Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps the biggest waste of time, money and resources ever.  (Read 19702 times)
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2007, 10:24:56 AM »

First off, this is not a bash each other, or bash the government thread. Please respond though. Your thoughts are very important & perhaps even critical to our riding choices in the future.

I am going to be taking the responses to our State and Federal Agencies and trying to plead our case, so please bear that in mind. There are no wrong or right answers here, the only wrong thing is to ignore this thread, or not bother to respond with your viewpoint & then complain later.

Let me start by saying, either I am completely wrong or they (our government agencies) are totally misguided in what they think an ATV rider is.

I have talked to a number of representatives from most of the agencies involved in OHV use in the State, personally, on the phone or by e-mail.  They seem like the are very committed to opening up trails for us throughout the State, there are new areas in various stages all over Florida that will be opening in the future, the ultimate goal is for any resident of the State to be able to drive for less than 2 hours & enjoy a great trail system.

This all sounds good, so what is the problem?

I refer you back to my original statement regarding the type of riders they think own ATVs. If any of you have watched the training video's or manufacturers commercials etc., you see a nice family enjoying a nice day on their correctly sized ATVs waving at the oncoming family riding their horses down the same trail. That is who they think makes up the majority of ATV riders.

I don't doubt this class of riders exist, I just don't know any. The guys I ride with (which equal hundreds of riders) are all very different from this group.

My feelings are, they are the minority. If that is true, the government agencies are going to sink millions of dollars, thousands of acres & untold man hours into building miles and miles of trail systems that are just going to be totally incompatible with the vast majority of participants of our sport.

I hate to generalize, but for the purpose of this thread, let's try and see exactly what we looking for in a trail system. In my opinion, there are three main groups of ATV riders;

1: The Sport Rider, ride at a fast pace, jump over any little obstacle, fly round corners. Happiest riding on one way trails.

2: Utility Riders, enjoy challenges, like mud or water.  Most happy with their quad buried up to the snorkel in a mud pit or stream.  Consider the trail as a means to get from one challenge to the next. Like to create own trails.

3: Slow trail rider. Enjoy driving around our forests and rural areas. Slower pace. Stick to the pre made trails.

What are you?

Please post, there are no right and wrong answers.  If I am right and the numbers 1 & 2 of the above are the majority, perhaps it is not to late to get some riding areas that WE can use.
Bigscrb15
Supreme Member

I'm a Florida Mud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:04 AM »

I am number 1&2, I have a utility and love challenging rides, but also like to ride fast on the trails(one-way) I think you are right that the trails will not be compatible with most users and they do have the wrong image of ATV'ers.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
renmus
Supreme Member

I am a Florida Mudrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:53 AM »

Pretty much a #3 with the tiniest bit of #2 thrown in.
MuddFreak77
Supreme Member

I found out who my friends are

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:18 AM »

Normally 1&2 but 3 at times Wink
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:45:48 PM by Da_Mtg_Man » Logged

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »

I would be in number 2 or 3. I like the trails especially as a family but love challenges along the way also. Trailways would be a great start to show that we can be responsible. Maybe then they will give us other challenges along the way. Right now I would take anything.

PS. I also think that they could limerock a stretch beside the trailways that are made on old railroad tracks that are made for walking and let us ride on them with laws and speed limits. Write tickets to anyone not abiding by the laws.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 10:48:17 AM by yunt2ride » Logged

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Loven It
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »

1 when we don't have the kids with us &

3 when its the family. 

99 Honda 400ex
01 Polaris Trailblazer
06 Honda 90cc
05 Kazuma 50cc

https://www.nationalmssociety.org//FLC/personal/default.asp?pa=52649935&pd=FLC0EMS120060429WWT
tallyt

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:51:04 AM »

my family is a #2 with some #3 thrown in every now and then
HondaATC

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:09 AM »

Almost exclusively #1...

