Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Cypress Concerns  (Read 24843 times)
Anoriginal

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »

We're getting off point. The issue isn't "who's ruts are bigger". The issue is "who has a problem following rules?" for the most part, the land in the everglades heals itself over time very well. It doesn't matter how big the ruts are. After the 60 day closure in the late spring, the place looks totally rejuvenated. Granted, the big ruts are still there, but in time, they fill in and grow over as well.

Our concern needs to be on improving our image to the people in charge of keeping places like Big Cypress open to ATV's. The recent post about "the gene pool" shining throuigh at the squares rally is a great example. If we do not shed this sterotype, we're all going to suffer. There is a distinct  difference between the buggy owners and ATV rider's attitudes regarding the Big Cypress. I've seen it first hand and it is unfortunate but true. I'd hate to see us lose this place too.
RnkOutlaw

Git R Done

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2005, 11:01:25 AM »

Well if you are a camp owner out there they can NOT denie you access to your camp as long as your name is own the deed. You have to have proof of ownership.

Honda 04 Es, 27x12(back) 27x9.5(front) Outlaws,Clutch Kit, Jetted, FMF Exhaust, Lifted, Lift Springs, Warn 3000, Snorkeled
Anoriginal

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2005, 07:34:09 AM »

Rnk -

Yes and no. Technically they do not have to give you access. In the Evergaldes, everyone buys property knowing that it isessentially land locked. In fact, no title insurance company will insure Everglades property without and access exception. Luckily, the park service allows property owners access to their camps at all times, even during the closed season in late spring. However, at this time, you are restricted to driving to and from you camp along a specified route and cannot "ride around" for pleasure otherwise.

Hope that helps.
jupitersteve

Welcome to the Big Cypress Swamp

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2005, 12:18:01 PM »

Hello everyone! I'm new to your forum, so give me a break if I step on anyone's toes. I have been going into the Big Cypress Swamp for over 30 years, and don't want to lose the right to do that. The NPS has a ORV plan that is being implemented over 10 years. (Subject to pending lawsuits). I believe that it has to be fully implimented by 2012. That plan is going to put all of us, both Buggys and ATVs on about 300 miles of designated trails. Some of those trails will be substainable and other parts of it will be non-maintained. In the mean while, we are allowed disbursed use of the Big Cypress, in some sections, after traveling in one mile from the trail heads.

We will be allowed disbursed use, as long as we are not doing non-repairable damage to the Preserve. That is until 2012.
I guess my point is, the Big Cypress National Preserve is not a place for Muddin, it is a place to ride and enjoy nature. Its a place to act responsibly and travel lightly on the ground. This is true of both Buggys and ATV,s. Its unfortunate that more and more property is being removed from allowing ATVs. The way to keep the Big Cypress Swamp from becoming one of those areas, is to follow the rules. The park rangers that I have met, are nice people, but their job is to enforce the rules and they will do that at every opportunity. They don't give breaks.

So, Welcome to the Big Cypress and enjoy it, but please also respect it and the rules.

http://www.bigcypressswamp.com

JupiterSteve

Jupiter Steve
Super Dave

THE GRASS IS ALLWAYS GREEN ON MY SIDE!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2005, 05:05:52 PM »

Jupitersteve that is a great site Grin it's nice to see some one that nose what is really going on ::)it's on my favorites. O welcome to another great site.

02' ex 400 stock kinda it looks stock
meathead1

NO GUTS NO GLORY

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 05:19:27 PM »

well put

ARCTIC 650
450 FOREMAN
500 quad runner
big-daddy
Defender of the secret society!
Supreme Member

Home of the Brave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2005, 05:38:31 PM »

nice site and welcome

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member
Robert4570

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2005, 05:42:22 PM »

Hell everybody,
With regards to those who have never ridden in the Big Cypress I'd like to echo Steve's sentiment on this topic. We simply should not ride in the same manner as you would at your local mud hole. In the cypress trail conditions are monitored and any excessive wear on one could lead to a closure , something the Park Service won't hesitate in
doing.  

The Picayune  closure is a big loss to us , we had a free  run of the place out there and now under the umbrella  of Everglades Restoration we are loosing access to these public lands. Who knows what the final outcome will be with the Picayune /Bad Luck Prairie issue.

Enjoy the cypress and  lets make sure we don't give any agency a reason to ban us from an area. Grin
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 09:15:05 PM by Robert4570 » Logged
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »

cool site
RnkOutlaw

Git R Done

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 09:43:26 AM »

I also heard that this year they are going to make you register your bike with the State if you want to get a big cypress sticker.

Honda 04 Es, 27x12(back) 27x9.5(front) Outlaws,Clutch Kit, Jetted, FMF Exhaust, Lifted, Lift Springs, Warn 3000, Snorkeled
jupitersteve

Welcome to the Big Cypress Swamp

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 10:51:26 AM »

The "Florida Off Highway Vehicle Titling Act" Chapter 317 Florida Statues was passed in 2002 on behalf of motorized trail users. The offical purpose is to title off highway vehicles (ATVs) that are sold in Florida and operated on public lands managed by federal, state, county or municiple governments.
The real purpose is to collect money.

Its the state that made the requirement, the NPS is only following it. The purpose was to collect money that can be given back to the government agencies for use in trail improvements. (More places to ride, not a bad thing). The Big Cypress operates more ATV (off road) trails then almost any other government agency in Florida, therefore the are in good position to get grant money for Trail improvements.

The NPS in the Big Cypress is applying for grants to get money for trail head improvements, such as parking areas for ATVs (ORVs). They are considering trying to get funds for radios positioned along the trails, for emergency use. So it is not totally a bad thing. Yep! state law is, they have to require you to produce a proof of title to get a Big Cypress Sticker for a ATV, the same requirement is on any government agency that allows you to ride on their land. Titles can be obtained from the County Tax collector in your county, if your ATV is not titled. New ATVs should come titled from the dealer. The money for titles goes to trail improvement.

www.BigCypressSwamp.com

JupiterSteve

Jupiter Steve
sk8r_dude
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 12:51:12 PM »

Great site Steve, I also have spent some time at BC and every trip seems to be an adventure. You provide a lot of information about this very special place. Welcome to the site.

05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

http://www.beachinlineskates.com/
http://www.123skate.com/
http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/
http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com
RnkOutlaw

Git R Done

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 07:10:34 PM »

Its also a way for the State to get more money

bigmurph30540

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:24 AM »

It's been a few years but, I was in the Cypress during spring and saw a few DNR people on 4 wheeler. They had one of our local female Miami Herald reporters with them. This was just before Spring Turkey season. All involved in the party had a great time doing donuts tearing up the land and riding much faster than the 15mph they were suppose to be doing. A week later I saw an article posted by the reporter on how the hunters were basically pouchers and destroying the perserve. Boy thats the pot calling the kettle black. Just a note one of the DNR guys was a long time game warden to the area and now a Lt. So come on people if your going to enforce the law and write about it lets a least obey them first!!
bigmurph30540

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 11:58:37 AM »

It's been a few years but, I was in the Cypress during spring and saw a few DNR people on 4 wheeler. They had one of our local female Miami Herald reporters with them. This was just before Spring Turkey season. All involved in the party had a great time doing donuts tearing up the land and riding much faster than the 15mph they were suppose to be doing. A week later I saw an article posted by the reporter on how the hunters were basically pouchers and destroying the perserve. Boy thats the pot calling the kettle black. Just a note one of the DNR guys was a long time game warden to the area and now a Lt. So come on people if your going to enforce the law and write about it lets a least obey them first!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com