Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ONF accident  (Read 21881 times)
AlterEgo

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »

Posting this here instead of the ONFA section hoping it will reach more people. Rode the trails/camped the Ocala Nat. Forest for the first time this past weekend - 5 families, 4 UTVs and 4 ATVs. Great time, great trails (a few pretty whooped out, but not bad over all). Great family day riding and exploring.

A word of caution if you go - watch out for the blind corners and listen for other bikes/atvs if you can. The lead Rhino in our group was coming up to a blind corner with a berm when he thought he heard another ATV coming. He stopped and a sport atv rounded the corner doing 25-35 mph and slammed into the Rhino. The ATV rider flew off the bike and onto the hood of the rhino and then to the ground. He immediately tried to stand but fell back to the ground from leg injuries. Luckily we had an ER nurse in our group that attended to the rider, checked him for injuries and bandaged up some pretty bad gashes in his leg. The Rhino driver was thrown from the Rhino and his son hit the floorboard - they both had minor bruises. We loaded the ATV rider into the bed of a rhino and lifted the front of his bike onto the hitch of another rhino to tow it out (his bike was unusable it was damaged so badly). Took the trail back out to a main forest road where his buddy rode and retrieved their truck and trailer and headed off to the hospital.

Thank God we didn't have one of the kids on an atv leading the group - I can't imagine what would have happened. Most of the trails were fairly wide (we were only on the ones designated "multi-use") and you can see others coming. But some of the blind corners are nasty and if you're going to fly around them you're rolling the dice, not just with your safety but others. Not sure what the solution is - common sense first and foremost. Other than that, mabye one way trails.

Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50
psd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »

You are correct everone needs to pay more attention and slow down a bit

2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125
greenmachine
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »

Hopefully he didnt tear up your rhino too bad. Stupid hurts, maybe he will learn this time. I always lead our family in the woods for that reason. I's rather it be me than my wife or children. He is lucky you all were nice enough to help him out of the woods.
MedicMudder
Supreme Member

USMC...OOOO RHAA !!!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »

wonder if a flag on the back,like you have to have when riding in the
sand dunes at Glamis ect? These type of incidents will happen from time to
time,when you put riders in the same place. Hope the anti atvers dont use
the incidents like this to try to stop us from riding. More kids are hurt riding skate
boards than on atvs. Glad no one was hurt badly,thats smart the way you put the bigger atv up front.

Never forget 343.
2004 500 SPM
 My son is a United States  Marine. SmileySmiley Semper Fidelis.
 Proud member of the Mudd Butt Mafia
    VAMPIRES SUCK BLOOD TO LIVE, POLITICIANS DO IT CUZ THE ENJOY IT!!!!!!
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:44:28 PM »

a good reason to have one-way trails.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
sykolincoln
Supreme Member

save money on tires! ride a trike!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »

ive had a few close calls, but I usually slow down on bad blind curves non the less, or pull over completely, most of the time I cannot hear anything over my motor (old air cooled 2 stroke) so I cannot hear an oncoming rider, but I keep my eyes peeled for anyone coming in any direction.

3 wheelers are like parapalegic girls....you know you want to ride it!

www.3wheelerworldforums.com

www.sponsorhouse.com/Members/SOUTHGACUSTOMS
1FasterBlaster

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 02:52:40 PM »

It wasn't due to either of your riding.Accidents happen.I've had close run ins with people as we both were going slow.That's why they call them blind corners.I find it hard to hear anyone over my engine with a helmet on.
   We all know the risk of riding and we've all had our accidents.Hope everything worked out.I'm glad to hear you guys helped out so much.Some people would just keep going.You guys even dragged his quad out for him.
   Be safe and keep having fun!!
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »

thats why the trails need to be one way.two way trails are to dangerous glad nobody was seriously injured stay safe

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 05:53:03 PM »

Don't come around any corners and run into me or my family. I will not allow them to render first aid to you. I'll do it only if it's life threatening to you. And, I certainly won't tow your disabled ATV back unless you immediately pay for my damages. You don't own ONF!

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
Chuck_Norris

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »

a good reason to have one-way trails.

Id@

AGREED Wink
Chillinthemost
Supreme Member

Git it rag

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »

That why you always assume someone IS coming around the corner and be ready for it. My kids NEVER ride in the front.

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12
500melon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 06:45:48 PM »

And if you have headlights , please turn them on. It may help a little even in the day time.
novadave

04 yfz450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »

I knew this was gunna happen soon or later. I'm happy that no one was hurt badly, but its gunna happen alot more with these 2 way trails. I love to ride fast , thats why i bought my bike. If i wanted to go slow i would have bought a golf cart.

