Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Honing question...  (Read 2466 times)
Dustin_89

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »

When you hone a  cylinder does it effect the piston size in any way? Anything i need to know about it? I got a mirror looking cylinder. when am i supposed to stop honeing?  thx ASAP i need answers
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »

When you hone a  cylinder does it effect the piston size in any way? Anything i need to know about it? I got a mirror looking cylinder. when am i supposed to stop honeing?  thx ASAP i need answers

usually it shouldnt affect it to the point where u would go oversized on anything, because all your doing it putting the cross hatches in so the new rings will seat. just make sure u keep plenty of oil on the hone, and you stop when u can see the cross hatch(idk how else to describe it, i know how to do it all, but im not real good at explaining things)

05 450r #13B
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:18:31 PM »

What kind of bike is it?

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
Dustin_89

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »

What kind of bike is it?
400ex
kenz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »

Here is a picture of a honed cylinder.  The one in his hand is not honed yet.

http://www.snafu.org/restore/service/4800-mile/p-20030209-123053.jpg

Was your cylinder bored out for a bigger piston?

If you didn't have your cylinder bored and you are replacing the rings and/or piston you just need to hone enough to break the glazing and stop as soon as you see the cross-hatch pattern appear.  Make sure to use plenty of oil for lubrication.   Do a couple stokes and wipe a section of the bore clean and see how it looks.  It shouldn't take more than a few strokes back and forth through the bore.

Clean the cylinder really well before putting things back together.  Any grit left behind does damage really quick in a running engine.

Before you put the rings on the piston check the piston and bore clearance to make sure it is still in tolerance.  Also check the ring end gap (make sure the ring is square in the bore).  If the end gap is too tight use a fine tooth flat file  and carefully file the ends.  (they also make a tool just for this purpose).  If there are any burs be sure to remove them.

2008 YFZ450
FTR 30+ #34B
Sarasota Area Quad Riders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com