Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: swamp buggy owner hit with a $44,000 bill for starting brush fire with buggy  (Read 6988 times)
lswjth2
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:28:59 AM »

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/93664.html
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »

The newspaper is obviousley a bunch of illiterates. "car fixer"Huh, how about "car repairman", "automotive technician" , "auto repair business owner". I cant beleive the editor allowed the term "fixer" to be on his headline.
Joedirt
Supreme Member

I am a FloridaMud Rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:39:22 AM »

I am surprised the Ignoramus that wrote this article...did not find a way to say an ATV started the fire on the Buggy. TskTsk

2005 Vinson 4x4
2003 Big Bear 4x4
2001 Prarie 4x4
1987 Dirty Dakota Mud truck on 35 inch Boggers
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:56:41 AM »

I am surprised the Ignoramus that wrote this article...did not find a way to say an ATV started the fire on the Buggy. TskTsk

LMFAO!!! HAHAHAhahahaahHAHAHAHHAAH

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »

A friend of ours knows the guy that owns the buggy.  We were talking about this a few days ago, now I don't know whole story, but for whatever reason, there was a game wardon on the buggy with them, at least this is what I was told.  They were going out to check on some camps or something to that nature.  Also, told that and this was right after it happen, that if they fined him, it would be the end of him financially.  

You know something is seriously wrong with our justice system, and our State.  Let's see you shot some pour soul in the head, and you only get what 3 years, and they now want to let him out early.  But an accidental fire, without malice, without intent, and they want you to $44,000.  Heck you kow what, if somebody actually intentional set that fire, they even wouldn't get fined that much.  Please, gets me ticked  Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head  

All this is....trying to make people stop going out to the glades, scaring them so bad that they won't even ride out there.  I mean think about it, this means everytime you ride out there, you take a risk of losing everything that you worked so hard for....  

Like I have said before, lets put some of the blame on Water Mgmt, come on, they are the ones that drained out the Lake, and pumped al into the ocean.  That's the truth, that's more liable than a poor guy out there riding his buggy..... Bang Head Bang Head

This should really piss everyone off, cause it is soley directed at keeping people out of the Holey Lands...  They can call what they want, but please......

To me, all the different associations (like airboats, buggies, atvs), should hold a rally for this guy.  The money should NOT go towards paying the State back either, it should go to hiring some serious lawyers to fight the State.  

This is bull!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:18:44 AM by cheropride » Logged

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:20:41 AM »

I agree that all the clubs down there may want to hold a rally/fundraiser to help the guy if all this is true. Why were they "checking on some camps"? Dont even try to fight the state, most lawyers wont even hear a case against the state. It is a no win situation. The state will use taxpayer money to defend it to the millions & we pay for it & the guy will still lose. If you know him well why dont you have him contact the clubs & organizations & try to get something going down there.
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »

Like I said, I don't know the whole story, but the weren't checking on camps in bad way.  I'll talk to my friend (if you all remember Vicki who told you all about w/her fight w/cancer - it's her husband that knows the owner of the buggy).  If anyone interested I will get the whole story....  The guy that owns the buggy is from what told, a really nice guy.....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:38:58 AM »

Like I said, I don't know the whole story, but the weren't checking on camps in bad way.  I'll talk to my friend (if you all remember Vicki who told you all about w/her fight w/cancer - it's her husband that knows the owner of the buggy).  If anyone interested I will get the whole story....  The guy that owns the buggy is from what told, a really nice guy.....

We all know what happens to people who 'check cabins' in the Holeylands here on ATVFLORIDA Cheropride. Wink

For the record, this is total BS. The thing needed to burn anyway. They should pay the guy for doing their work.

$44,000 does seem cheap for all I saw going on out there...at least they cut him a deal. That helicopter and bucket rig must cost big $$ to run..

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:42:58 AM by JackL » Logged

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:50:00 AM »

if they were checking on camps,,,,what were they checking for, and if there WAS a game wardon with him,,,,wouldn't that be considered official business if it was something they were checking in the course and scope of federal business?

just speculation, but questions need to be raised if this was the case.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 11:11:57 AM »

if they were checking on camps,,,,what were they checking for, and if there WAS a game wardon with him,,,,wouldn't that be considered official business if it was something they were checking in the course and scope of federal business?

Id@

Yea, it's really weird about the game wardon being with him.  Like I said, need to find out more about what they were actually doing.  I just remembering Ernie (the friend) saying "man it's total b/s, there was even a frigging game wardon on the buggie w/him"...  and then he went on to say about how they guy was freakin out w/facing the fine deal....  I was like yea... I would be too.  When Ernie gets home tonight I will get some more details, also ask and/or suggest that some of area associations try and do something.  I know few of the people involved w/airboat association, see if they have heard anything..... My take from the conversation w/Ernie it wasn't like they were just out there joy riding, but I really don't recall the specifics, but again, this is second hand information - so I will see if I can get the whole story if anyone interested....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2007, 11:26:54 AM »

I am interested for sure.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Kawa3
Supreme Member

Straight Up

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »

I am interested for sure.

