Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: who makes a better engine  (Voting closed: March 28, 2007, 02:59:52 PM)
yamaha - 15 (50%)
mercury - 15 (50%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: boaters choice on engines  (Read 18689 times)
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 09:22:24 PM »

Cuz of the Grizz!

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »

We have a 1984 Merc 150 on our cajun bass boat and it has only had a few minor problems. Mostly from opperator error and one time it died but the carbeurators had never been worked on since it was made untill we got it. So that was a pretty easy fix. It smokes allot but if it aint smokin its broken so thats good.  I would actally reccomend all brands. One person with a bad exprience shouldnt sway your decision. I mean ours has been almost trouble free and we are the second owner since 1984 so thats saying somethin. But its not like any of the major manufactures build crap. If you keep them manianed and all that they should all suit you fine.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 09:30:31 PM »

I've had a johnson, evinrude, merc and yamaha and they are all good motors as long as u take care of them.  Out of the newer motors id go with a yamaha, the new evinrudes havn't proven themself to me yet. The mercs are the same as they always have been, they have always been know to sacrifice a lil reliability to get more performance. Overall, i would go with either a yamaha or a merc. Also a thing to think about, most of the newer yamaha and mercury outboards share parts(they sell parts to eachother) so they are somewhat similar motors in ways.

05 450r #13B
exrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »

I've had a johnson, evinrude, merc and yamaha and they are all good motors as long as u take care of them.  Out of the newer motors id go with a yamaha, the new evinrudes havn't proven themself to me yet. The mercs are the same as they always have been, they have always been know to sacrifice a lil reliability to get more performance. Overall, i would go with either a yamaha or a merc. Also a thing to think about, most of the newer yamaha and mercury outboards share parts(they sell parts to eachother) so they are somewhat similar motors in ways.

Not anymore. And even when they did it was only a small amount of Merc 4 strokes that had Yamaha power heads. By the way all of the Johnson 4 strokes are Suzuki. The only thing Johnson was the paint.

2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine
xr100racer

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 10:21:14 PM »

my uncle has trip e-tecs and they suck. no power to get on plane, decent top end though.

yeah, save money by not changing oil as often? but you buy 10x as much and burn it all

not a big fan of the verados (yet) couple little defects the first year they had them but they seem alright. everyone talks about the damn electronic throttle control but you can get that with any motor. but there supposably the fastest motor out on the water right now, yes even faster than the new 300s from what i hear
exrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »

my uncle has trip e-tecs and they suck. no power to get on plane, decent top end though.

yeah, save money by not changing oil as often? but you buy 10x as much and burn it all

not a big fan of the verados (yet) couple little defects the first year they had them but they seem alright. everyone talks about the damn electronic throttle control but you can get that with any motor. but there supposably the fastest motor out on the water right now, yes even faster than the new 300s from what i hear

Merc still makes some 2 stroke 300s that will smoke the Verado. And to get 275hp out of a 275 verado you have to use 91 octane. Otherwise it won't put out more than 250hp.

2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine
Sleazy_Rider78

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »

Johnson/Envinrude, never had anything else.  Never will.

www.myspace.com/mlatcham
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 12:21:52 AM »

Merc still makes some 2 stroke 300s that will smoke the Verado. And to get 275hp out of a 275 verado you have to use 91 octane. Otherwise it won't put out more than 250hp.

i havent filled up at a marina lately but i ussually dont see premium at the fuel dock. and never see it in other country's marinas. i take it out of the water to fill up because its more cost effective for me. but finding premium to make advertised hp sucks. im still not sure if i like them yet. but if you still got the power to push max rpm then your going to top out at the same mph with reg fuel vs premium, may take a little longer to get there though.

i was thinking about 4 strokes when i said fastest motor on the water. but i hear there faster than the 300hpdi yamys  which are pieces of shiot and are acctually closer to a 275 for hp

yamaha has a 350hp 4 stroke they are bringing out in production soon, so depending on how it performs it will mostlikly have the most power for a stock outboard

