wireless internet help...

Started by AmericanRobster, April 05, 2007, 02:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanRobster

My notebook computer has a 802.11 wireless internet card with it. My dad has a linksys router at his house and my computer works awesome there. When I come here to my apartment with my notebook computer I cannot access the internet at all. Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,
Rob
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

MOB4x4

You do know you need more than the card you need a modem and all that it just dont work that way

JackL

Quote from: americanrobster on April 05, 2007, 02:15:44 AM
My notebook computer has a 802.11 wireless internet card with it. My dad has a linksys router at his house and my computer works awesome there. When I come here to my apartment with my notebook computer I cannot access the internet at all. Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Thanks,
Rob

Buy a wireless router to plug into yourDSL or Cable.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

MOB4x4

yea that what you need but i would be cool if you just had to have the card to work

Ida_Mann

johnny 5 need more input,,,,,whatis your setup like at your apartment?

what is your network there,,,,you will need a connection to the internet and a wireless router or access point for it all to work.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Tripyn

This is assuming you do have a router at home with a cable modem/DSL modem plugged into the WAN/Internet port....

1) Are you broadcasting your SSID?
2) Do you have the wireless router secured with WEP?
3) Do you have turned DHCP on?
4) What happens when you plug the laptop directly into the modem and can you get internet access?
5) Have you tried resetting your router back to defaults?

Just shooting in the dark here, but that is where I would start.

JackL

Quote from: MOB4x4 on April 05, 2007, 04:42:25 AM
yea that what you need but i would be cool if you just had to have the card to work

In most places that is the case these days anyway..:)

An external antenna on your 802.11 card can help with that.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

AmericanRobster

Thanks alot guys! I have to try all of the above when I have more time.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road


offroadjunkee

keep in mind that sprint (with a contract) provides internet acces through an "air" card for about $50.00 month. Alltell does the same.. Both have a contract but you can get access through the card no matter where you go.