1996 Laeger TRX250R
1985 CR500 powered ATC250R
1986 ATC250R
hondarider450r

honda trx450r

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 10:52:53 AM »

for me number 1 cause i have a sports quad but i also put my self in number 2 cause i like getting dirty in mud and like a challange

'07 HONDA TRX450ER
backinsaddle

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »

mostly 1, but there are plenty of times with the family #3.  different levels of #1 would be great...novice to expert/technical. 
papahouse

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 11:14:13 AM »

My family personally fits all categories. What is at issue for us is that there are MX tracks within the 2 hours and we can always go to the mud bog events at various locations but there are not many good trail systems within this state. If you look at other states such as Tennessee, West Virginia and others there are extensive trail systems. Such Trail systems should include viewing nature and our states beauty and include some challenges along the way such as water or mud crossings, hills (where they can be found) and turns.
budman
Supreme Member

No, I'm not depressed...I'm just guarding my beer!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

Mostly the family is #2. But I have been known to be a "snail" while riding in a nice scenic area, ONF, RR, ....

www.rratv.net

2005 F-150 4x4 (with NO mud on it)
2004 ATV trailer, 6' x 12'
34Qt Coleman cooler,
Case of Budweiser, "King Of Beers"
Several bungees.
00 Rancher 2x4 (mine)
05 Foreman 4x4 (not mine)
06 Recon (not mine)
qt314nfla

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:52 PM »

I ride a 2 but don't prefer riding like the 2's listed.  I'm generally  riding my 2 like the 1's or as close as I can. 
dreth

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 01:20:15 PM »

My family is a #1 & #2 11 1/2 months out of the year. I love 1 way trails for my safety and other riders. Give us a place to do what we like and we will be there Wink
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

Oh #2 ATW.  We like to trail ride too, but like a trail ride w/some challenge, to ride down some man made trail system wouldn't be all that great, unless it lead to something a bit challeging. 

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Kaw3604x4 Princess

www.promiseacres.com

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »

We are #2 and #3

Live your life in such a way that when your feet
hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders &
says...

`Oh sh*t....she's awake!!`
VForcedave
Supreme Member

V TWIN FOR THE WIN.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 01:36:08 PM »

We are all the above one, two and three for me.

2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.
mud.junkie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »

hmm my name is mud.junkie i wonder which # i should pick lol.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:44:37 PM by Da_Mtg_Man » Logged
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 01:54:03 PM »

#1 here. I can live without one way trails.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »

My family is a #1 & #2 11 1/2 months out of the year. I love 1 way trails for my safety and other riders. Give us a place to do what we like and we will be there Wink

1 & 2 HERE ALSO
Inyourdraft2000

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »

I love the trails (#1). It would be awesome to have a trail system where we can open it up and not worry about any head on collisions. ONE WAY trails are definately a must. They have several lanes on highway systems(Fast lane/passing lane/slow lane)all headed in the same direction.
Not saying we need 3 and 4 lane trails but pointing out the theory. Our trail system needs to cater to our needs and not what someone sitting in an office who has never ridden decides whats best for us......Perform a survey of the 180,ooo registered bikes in florida and then move forward with the popular concensus. Imagine if all 180,000 registeries were on the same page come voting time for or State officials, you think they would see things our way for a change. Wink

cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »

Hey just a suggestion, but how about a poll.....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »

Hey just a suggestion, but how about a poll.....
I was going to submit the comments to the state, it would mean more than just numbers anyone could have made up. I was hoping that we would have some constructive comments too.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 02:46:30 PM by Da_Mtg_Man » Logged
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »

What they should do is have that question on the form when you go to register it and then see what each community has the most of and consider atv parks to each areas riding type. More people would probably register their quads also just to have their vote counted.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Inyourdraft2000

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »

There are 6007 members on this forumn, not all active but I bet at least half are. No reason why this thread should not yield 40+ pages of lagitament comments for Paul to submit to these people.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com