Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation *SAVE BAD LUCK PRAIRIE* (Update)  (Read 28822 times)
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:57:15 AM »

AKA-Picayune Strand Forest, Squares, you know where. The last place to ride ATV's in S.W. Florida.

There is a group of people that are going to meet at the I-75 over- pass on Everglades blvd. on 1/08/05 at 12 noon. Bring something to wright on to get all the info so we can send letter and e-mails to who's in charge. I think the local paper and a news chanel will be there also. So come on everyone lets make a stink again to keep this place open for us.

Im going to the meeting that some one has set up at the Florida Sports Park wednesday at 6pm 1/05/05 to see whats going on and we will be handing flyers out there as well.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 07:41:10 AM by 1fast250r » Logged

Proud to still own one of the badest quads ever built
               The Honda TRX250R
Got rid of the 4 poke and resurrected another dinosaur
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 11:20:25 AM »

here is some info on the area.

http://www.fl-dof.com/districts/caloosahatchee/index.html
Caloosahatchee District Office
Florida Division of Forestry
10941 Palm Beach Blvd.
Ft. Myers, FL 33905
Telephone: 239/690-3500 Suncom: 715-3500 Fax: 239/690-3504
District Manager: Hank Graham, email: grahamh@doacs.state.fl.us
<mailto:grahamh@doacs.state.fl.us>
Administrative Assistant: Bertie Berczik, email:
berczib@doacs.state.fl.us
<mailto:berczib@doacs.state.fl.us>

Picayune Strand State Forest <../../state_forests/Picayune_Strand.htm>
(Collier County)
2121 52nd Avenue S
Naples, FL 34117
Telephone: 239/348-7552
Suncom: 733-7552
FAX:239/348-7559
Senior Forester: Sonya Durrwachter
email: durrwas@doacs.state.fl.us <mailto:durrwas@doacs.state.fl.us>

------------------------------------------------------------------
Lisa M. Douglass
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Ombudsman/Public Relations Manager-South District
Phone:  239-332-6975 Ext 175
Fax:     239-332-6969
email:  lisa.douglass@dep.state.fl.us
http://www.floridadep.org

The Honda TRX250R
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 06:30:57 PM »

Thanks for starting this topic I was going to but you beat me to it Smiley Smiley

I am going to both the rally and the meeting in the sports park I hope to see more people there from this site.

I hope that you people gave money to the fellows doing the buggy. atv wash that money went to a lawer to help defend us......my dad gave 20 bucks

if you didnt im sure they will except money at these two meetings
Deluxe21

It's a family thing.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 09:22:58 PM »

I was wondering if you can still ride there?  I remember reading something about it being closed after Jan. 3rd.  The reason I ask is I'm going to try and get there with my son on Saturday for the rally and was wondering if I should bring my quads?

Steve

2004 Scrambler 500
2001 Scrambler 500
1999 LEM Cayman
2003 Xtreme Pro 100
1958 Airstream toy hauler
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 05:46:36 AM »

Local news said its closed but I havnt been out there yet to see if anyone is inforcing rules. :-/  I would say dont bring the quads if your coming but than again if there is any chance of riding you will be pissed if you dont.... [smiley=Confused.gif]

The Honda TRX250R
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 07:16:17 PM »

1fast, is BADLUCK / SQUARES closed ?  

Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 07:20:30 PM »

Which attorney is representing ?  What ever support you / we need to keep this riding place, my friends and I are willing to help.

450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 07:18:00 AM »

1fast, is BADLUCK / SQUARES closed ?  

As of now yes. Stright from Mike Long (DOF).. Angry DOF says that the Restoration project is not compatible to ORV use. This meeting last night had a lot of people there except the DEP thats incharge of the restoration project. There was a group named  F.O.A. (Florida Outdoor Alliance) that was on the panel of representatives that had lot of great questions that baffeled the People that are closing this place down There is going to be a Meeting at the I-75 overpass on Everglades blvd. at 12 noon Jan 8th. They will be there to represent the people. There will also be A guy there with paper,pens,envelopes and stamps to mail everyones letter to a state representative with a complant. The only thing DOF is proposing is a 640 acre track to try to shut everyone up. Also that will be 1 atv per acre to make is safe. Thats BS!!!  

Everyone that has an ATV that wants to ride in SW Florida should be there Sat. to attend and right a letter.

The Honda TRX250R
TraxterMax

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 06:42:04 PM »

Hey guys,

I just wanted to add some other information to what 1Fast250r spoke about in regards to the meeting this past Wednesday night.  Besides the speakers that were there to represent the different State Departments, we had a panel of leaders who were representing all of us.  Among the leaders, there were two guys that stuck out the most.  One guy who has been fighting for our rights all over the state for the past few years and another guy who represented 15 different ATV Clubs on the East Coast.  

If we think that we are the only people that are suffering, that is Southwest Florida, think again!  Everyone is suffering in South Florida over this dilemma.  At one point in the meeting, the gentleman from the East Coast had told the representatives that if this were not enough people to fight for the cause of keeping open Picayune Strand State Forest (Squares/Bad Luck), then he would bus over hundreds and hundreds of members from the East Coast to support our cause.  And I think that is Kick A**!!!