Id@

Kawa3

2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 11:59:34 AM »

Id@

Yea, it's really weird about the game wardon being with him.  Like I said, need to find out more about what they were actually doing.  I just remembering Ernie (the friend) saying "man it's total b/s, there was even a frigging game wardon on the buggie w/him"...  and then he went on to say about how they guy was freakin out w/facing the fine deal....  I was like yea... I would be too.  When Ernie gets home tonight I will get some more details, also ask and/or suggest that some of area associations try and do something.  I know few of the people involved w/airboat association, see if they have heard anything..... My take from the conversation w/Ernie it wasn't like they were just out there joy riding, but I really don't recall the specifics, but again, this is second hand information - so I will see if I can get the whole story if anyone interested....

Please keep us updated. I have better things to do with $44,000 after a ride...really sucks.

cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »

I sure will, Ernie lives near my home, and when he gets home from work, I will talk to him directly. I want to make sure that we all have the exact events that took place.  Ernie and I had this conversation the weekend before last, I specifically recall the issue w/the Game Warden, I just don't recall the entire conversation.  I will talk to him this evening, and will let you all know what I find.  Perhaps too, Ernie has spoken w/the buggie owner since this time, and we can even find out more....

Will keep you all posted....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »

Okay just got back from Ernies, and from what he told me is...

They where out there, they knew the game warden, and the game warden either had some people or knew them, asked the guy if they could ride out with him.  They weren't checking camps or anything, just wanted to ride out there.  The game warden knew the guy that owns the buggy, so thats why he went with him.  Evidently they stopped and went to start the buggy back up, and it started an electical fire on the buggy.  They got the fire out on the buggy, but with it being so dry, well we know the rest.... 

The owner of the buggy was told that he could also served time, but he ONLY has to pay restitution.  Like Ernie said, it's just a big media thing, cause anyone knows damn well he can't afford to pay that kind of money. 

Apparently this guy comes around here alot, and I am sure that I will here more, and I will let you know.  He goes to my husband's friend shop alot, and I will see if my husband can find our more information. 

Well that's about what I was told....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
cheropride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 07:12:49 PM »

Hubby home, spoke with him, he knows the buggy owner too, he said yea it's a bunch of b/s.  Apparently the game warden and him are good friends, and that's why the game warden was on the buggy.  And it was just an electrical issue with the buggy.  I will let you all know if anything else developes....

Kawi-360 4WD/Camo
Honda 400
Polaris Ranger 700XP
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »

When an automobile has an "electrical issue" which forces the fire department to extinguish the fire and the police to manage the traffic jam, etc., does the automobile owner get fined to pay that bill? If the answer is yes and his insurance company pays the bill then how can we OHVers think we get a free ticket to thrust the bill onto taxpayers? Was it an electrical issue or was there no flame arrestor on that buggy? Regardless, we should support the buggy operator that the fine is excessive and support any rally or fund-raiser to help him pay the fine.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:39:19 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
2strokinIt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »

what does...."checking camps"mean?!?!
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 11:10:56 PM »

I think everyone should get involved with this.It has a lot to do with our sport having a bad name.Are you saying that if I happen to crash and my quad starts a fire, I'm gonna lose everything because of an accident?That is total BS!!
   There screwing him and we should fight this too.And, if the game warden asked him to go out there, then he shouldn't be held accountable for helping out a government official.Would they of sued the game warden if it was his vehicle that started the fire? Of course not!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:27:26 PM by ScratchupBangupBoy » Logged
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 08:31:24 AM »

what does...."checking camps"mean?!?!

LOL, out there it means riding on the trails, because you can't miss them when you do.

lswjth2
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 09:00:05 AM »

Here's the Dept of Forestry e-mail address, let yourself be heard!!!!

Email: dof_support@doacs.state.fl.us
lswjth2
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 09:11:49 AM »

Here's my e-mail to DOF

Dear Sir/Madam

Yesterday I read an article in the Miami Herald where it talks about a swamp buggy operator fined $44,000 dollars for an "accidental"fire out in the Holey lands area. I find this as nothing more than a concerted effort on behalf of the state into intimadating people to stay out of public lands, lands that we as tax payers paid for and continue to pay for their upkeep. What happens if this persons vehicle caught fire on 1-95? I dont think the state would be sending him a bill would they? Again nothing more than discrmination against the "historic culture" of the Gladesman.

Let's then think about this, is the swamp buggy owner entitled to his tax money back when there are no fires being fought? I mean all those people are getting paid to sit around for something to happen. Accidents do happen, and this seems to be one of them.I ask that you please reconsider this fine as this will financially ruin this individual, and at the end of the day, the land will still be there.

JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »

Here's the Dept of Forestry e-mail address, let yourself be heard!!!!

Email: dof_support@doacs.state.fl.us

You are the man. My version of your letter is on the way as well.

lswjth2
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 09:42:59 AM »

Thxs, we need EVERYONE to e-mail them.......C'mon folks, help out this person in need, this could be any of us one day.Do good, if not evil will prevail....
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 09:59:44 AM »

Thxs, we need EVERYONE to e-mail them.......C'mon folks, help out this person in need, this could be any of us one day.Do good, if not evil will prevail....

When I get back from riding the EXACT spot where the fire occurred today, I am actually going to pen/paper another one and send it via USPS.

The pictures of how fire helps the swamp will also be posted.

I think I'll carry a fire extinguisher from now on though..Smiley

As lswjth2 so elegantly stated, this COULD be ANY of US one day. Remember who actually paid that firefighting bill people. I know I would rather have had the tax money in my pocket....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com