Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: problems 400ex  (Read 1877 times)
bignickwaite

yee haww

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2007, 07:06:23 PM »

alright i just bought a 2004 400ex and its almost perfect.extreamly clean .the frame doesnt even have a scrach.it has 10 hrs on it .the problem is it wont idle and i can ride it but if i give it gas it boggs down and stalls .it has no work done to it .gas tank vent isnt cloged and tried to adjust the idle and that didnt work it runs real rough tell me what you think .if the carb needs to be cleand just try to instruct me on how to do so .thanks nick

Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 07:44:35 PM »

How old is the gas?
Check the spark plug. Possibly fouled.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
CABLEGUY1
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 08:39:26 PM »

alright i just bought a 2004 400ex and its almost perfect.extreamly clean .the frame doesnt even have a scrach.it has 10 hrs on it .the problem is it wont idle and i can ride it but if i give it gas it boggs down and stalls .it has no work done to it .gas tank vent isnt cloged and tried to adjust the idle and that didnt work it runs real rough tell me what you think .if the carb needs to be cleand just try to instruct me on how to do so .thanks nick

I bought my DS in like new condition with about the same amount of hours on it but it had been sitting about a year.It had the same symptoms as yours.I had Mike at ATP clean out the carb and it was fine however he said he had to soak the carb for a day just to break up all the sediment in it before he could clean it thouroughly.
eldiablo64
Supreme Member

Finally! ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 09:51:13 PM »

my 300ex was doin that a couple weeks ago.I drained the tank ,cleaned the carb and adjusted the idle now it screams again

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com
Fox17
Supreme Member

Go Gators!!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 09:58:17 PM »

yea, the carb is "dirty" or clogged or whatever you want to say. we had a bike do that alot til we bought a fuel filter for it. its a 86 honda trx. the tank is real messed up so it gets like that. sounds the same. i dont know how to talk you through the process exactly but go check out exriders.com and ask them.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »

get yerself a can of carb cleaner from an auto parts store,,,,and then start tearing apart the carb,,,,,keep a cardboard box around to keep the pieces and don't worry if you have extra pieces once you put it back together.

or don't listen to me ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
dynodon
Supreme Member

Ocala racing team

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 09:11:20 AM »

get yerself a can of carb cleaner from an auto parts store,,,,and then start tearing apart the carb,,,,,keep a cardboard box around to keep the pieces and don't worry if you have extra pieces once you put it back together.

Leave it to you to give advice like that !!!!LOL

Id@

The " Black Pearl "
No, you dont want NONE of it
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »

Leave it to you to give advice like that !!!!LOL

Id@

do you understand why I take my quads to ATP ;-)

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 08:20:48 PM »

My brother had the EXACT same problem... the bike only had a few hours on it... come to find out it was just the plug... the one that was in there from the factory was bad.  Also you couldnt tell by looking at it. Didnt smell or look fouled but it was bad I think it had a short inside the plug.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:23:01 PM by IXIswamperIXI » Logged

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com