Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My long boring first time at Big Scrub report..  (Read 3552 times)
Big_G

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2005, 09:53:32 AM »

Mar 19-20  Wow first of all the weather was perfect low-mid 70’s not a cloud in the sky. Animal tracks everywhere the deer sign was incredible. Got lost looking for Scrub in my truck (doof) we went down some trail full of trash from people dumping (yuck). Finally finally found the right road and made it to camp, it was nicer than I imagined lots of high dollar RV’s unloaded and hit the trails Got pulled over by a ranger after about a ½ hour (oh dang!) we went down the side of the numbered road right in front of Big Scrub (never saw a number?), had a talk with him he was going on and on about all the damage the people are doing to the park etc. how when he started there 3 years ago there was more vegetation under the power lines (I was sympathetic to his story that is until we went deeper into the trails and saw all the clear cutting) anyway I explained it was our first time there and how I had tried and tried to find out everything I needed to know?, he told me 16 and under must have helmets, stay off the numbered roads (need a map I guess? you can cross them if you can see the trail your going to on the other side) and away from wetlands, don’t litter and we’d be ok with him and we went on our way (cool), he was a nice guy. And oh yea he told us to visit a visitor station.(we did the next day & got a map!) We found a few places (gps a MUST) Blue sink was nice? (Some locals we’re bummed out I guess the park people had just killed a huge oak tree just to cut down a rope swing?) We had to walk in about a 50 yards they had the trails blocked off to keep ORV’s from getting to close to the wetland (lake?) (Although just northeast of there we found what I would consider a real wetland ducks and everything with no barricades?) there was a few big bags of trash there in REAL need of picking up, to bad the park service doesn’t get after stuff like that a few trash cans(I bet the walking trails have them) and a trash patrol would sure make things nicer maybe an education system about the evils of littering (something the whole country needs remember the public service commercials with the Indian on the side of the road in the 70’s?) maybe a trail map so we wouldn’t have to go in circles or to a dead end?........they could have a park entrance fee or something? Maybe fence off some of the off highway trails that people dump on also? Maybe a permit/education system like at Big Cypress? Maybe some of the money could go to the people who make all the money from clear cutting maybe they could let a few trees mature make it look more like a forest? Maybe a speed limit and one way trails maybe I should just shut up and enjoy the place maybe…………..anyway thank goodness for the bombs and the clear cutting or no doubt they’d never let us near the place on our bikes anymore!

Ps while ranger dude was talking to us my bud looks down at my bike (new 2005 Rincon second time out) and there’s oil on the foot rest WTF!!! I pull out the plastic cover and the oil fill cap is gone!!! (Must of just fell off on the trial???) We’re like up a creek without a paddle standing there stunned when my kid looks at it and spies the cap resting on the bottom skid plate WHEWWWWWW clean it off put it back on check the oil all’s good and we hit the trail feelin lucky!

and oh yea we had a BLAST!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:58:49 AM by Big_G » Logged
Eworm
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »

Good post, glad you had a good time
GSPKurt
Supreme Member

GSP Rescue Volunteer, Brittany Rescue Volunteer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 01:54:01 PM »

When you said boring, I thought you meant your visit to Big Scrub!  Roll Eyes Good thing I read the whole report.
Kurt

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch
yfz450rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:54:59 PM »

i got in trouble by da ranger too,
like u, i didint know the rules of the camp so as soon as we get there i unload my bike and test it out. but wen i do, wat i thought was trials was actially a road... so i make a quick turn and find the ranger truck in front of me...
i went off with a warning, but he said if he catched me on da rode again ill get a 70 doller ticket :-/... from there on i rode safe 4 about an hour... untill da fear went away...
and i got back 2 ridin how i usually ride Grin

« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 01:56:26 PM by yfz450rider » Logged
bftclub

where's the mud at?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »

rangers up there don't play games!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Toomey
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 06:49:07 PM »

and i got back 2 ridin how i usually ride Grin

What does that mean!  Angry

Looking for a junker dirt bike project.
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 10:30:47 AM »

If you keep going north on 19 past salt springs and the elite resort about half mile there is a road on the left(west). pull in there and there is a camping area where you can park and ride out right there. Lots of trails. Not sure of the name but I had a good time there with my brother and his kids. Seems Big Scrub is a pretty busy spot.

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
yfz450rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 02:33:33 PM »

What does that mean!  Angry

lol... u know how every1 does Grin
jgdorado

Just give me some land to ride on.......

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 04:46:23 PM »

like a gentleman sipping tea (but of course)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com