Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OKEECHOBEE PRAIRIE  (Read 57452 times)
BigDog

Big Dogs do it BEST!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »

It was reported at yesterdays Okeechobee County Commission meeting that there have been discussions with the Sheriff about taming what residents are referring to as "The Wild, Wild West", a.k.a. Viking Properties or as we refer to it, the Okeechobee Prairie.  

To quote County Commissioner Gene Woods, "Sheriff May has made it a priority to get a handle on the off road vehicles, shooting and general lawlessness that has plagued the area for some time now. Apparently, there has been quite a bit of destruction to private and Coquina District property and the residents want it to stop. In my opinion, this is long past due."

This sounds like it could be the beginning of the end of a great place to ride.  I think our only chance is to help promote safe, responsible recreational riding out there, particularly focusing on respecting the property owners.  Just my opinion, but I really enjoy the place and would hate to lose it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 06:49:29 AM by BigDog » Logged

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg

I am a Florida Mud Rider........and PROUD of it!!
DaKota

Git R' Done

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 06:44:19 AM »

Well here we go again. This is never ending. Some day will have no place to ride until then I shall ride hard.
Anoriginal

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:36:18 AM »

Looks like the start of another victory for the shallow end of the gene pool.
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

It would really suck to lose such a great place.  Cry Cry Cry Angry

It is true, my friend has property there and will not even leave his lawnmower at his property. He says that things are vandalized and stolen. I was very surprised to hear that because it is a secure shed that he had his stuff in.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 04:56:11 PM by customrubicon » Logged

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
dreth

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 05:21:25 AM »

we new it was gonna happen. all the riding on the roads and litter every where, not to mention the fact that the developing is increasing at a fast pace.  Huh Embarrassed Cry
RL400
Supreme Member

Keep the rubber side down.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 10:09:19 AM »

we new it was gonna happen. all the riding on the roads and litter every where, not to mention the fact that the developing is increasing at a fast pace.  Huh Embarrassed Cry

last time i was there, my dad and i were riding beside the main road on the dirt.  2 florida fish and game trucks passed us, immediatly after they passed us about 10 quads (maybe more) pulled on the road and passed us from behind.

you would think after passing those 2 cops they wouldnt do something stupid.  buuut they did.

thanks to stupid idiots like them we're losing an awesome place to ride.
500runner

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:00:25 PM »

you need to buy land to ride there! the big ? is where are the ATV parks ? the state has been taking are $$$$ from title fees for a ATVriding.  THE BIG FL TITLE RIP OFF SCAM!!!! need to get a lawer invole in a classaction suite!!!! Angry
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 08:22:35 AM »

Strike one up for the Riff-Raff..It's always the good-guys that take a beating.

I know that both my son and I have been there as guests of someone that owns land there and we love the place...I've noticed that lately many riders are abusing the place and riding on the roads and breaking bottles, etc...

They deserve to be ticketed and have their bikes confiscated.

I'm angry that we will lose another place to ride..

Tvman  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 08:31:53 AM by tvman » Logged
FORDFANZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 12:33:06 PM »

Just  Another  Ride  area that  will  be  Gone   But  thats  the  way    it  always  goes  a  few   A holes  ruin  it  for  everyone !!!!

I NEED MUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 05:53:35 PM »

Anymore info. ? Are they still turning people away ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
swampfrog67

SPORTQUAD RIDER. 350 YAMAHA WARRIOR.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 06:18:41 PM »

HELLO ALL.
IT HAS BEEN A RUMOR HERE IN WEST PALM THAT AN ACCIDENT OCCURED IN THE PRARIE RIDING AREA AND THE CITY OF OKEECHOBEE WAS STUCK WITH THE TRAUMA HAWK BILL.  DOES THIS HOLD WATER...Huh   I HAVE BEEN IN EMAIL CONTACT WITH THE LOCAL PAPER IN THE AREA AND HAVE YET TO HEAR ANY INFO.  I LOVE THIS RIDING AREA AND HAVE MANY GOOD MEMORIES RIDNG WITH MY BUDDS OUT HERE.  HOPE THIS GOES AWAY, BUT I HAVE HEARD NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THE NEW LAW IN TOWN.  
SWAMPFROG67@AOL.COM
JORGE

JORGE
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 11:50:12 AM »

Yes this is true..... Angry
on January 2nd someone got hurt along the canal that Coquina Water Control District is diging, and they had to be air-lifted out.  So guess what?  The are SUING!   [smiley=Angry.gif] [smiley=Angry.gif] [smiley=Angry.gif]
So all of the land is POSTED now and patrolled, unless you live or own property there you will be turned around.  You WILL be ticketed for parking anywhere unless it's on YOUR land.