Now the other guy who was there to represent us (and I strongly believe this) is the one guy who could help us in this fight to save Squares/Bad Luck.  And his name is Jim Kalvin.  Jim has been involved in situations just like this all over the state and has been doing this for quite some time.  If you ever get a chance to meet him, this guy knows the in's and out's of what needs to be accomplished!!!  If you would like to get in contact with Jim, you can reach him at:

Jim Kalvin
Cell:    239-825-3649
Home: 239-775-0746
E-mail: knucklemaster@earthlink.net

Most likely, according to Jim and other representatives who support us, we will be fighting this in court.  Yes, there were a lot of idea's past around, but one guy had mentioned about doing a parade of ORV riders in Southwest Florida to gain attention from the Media and from local and state government.  Even the Sheriff's Department is all for it as they claim.  That would be awesome if we could somehow organize it.

As we already know, there will be a meeting out on Everglades Blvd. and I-75 to allow ORV riders to fight against the closure of Squares/Bad Luck.  If there is any one out there that likes to ride at Squares/Bad Luck, you need to be at this meeting.  It will be big and I am sure that we will probably see anywhere from 200 to 500+ riders out there picketing.  The media will be there and this is a big issue in Collier County.

And for a last note...May the force be with us!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 06:44:58 PM by TraxterMax » Logged
TraxterMax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 06:53:24 PM »

One other thing that I would like to add...

According to the Florida Outdoor Alliance (F.O.A.), there is a web site being created that will provide us with all of the information that we need in regards to Squares/Bad Luck.  According to their representative, this web site should be completed within the next 7 to 10 days.  Listed below is the name of the site:

www.savebadluck.com

Check it out when it becomes available!
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 05:52:46 AM »

Everone needs to B there if you can to help support.. Wink

The Honda TRX250R
TraxterMax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 12:34:50 PM »

I just got back from the Squares/Bad Luck Rally that was being held on Everglades Blvd. just South of I-75.  We had a great turn out with as much as 200 riders picketing with signs.  The people that hosted the rally were passing out flyers with contact information along with paper and pens (to create letters).  As for the media, only a reporter showed up from the Naples Daily Newspaper.

This was definitely a great start, but we still have a lot of work ahead of us.  If we want to make ourselves known in South Florida, we need to organize a parade of vehicles and trailers and head out to our local government offices and courthouses.  The people of our communities need to hear our story and we need to show our politicians that we are pissed off with their actions.  Just remember, for every letter and/or e-mail message that we send to their offices, it counts for 10 votes (example: 10 Letters = 100 Votes).

Let's get out there and swamp these politicians and get in their face.  Listed below are the contacts that you need to send letters and e-mails to:

Governor Jeb Bush
PL 05 The Capitol
400 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399
jeb.bush@myflorida.com
(850) 488-4441

Senator Mel Martinez
Russell Senate Office Bldg., Suite C.2
Washington, DC 20510
mel_martinez@martinez.senate.gov
(202) 224-3041

Senator Bill Nelson
716 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, DC 20510
bill_nelson@nelson.senate.gov
(202) 224-5274

Director of the Florida Division of Forestry
Michael C. Long
3125 Conner Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
longm@doacs.state.fl.us
(850) 488-4272

Florida Division of Forestry
Hank Graham, District Manager
Caloosahatchee District Office
10941 Palm Beach Blvd.
Fort Myers, FL 33905
grahamh@doacs.state.fl.us
(239) 690-3500

Lisa M. Douglass
Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Ombudsman/Public Relations Manager - South District
lisa.douglass@dep.state.fl.us
(239) 332-6975 Ext. 175

That is everybody that we should be getting in contact with especially with the D.E.P.!!!  Good luck and keep writing!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:36:24 PM by TraxterMax » Logged
z400stunter

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 01:17:03 PM »

So what is next for us to do.  I knew nothing of the rally and just found this site.  I have been riding on the prarie for years now and just got a new bike.  I just saw a bunch of trucks going down 951 on my way home, looked like they were headed to the sports park?  I will be at the next meeting or whatever goes on to make sure we have a good place to ride.

JUMP IT!
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 07:38:46 AM »

This was in the Naples News today

ATV riders may be allowed to return to Picayune Strand
By DIANNA SMITH, dlsmith@naplesnews.com
February 5, 2005

The battle for land in Southern Golden Gate Estates continues, but state Rep. Mike Davis believes he can help end it.

Davis, R-Naples, and state Rep. David Rivera, R-Miami, have spent the past several months trying to create an agreement that would allow recreational riders in South Florida back into the Picayune Strand State Forest.

One has finally been reached between the state Division of Forestry and the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) that would allow riders to return to the Picayune by mid-summer, Davis said.

They would have 1,500 to 3,000 acres, but would have to follow trail guidelines as well as guidelines for camping.

