Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Soapbox  (Read 3799 times)
AlterEgo

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »

Part of the biggest problem with our "sport" is too many riders feel a sense of entitlement for riding. The feeling of "I've been riding this way for years, I'm not changin' now." Or, "They're takin' all of my riding areas away, so screw 'em, I'm ridin' anyway. Let 'em catch me." "I'm gettin' mine now, to hell with ridnin' here 5 years from now." And, "I bought the bike, now give me a place to ride it." In other words too many people feel they are owed a right to ride - so much so that they ride areas that they aren't supposed to, ride in an unsafe manner despite the risk to others, leave trash on public land, run pipes loud enough to be heard across the county and ride bikes too big for their age. All of these things could be debated endlessly. But what is not up for debate is the harm it causes our sport when the effect of these things come into the public view and then are legisislated into further restrictions. The reasons I listed are why our sport becomes so hated in the public view.

Another problem is the attitude of defiance when it comes to riding laws. The upcoming rally is great for a show of strength, as long as it's not perceived in the public as a protest (you OWE us riding areas, give 'em to us now!) . It needs to be seen as us being a very large group willing to work with law enforcement and the public toward compromise to provide us more riding areas. We need to show we are a responsible group. The powers that be want to please as many people as possible and the general public will ALWAYS outnumber us. We can never have enough people at a rally to outnumber the public and their opinion. However, if we're seen as an organized group working to fix the problems some of our riders create, public opinion will soften and restrictions will ease.

The riding areas available now are pathetic. When I have to haul my ATV 6 hours to the ONF to be shoved onto a trail with a million other riders, all there because they also have no place to ride, that is pathetic. Something needs to give, and we need to find the most EFFECTIVE way to go about it.

Oh, and I've done some of the things I've listed, I don't think any of us haven't. So I know from experience the damage they can do in public opinion.

Please, come shove me off of my soapbox, but do it with rational arguments or helpful suggestions.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 07:31:22 AM by AlterEgo » Logged

Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 07:55:40 AM »

Funny you mention this. There are a bunch of us working on this as we speak. We formed an association of riders, Florida ATV Association www.FloridaAtvAssociation.com.

We have united riders throughout the State, we have both directors on our board, and members who have joined that now represent the majority of the major associations and clubs in Florida. People are signing up daily.

I agree with your logic, so let's promote the association. If you own an ATV and want to ride in this very ATV unfriendly State you should really consider joining. People have been complaining for a long time that we are not organized, and until now that was true. Here is everyones chance to carry forward the momentum Dreth has started with the Rally.

Join and try to make a difference. Something will come of this, that is certain, but the level of change we can achieve is very much related to the amount of people who can actually be concerned enough to take the 1 minute it takes to register. It certainly feels better to be actually trying to do something to help.

Join now, it's fast, free and it's sole purpose is to help promote our sport:

http://floridaatvassociation.com/index.php?option=com_performs&formid=1&Itemid=30
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »

WELL SAID  Clapper Clapper Thumbs Up
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:29:54 AM »

the only time I've ever said "screw 'em, I'm riding there anyway" has been in ONF when they "closed" certain areas that have been open since my mother was 8 years old driving an old army jeep in the same area ;-)

I have seen areas closed down due to progress,,,in fact one of my favorite spots is a hotel and housing development now(JW Marriot on John Young Parkway and Central FL Parkway in Orlando),,,,my family and I used to ride there almost every weekend all day long and start a campfire,,,cook hotdogs and watch the fireworks from Sea World at night.  One weekend we got to our riding spot and there was a 20' tall mound of clay,,,,,,come to find out there was a new road going through (John Young Parkway).

I'm rambling about the good ole days,,,,sorry ya'll

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
Anoriginal

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:30:24 AM »

Alterego:

Great post. Very well said.
BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 08:35:15 AM »

Awsome guys.

Ida those were the days. Hotdogs, campfires, atvs and great friends. Wink

East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.
Raptor 660

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »

This is all true, that's why I have already joined the association. Thanks for giving us the tool to help. We have been needing something to help us come together for a long time.  Thumbs Up
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 09:12:30 AM »

Thanks Paul - just joined. Should've sooner!  Embarrassed

Polaris Predator 50
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:28:42 AM »

Awsome guys.

Ida those were the days. Hotdogs, campfires, atvs and great friends. Wink
Ohhhh yeeeaaaahhhh. That sure brings back some memories......
Paul_S
Supreme Member

FloridaMotoplex.com

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »

Thanks Paul - just joined. Should've sooner!  Embarrassed
Thank you.  I am sceptical about joining things too, but we really do intend to make a difference. The association has a lot of people who genuinely care more about this sport than just hearing their own voice. We are riders too, I go to Durhamtown once a month and to be honest, as much as I love the place - I am sick of the drive/weekend commitment involved.  We need to get some places here in Florida that cater to our needs.

The one thing apparent from the responses in your ONF accident post is that there are 2 or 3 very different styles of riding. Rather than force us down the same trail, and just hope we don't hit each other (although there are some individuals who would prefer we do), collectively we need to figure out how all riding disciplines can get the maximum enjoyment from all the money we have invested.

When I am on my sport bike, I love flying around corners, it is part of the thrill of riding a fast machine.  I ride at Osceola Forest a lot and it is no fun thinking at anytime you may crash into an oncoming family.  While I am sensible enough to adjust my speed accordingly, it does take away a lot of the excitement.

I ride a UTE too and conversely I know it's no fun worrying whether someone is going to come flying around the corner and head-on into our group. The enjoyment for many is a leisurely drive through the forest and they should be able to do that too.

Another enjoyable riding style is mud/water crossings, I spend yesterday riding up to my handlebars in the Withlacoochee River (again in GA) this is obviously not popular with the anti ATV groups, as it does damage to the eco system and erodes the sensitive areas. Luckily building a new golf course, subdivision or a new strip mall helps preserve the environment, or at least they must do, as nobody fights the construction of these.  Riding in mud and water is fun and there should be places to do this too.  There are a whole group of people, numbering in the thousands who enjoy doing this type of riding, let's work at getting them a place to ride too.

Please take a few moments to join. Together we may be able to change this.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 02:06:46 PM by Paul_S » Logged
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 01:40:04 PM »

Absolutely agree that we need to find a way to fairly accommodate all riding styles in a manner that promotes everyone's safety. If we start fighting amongst ourselves and segregating by riding style, we are weakened as a whole.

Polaris Predator 50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com