BigDog

Big Dogs do it BEST!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 12:03:52 PM »

kawGIRL, as a property owner out there do you know if they are still going to let you ride around or will you be confined to your own property?

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg

I am a Florida Mud Rider........and PROUD of it!!
dreth

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 08:14:17 PM »

kawGIRL, as a property owner out there do you know if they are still going to let you ride around or will you be confined to your own property?

kawgirl please check your pm before answering this
swampfrog67

SPORTQUAD RIDER. 350 YAMAHA WARRIOR.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 06:13:39 AM »

kawGIRL
thanks for the reply and the good info.  why must people be so stupid and sue for their own mistakes.  i would love to know who this dumb ass is that is sueing and give him another reason to go to the hospital.  we all know that riding can be dangerous, but that is part of the game.  why would you want to sue the city or county for having an accident on your quad or bike when you are really trespassing already.  well here we go again... one a@# hole screws up everyones fun.
swampfrog67@aol.com

JORGE
500runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 04:52:38 PM »

you have to blame the ATV rider!! and the lawers that are killing the USA. if you ride a ATV . make sure you have a good medical insureance  policy!!  what happens is the MEDS bills are so high.$$$$$$$$$  the LAWERS step in and sue to get the bills payed. and we all suffer Angry
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »

Kawgirl

Hope all is well..

Read your posts about the Prairie..It's a shame.

Hope we can ride together again with RL and the boys and Jeff and yourself...

tvman and mxmike
JMAN4807

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2005, 08:17:48 PM »

So I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to go out there this weekend? Did the Sherriff say that you cant ride out there unless you have property? I was out there two weekends ago and he gave us a piece of paper w/ the different statutes on it that were being violated, and he told us that we couldn't park anywhere and leave our vehicle or they would tag it abandoned. We just said ok and kept on going and went back and parked in the woods and rode all day. Do you think we could still do that or is the sheriff right there at the turn telling people that unless they own property then they can't stop and ride.

03 HONDA 400EX
01 F-150 SUPERCAB
Mud Momma

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 10:39:08 AM »

My husband was out there on Sat and was also stopped and given a paper with the statues.  All they told him was they could not ride on or across the main road that they would have to get off the bikes and walk them across.  And that they could not run in the swell next to the main road.  No tickets not warnings.  Good news for once. [smiley=Hug.gif]

Kawasaki Prairie 650
Yamaha Banshee
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 11:00:26 AM »

15 people were arrested last week, all of the Coqunia areas and canals are closed and patrolled.  "No parking" or riding on any roads! Only on "YOUR" Property.

Patriot

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »

Did anyone ride this weekend out at the Okeechobee Prarie?
I was wondering to see if they are still giving us a hard time?
Thanks
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2005, 01:30:30 PM »

YES they are ! It's the new "LAW" from now on!

Patriot

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2005, 11:46:22 AM »

Thanks for the info, it saves me from making a long trip for no reason.

Waveslider330

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

We went out there for new years this last year and had no prob at all. Was out there for 5 days. Saw a few sheriffs and none said anything. But we also showed respect and walked our bikes across the pea-vine and ranch 101 road whenever we would cross, picked up after ourselves, etc. Also whenever we would pass someone who lives out there we would go by slowly and quietly out of repect for the homeowners. Plus we try to stay off the roads and stick to the trails.

But, this last month one of my buddies that owns 20 acres out there said okee sheriff stopped him and hassled him. But since he owns property out there, nothing could be done by the sheriff. About 3 months ago, his place was vandalized(he has a little house out there). They trashed the place and stole stuff and spraypainted everything with obsenities. What a buch of crap!!!
He figures its people that live out there too, and not people visiting out there. Another buddy had his property vandalized recently and also speculated it was locals that did it. I think we need to find where these punks live and pay them a little "visit".
Probably the same group of punk @ss kids!

We usually ride in the NW corner where there are no roads. Unless the cops have atvs or 4x4s they can't get back there.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but man I love to ride this place, and I'm pissed whats going on out there. I really wish there was something we could do.

Steve

2005 Polaris Magnum 330
27in Outlaws
2in HL Lift
Snorkels
Waterproof marine stereo
Wheel spacers
shortcut

Yaba.....Daba.. ....do.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 12:04:36 PM »

With all the new house's out there now, people are starting to put up barbed wire across trails, boards with nails on the trails and any other type of obstacle to hinder riding in the area. We have owned out there for several years, but haven't been out there to ride in over a year. The new locals have taken it upon them selves to erraticate the area of ATV riding. It is truly a ride at you own risk place now.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com