05 450r #13B
jayd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:09 PM »

Yamaha is my choice, I don't need a black anchor.
SomBch

beer....its whats for dinner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 12:30:56 PM »

Yamaha has become what Evinrude/ Johnson used to be , but with better performance. Most all the guys I know, their boats are rigged with Yamaha. Most are guides in the Keys, and they need their boats running in order to make money.Some are commercial fisherman and prefer the Yamaha commercial engine.
Mercury makes a very good race inspired engine and Im not saying they suck. But, I know that Yamahas are a more reliable engine that has great performance.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.
JackL
Supreme Member

A enemy generally says and believes what he wishes

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 12:54:05 PM »

My Force will out run em all. Smiley

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 02:29:53 PM »

what year is it havent seen one of thos in a while

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

2000 honda fourtrax currently in pieces

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
garym
Supreme Member

four wheeling or fishing, it always takes gas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 03:20:34 PM »

go with the yamaha...I have had 3 mercs and they all blew up or had problems.  For the last 10 years I have ran Yamadogs and never had a problem/failure yet.  I am currently running twin 1991 225's on a 31ft center console.  The sheriff's office also runs yamaha and trade them in when they hit 2000 hours of usage!!!
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »

Mercury makes force. They are just a off brand used on tracker and a few other brands.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
jpease

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »

no honda users?  last year I spent a week on a lake up NE Tennessee just about every pontoon boat which was abut 90% of them had honda or yamaha.
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:01 PM »

Mercury makes force. They are just a off brand used on tracker and a few other brands.

I'm just wondering why is Mercury getting such a bad rap here.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do.
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »

no honda users?  last year I spent a week on a lake up NE Tennessee just about every pontoon boat which was abut 90% of them had honda or yamaha.

Would that be Wautauga lake?

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 04:50:57 PM »

are u stupid Chrysler makes force not mercury

2002 blaster pro circuit pipe,works shocks,new head an piston,just broke in an quick

1984 chevy scottsdale 1500 4x4 4inch lift 6.2l diesel 95000 original miles 20mpg city 23 hwy
FishaHallic
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 06:19:26 PM »

No, I believe he is right, Force was made by Mercury.
mud.junkie

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 07:12:54 PM »

Force was definatly made by merc. And whatever you buy just maintain it and it will work oh, and buy the extended warranty if your not sure
garym
Supreme Member

four wheeling or fishing, it always takes gas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »

yep, force was made by merc and yamaha used to provide blocks to merc for their optimax I believe?
Chevy1500z71
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 08:17:53 PM »

honda is actualy the only engine builder rite now that makes all its own parts. yamaha buys powerheads from murcury and mercury uses yamahas lower units, just so all you brand loyal fokes know... take a gander at these pictures

just so you know this is 4 stroke only, mercury still owns in 2 strokes. but the point is there all using the same parts
GENERAL-Z
Supreme Member

ya i got one

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »

nice word useage

xr100racer

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »

did someone say honda?  Laugh

and force?  Rolling on the Floor Laughing

force was origionally made by CHRYSLER marine

then they were manufactured under US Marine (bayliner)

then they were bought by Brunswick (makers of Mercury)

merc stopped making them in '99 because they SUCKED! they were motors that wernt good enough to be sold under the Mercury name
JackL
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 10:22:38 PM »

did someone say honda?  Laugh

and force?  Rolling on the Floor Laughing

force was origionally made by CHRYSLER marine

then they were manufactured under US Marine (bayliner)

then they were bought by Brunswick (makers of Mercury)

merc stopped making them in '99 because they SUCKED! they were motors that wernt good enough to be sold under the Mercury name

LMAO, didn't mean to hijack the thread. My (2) are pre Mercury, and everyone always rags on them, but I have had little problems over the many years the ole Bayliner has been around.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com