culmination of months of discussion with their federal partners, Florida is speeding up funding, design and construction to complete eight Everglades restoration projects over the next seven years. At substantial savings to taxpayers, the projects include construction of more than 8,000 acres of treatment marsh, which use plants to clean pollution from water flowing into the Everglades. In addition, above ground reservoirs will offer 418,000 acre-feet of water storage -- the same capacity as six million residential swimming pools.

"Florida's determination to accomplish results at less cost demonstrates our commitment to this massive environmental endeavor," said Department of Environmental Protection Secretary Colleen M. Castille. "Our strategic investment will revive wildlife habitat, improve flood control and deliver 50 percent of the surface water storage needed to replenish the entire 2.4 million-acre marsh."

Accelerated projects include:

Biscayne Bay Coastal Wetlands will restore the quantity, quality, timing and distribution of freshwater to Biscayne Bay, expand coastal wetlands, revive marine habitat and improve the health of Biscayne National Park.
C-111 Spreader Canal will provide a more natural sheet-flow to Florida Bay eliminating harmful freshwater discharges and revitalizing wetlands and wildlife habitat in the Southern Glades and Model Lands.
C-43 West Storage Reservoir will capture and store stormwater runoff and freshwater releases from Lake Okeechobee to protect coastal estuaries. The 160,000 acre-feet reservoir will also provide a reliable supply of water supply for the Caloosahatchee Estuary along with nearby farms and residential areas.
C-44 Reservoir/Stormwater Treatment Area will capture and treat excess stormwater runoff before it enters the St. Lucie Estuary and Indian River Lagoon. The project includes construction of 4,000 acres of treatment marsh along with a 4,000 acre, 10 foot deep above-ground reservoir.
Everglades Agricultural Area Reservoir Phase 1/Bolles and Cross Canals will protect coastal estuaries and reduce the flow of nutrients into the Everglades by capturing and storing freshwater releases from Lake Okeechobee, along with agricultural stormwater runoff, in a 190,000 acre-feet above ground reservoir.
Everglades Agricultural Area Stormwater Treatment Area Expansion will enhance the performance of 40,000 acres of wetlands already built by the state and construct an additional 4,500 acres of treatment marsh.
Southern Golden Gate Estates will restore a natural flow of water to Ten Thousand Islands National Wildlife Refuge, restore wildlife habitat, improve the quality and quantity of water delivered to coastal estuaries and maintain flood protection.
Five Water Preserve Areas will provide a buffer between natural and developed areas and divert urban runoff into constructed and natural storage areas.
"Sound environmental and financial management is putting Everglades restoration ahead of schedule at considerable savings," said Henry Dean, Executive Director for the South Florida Water Management District. "We are delivering environmental results faster and making water available for nature quicker than originally planned."

With more than 254,000 acres of the land needed to complete Everglades restoration already in public ownership, remaining parcels will be acquired at today's prices avoiding future expenses from rising property values. While creating construction and engineering jobs in South Florida, labor and materials will also be purchased at today's prices.

"The Administration enthusiastically endorses and welcomes the Governor's new 'Acceler8' initiative," said James L. Connaughton, chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality. "It will help us in our joint efforts to restore the Everglades faster and more efficiently and effectively. Our federal agencies will not only be able to help the State achieve dramatic results on a faster pace for these eight projects, but Acceler8 will free up resources to allow the Administration to focus on completing other critical CERP projects and the Modified Water Deliveries Project."

Restoring America's Everglades is reviving habitat for more than 60 threatened and endangered species, establishing a reliable supply of water for more than 8 million Floridians and providing flood control consistent with the restoration -- a benefit underscored by the impact of three hurricanes on South Florida's shores.

Under the leadership of Governor Bush, Florida forged a 50-50 state-federal partnership to implement the $8 billion Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan and has committed more than $2.5 billion through the end of the decade to clean up and restore America's Everglades.

For more information, visit www.evergladesnow.com.

Redgrizzly660

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:13:26 PM »

BTW, hey Grizz were you at the T Canal Saturday Night. I thought I saw you drive by in your Jeep that I saw in pictures here. If it was you I drove right by in a Big Red Polaris 500.

Yes that was me just cutting through the campground.

Grizz
dreadhed

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 03:47:10 PM »

Just wondering where is badluck/squares.  Is it part of onf?  Onf is still open to orvs right?  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 03:56:31 PM by dreadhed » Logged
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 03:56:38 PM »

Just wondering where is badluck/squares.  Is it part of onf?  Onf is still open to ovrs right?  

No its in South florida... my be quite a drive for you just to ride Embarrassed Embarrassed
ONEslowEXer

Leader of the back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 03:56:17 PM »

I Camped out and rode friday , sat, and sunday rode all three days didn't get stopped at all guess I was just lucky! We all need to have a big group/ rally ride real soon ... See if they can stop every one just a thought Sad

04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift
Redgrizzly660

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 04:32:47 PM »

I personally think if we all wrote letters to the FWC and Department of Forestry and they were bombarded with  a couple hundred letters I think that would get their attention.

Just My 2 cents

Grizz
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 04:39:34 PM »

Yeah I don't think either agency has a clue as to whats going on.  The FWC does not have complete authroity there.  It even says it on there website that the Picayune Strand is a cooperative managed area working with DOF and South Florida Water Management.  The rules that DOF has been passing out the last couple of weeks was even posted on the board at the camp site.  I'm wondering if something pissed those FWC rangers off that evening.  If they were really going to inforce the ATV Ban they would have had several agencies involved the whole weekend warning everyone that came in there like they did in 2002.  They also would have made an annoucement in the paper or the news.  I guess we will find out in the coming weeks if others get kicked out.