Davis said riders would have to pay $50 for a sticker that would allow them access to the trails. That sticker could also be used to get into Croom, another area for recreational riders in Hernando County in westcentral Florida.

"This will be compatible with the Everglades restoration effort," Davis said. "We're not going to have people going around in circles and tearing things up. This will be for off-road vehicles on what will be established trails."

The Picayune in eastern Collier County has been off-limits to recreational riders since the beginning of the year, when the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission moved the expiration date for permits to ride from June to January.

After several years, the state finally bought the land the riders call their playground because agencies want to restore the area and protect endangered species such as panthers. Officials have said recreational riders will hinder the restoration project and possibly could be harmful to endangered species.

But Davis said the division of forestry and the DEP have agreed to allow riders to return to the forest. Now, it needs the blessing of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, as well as state officials.

"This has really been a struggle," Davis said. "We've been working on this for many months now."

Since Jan. 3, recreational riders have held public meetings, written letters to local and state officials and even protested the state's decision to keep them out of the Picayune. The banning of riding in the Picayune has forced riders to travel to Ocala National Forest in Marion County in northcentral Florida, L-Cross X-treme in Glades County or to Croom.

The media attention encouraged Jim Kalvin, founder of a local boating rights and public access group called Standing Watch, to create the Florida Recreational Access Network, a Web site helpful to people throughout Florida who are trying to keep the land they use for recreation. This site will be catered to recreational riders, boaters and hunters.

"It's time for all the people to get together and say enough is enough," Kalvin said. "If you're recreating responsibly and legally, there's no way they should keep us out."

The Big Cypress Basin, the local division of the South Florida Water Management District, said last year it will find riders 640 acres to ride their off-road vehicles on by Oct. 31.

Davis said officials are close to getting the land.

He wouldn't reveal the location and would only say it's somewhere in Southwest Florida.

This piece of land would be a place "where people can be crazy in the mud if they want to," he said.

Davis said he is also speaking to state officials about creating an off-road vehicle park, like Croom, somewhere in South Florida.

Brian McMahon, a Golden Gate Estates resident who has been working closely with state representatives, said he's glad the state is finally recognizing that people in South Florida are upset.

"Public support for this project is dwindling. Not just on this coast, but everywhere," McMahon said of the restoration effort. "Sportsmen everywhere definitely know what's going on. Everybody is very concerned as to what the future will bring."

The Honda TRX250R
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 11:09:30 AM »

That just made my day man.  What Davis's email, we should send him some telling him thanks and we support him all the way.

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
dirty1

Im in it for the RIDE.....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 07:17:26 AM »

thats cool, even if they regulate it like croom, its closer to miami and that makes it much better,  all of us in south florida are praying and pushing for this to go through.............good luck everybody

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000
500runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 09:14:19 AM »

the only thing that sucks is the cost of $50.00 per yr to ride there and a $50.00 to ride  big cypress, whats next $50.00 to ride OCALA. the state need to make it a flat fee. for all areas.
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 01:25:37 PM »

I would pay $150 per year just to Ride Bad Luck if they gave us all the area's where we have been riding all along..

I like that place that much and would reconsider not moving if the give it back....My .02  

The Honda TRX250R
o4250
Supreme Member

Call me George Foreman..

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 02:31:30 PM »

I would pay $150 per year just to Ride Bad Luck if they gave us all the area's where we have been riding all along..

I like that place that much and would reconsider not moving if the give it back....My .02  

Your moving??

Just out of cuirosity how much are you selling your house for... I know houses in golden gate are getting to be pretty damn expensive :-/
450R_Matt
Supreme Member

TRX 250R #18

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2005, 05:10:41 PM »

Your moving??

Just out of cuirosity how much are you selling your house for... I know houses in golden gate are getting to be pretty damn expensive :-/

Not anytime soon. But b4 my kids go to school
Maybe in a few years..

This town Sux anymore..

The Honda TRX250R
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2005, 08:31:54 PM »

That's some great NEWS !!!  $50.00 That's nothing, it will keep the scums outa there.  I would pay 200 to ride.

500runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2005, 08:47:35 AM »

$200.00 to ride on a groomed trail, no night riding,no mudding,on a lot of 600/1k acres ..  have you been to croom?  yes $200 would be great if they let us ride like it is now.
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2005, 06:22:51 PM »

Well,  that's what I meant.  If we could ride there like before.

dirty1

Im in it for the RIDE.....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 07:35:34 PM »

seeing as how bigcypress doesnt enfore helmet laws that might be one that wont be there, but, i see it them leaving us the camp ground on the water and the prarie from the bridge out,  so that would mean the area inbetween , thats not a bad amount of land to ride. most of the closer will be around jane senic drive. but it will suck if they enforce the no doubles on the bikes.......

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000
500runner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2005, 09:47:28 PM »

the rules will be like croom , you must wear helmets, no night rideing, no 2 up riders, $50.00 fee and must pay the STATE OF FL $35.00 TITLE FEE + SALE TAX on your purchase price of you ATV :-/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com