HELP I NEED SOME PLACE TO RIDE!
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 07:25:53 PM »

Don't come around any corners and run into me or my family. I will not allow them to render first aid to you. I'll do it only if it's life threatening to you. And, I certainly won't tow your disabled ATV back unless you immediately pay for my damages. You don't own ONF!

I bet you make your family proud with your ignorant wisdom.

AmericanRobster
Supreme Member

2006 Arctic Cat 500 TRV 4X4

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »

Again, pay attention!

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road
1Scorpion
Contributing Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 09:00:40 PM »

We saw the rescue going thru the forest Sat. afternoon . Was there another wreck ? Or was it for the wreck you all are talking about.
jujulo700R

When my clutch pops, my front wheels will hop!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 09:16:15 PM »

That is one of the main things I worry about when I ride at ONF now. You can do 5th gear on a lot of the trails out there and by them reducing the amount of trails open, I see this type of thing happening more and more. Eventually it is going to lead to the demise of ONF in my opinion.

Just a little fast and just a little furious.
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »

We saw the rescue going thru the forest Sat. afternoon . Was there another wreck ? Or was it for the wreck you all are talking about.

We pulled the guy out Sunday morning. Must've been another wreck you saw.

Polaris Predator 50
AlterEgo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 09:33:13 PM »

Hopefully he didnt tear up your rhino too bad. Stupid hurts, maybe he will learn this time. I always lead our family in the woods for that reason. I's rather it be me than my wife or children. He is lucky you all were nice enough to help him out of the woods.

Bumper collapsed, hood buckled and cracked up the center, rim bent & flattened the tire & crunched a headlight. The atv had the frame bent, tie rods broke, bent handle bars, plastic everywhere, etc . .  If we go again, a Rhino will be leading the pack.

Polaris Predator 50
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 09:34:57 PM »

wow, your an idiot straight up! If i was a mod i'd ban you for saying something so stupid and careless. I'd really like to know you definition of life threatening is, because a broken leg and no fluid's out in the hot FL sun can put someone in a hospital bed. shock and dehydration buddy.

You guys are good people for doing the right thing. Glad to hear everyone on your end was ok and i hope the guy on the sport bike is alright and learns his leason about blazing around blind turns.

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »

Bumper collapsed, hood buckled and cracked up the center, rim bent & flattened the tire & crunched a headlight. The atv had the frame bent, tie rods broke, bent handle bars, plastic everywhere, etc . .  If we go again, a Rhino will be leading the pack.

in case I forgot   Clapper  for helping the guy out, let's all pray that he recovers, learns, and helps to fix your quad.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
gearhead400
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »

a rhino with a reinforced bumper haha. Dang are you sure he wasnt going faster than 25-30? thats bad crash!

Bury your fear, and hold fast to life!!

Mansfield
       Feeling generous?
Support/Sponsor me =] via paypal
  gearhead400ex@hotmail.com
stacktester
Supreme Member

Proud of our servicemen and women

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »

I have always said if somebody carelessly comes around a corner and hurts somebody I'm gettin off and beatin his ass to sleep. The forest is being overused for the amount of riders that come out. That's unfortunate but it's reality. I've ridden a great deal of the trail system and IMO, they aren't really good for speed. Trails to me are more for just riding and taking it easy. You wanna haul f'ing a$$ go to the powerlines.

You can call me a dumbass or call a mod on me or whatever. It's a fact Jack that there is NOT enough riding room on that trail system to go barreling thru there where sharp turns are. I've seen a few places you can let er rip, but not many. That's my .02 and if you don't like it then tough. Last time I checked freedom of speech was still intact. I see a lot of family rides (including mine) on the trails and I would hate to see kids being hurt because somebody can't wait to get in a straight away or safer place to ride fast safely.

Honda Rancher 4x4 ES
Newmembers good friend
AintSkeered
Contributing Member Plus
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 10:34:15 PM »

All I'm saying is that if you selfishly race around a blind corner and hit me, my only responsibility is to report the accident. I'm under no obligation to support your behavior by helping you. As far as I'm concerned, that's no accident, it's careless, reckless negligence and I'd definitely press/file civil and/or any other charges I possibly could against you. That kind of recklessness is going to cause increased anti-OHV legislation. MX tracks are for those who feel the need for speed and ONF is not an MX track. Not my rules!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:36:59 PM by AintSkeered » Logged

2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group
blupits04
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 10:58:12 PM »

AMEN!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com