TRX_365r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 07:00:21 PM »

If they didnt want anyone out there, they would be enforcing like theres no tomorrow, especially since it is a state wildlife project. But until they post something in the paper saying that no atvs are allowed in that area, I will continue to go and argue with any misconception of the actual laws. If they dont want anyone riding out there, they should have a FWC offcer sitting in a truck right over the bridge at the entrance into the squares. But the fact that they dont indicates that they are not fully enforcing "their own" rules yet. I think they should atleast let us ride the squares and part of the prarie.

365r
03' CRF 450r

A new thumper being adopted soon
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 07:59:02 PM »

Heck, let us ride all of the the squares and all of the prarie.
All they gotta do is stop destroying more of the everglades.  They're gonna take away our riding spot, but somewhere else, they are just going to keep on building houses right into the glades.  If they close down the squares, there's gonna be a whole lot of people roaming around illegal riding areas instead.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 08:00:00 PM »

For some reason, the FWC has a different story every other week.  I was out there two weeks ago, and they said we could ride as long as we had helmets!

Simply put you met up with some a-holes on sh@$ patrol who hate being out there.
Ya see, no ATVs= We can go back to sleep or back to Waffle House.
Jeb Bush needed to be voted out years ago but people just won't get off there sorry asses.

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
bumblemoose

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 10:24:29 PM »

Him and his retard brother.

87 TRX 310R (Sold)with a bunch of stuff on it.
Hiram

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 07:46:54 AM »

Riding at a local Miami spot this weekend when several trucks  pulling RV's and quads pulled in and set up camp. I was amazed that someone would want to camp out there after talking to one in there group they said they planned a weekend of camping and riding at the squares but got sent home and told they where not even allowed to camp out,  Huh. There is something going on at the Squares for sure... :-/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 07:48:56 AM by hiram » Logged

04 White/Red Banshee (mines)
03 Yerf Dog 90cc (son's)
innocent_bystander

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 12:03:12 PM »

We saw a few Rvs and Quads leaving Saturday morning.

Well I have emailed both the Forestry Division and Department of Enviromental Protection (Wildlife) trying to get clarification. Ill let you know what they say.

If you want to email them here is the info:

Forestry:

Florida Division of Forestry
Picayune Strand State Forest
2121 52nd Avenue S
Naples, FL 34117
(239) 348-7557, Fax: (239) 348-7559 or durrwas@doacs.state.fl.us

DEP:

South District: Lisa Douglass 239/332-6975 X175
Counties: Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry, Highlands, Lee & Monroe
Lisa.Douglass@dep.state.fl.us

familyatvers

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 05:42:08 PM »

The last time FWC started warning people about riding in the squares and Badluck, it was numerous calls, E-mails, letters etc. to the Governers office that took the heat off.  This is where the policies are made and can be modified, the local offices just say they are doing what they are told.
Lets make Gov. Bush understand our situation including the
differences between FWC and Forestrys positions and promises
for a riding area, and see if pressure from the top down will either let us have our access back or make it very clear the current administration doesn't care if they stand by their promises.
ONEslowEXer

Leader of the back

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 08:29:36 PM »

I think there bluffing trying to send you packing... I got a friend who is a wildlife officer .. He said you can't be told to leave just yet.. Unless your breaking the rules! You were heading back to the T right? were you on the road? He said until the deal goes though with foresty they can't make you leave. He also said ,  its just a matter of time , and they  will be able to go as far as impounding your bikes. the 2500 acres we are suppossed to get is part of there deal so until we get that it is still open just what I was told

04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift
500runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2004, 10:33:09 PM »

it seems that all the $$$$$ that  FL has made from the ATV title fund, has help speed up the closing of the rideing areas. i saw right thur this B.S  2 yrs ago.  the state of P.A did the same thing took $$$ to open ATV parks. had everone title there ATVS open 3 areas and in a year closed 2 of them to make them into a mountian bike area only.  stop wasting your $$$ by titleing your atvs, were just going to have to ride on pay area like ICROSS  were you dont need all the red tape B.S !  STOP giving JEB BUSH your$$$  to give to FWC to throw you out of riding areas!!!!!
Kevsmerc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2004, 10:50:35 PM »

Hi all where is Badluck at im near Tampa Fl
bumblemoose

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 12:10:17 AM »

500runner is absolutly right, I've been saving the same thing about what a scam this atv titling thing was.

87 TRX 310R (Sold)with a bunch of stuff on it.
seaviper

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2004, 06:37:42 AM »

Well I guess I'll find out if they are closing it cause I'm goin out there on Thursday. Anyone want to join us? We'll have two Polaris Sportsmen..a blue one and a green one.

PM me and we'll set up a spot to meet at.  I have never been out there.

As far as where its at, I highly recommend the Florida Atlas by Delorme. It's got topos of florida showing the WMA's.

The directions I got were exit Alligator Alley north on 29, turn left at gas station, turn left onto Everglades, then go south of 595. That's about all I know.

Polaris 700 Twin, Warn 3000lb winch, Lowrance iFinder Hunt GPS,Continental double ATV trailer
bbf
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 08:53:45 AM »

take 75 to rt 29 n about 10 miles i think it rt 858 there a citgo on the right you make a left to everyglades blvd then a left for 20  miles at the last stop sign and your there
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com