Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car insurance question  (Read 3586 times)
Da_Mtg_Man
extraordinaire
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »

If a car is parked at the mall and some miserable SOB side swipes it and doesn't stick around to give you their info and I claim it on my full coverage (Geico) will my insurance go up? There is a $500 deduct and approximately $1000 in damage.
I know there's a couple ins agents on here so I though I'd thow it out there.

FLORIDA MUD RIDER
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »

from personal experiece, I had a claim similiar to that, and my insurance did not go up.  don't know for sure though.  I am with state farm.  good luck, and shame on that SOB that didn't have the respect to inform ya.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

I own and wear a purple sombrero

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »

kinda along the same lines,,,,how about if some yahoo has road rage and pulls ahead of you real quick like and slams the brakes,,,,,,,if I were to make a claim on the front end damage,,,,,what happens to my rates?

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

Rich men use dollars, Common folks use sense

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »

My wife runs a autobody shop and deals with all kinds of insurances... With her experience with Geico it will go up if you have had other repairs with them... State Farm has a policy if it is under a certain amount it will not go up... Also just for your info in a parking lot 99% of the time it is considered "No Fault" which means both parties insurance pays their own damage although if you got side swiped it would have been there fault.  Just for a little more FYI if you know it is not your fault get the police to cite the other party (I know you couldn't there) The way we always try to look at it is to try to come up with a number (ie: $2000) and if the damage is over that then get the insurance involved.  Like all of us we don't have $2000 just laying around but you can save it up as long as your ride is still driveable.  Call around to body shops you should be able to find one to give free estimates.

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »

Ida,  I hate to say it but they will say it was your fault they might cite you for following to close or not paying attention.  There are a lot of exceptions,  I would try to get witnesses to say you were cut off ect. ect. As far as your rates they WILL go up.  Sorry for the bad news  Sad 

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

Location: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »

yeah, the whole story is that the guy came up from behind me when we were merging onto the Turnpike from 441 in Orlando and where the three lanes turn to one, he stayed beside me(obviously thinking I should give the little ***** the right of way), well the lane finally got small enough between concrete barriers that he ended up turning into my right side and eventually got behind me,,,,,,as I was looking for a place to pull over(lots of construction in that area) he pulls around in front of me and slams the brakes.

FHP came out and didn't cite anyone for either incident,,,,,,and funny thing we both have Geico who has said they will make a "determination" after pics are taken.

I still need to take my truck in for the pics.

Id@ 

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."
IXIswamperIXI
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »

That is a standard procedure for Geico and most all of them,  a friend of mine was sitting in traffic (not moving) a guy SLAMS into him from behind (about 50 MPH) pushes him into the car in frount of him.  My friend gets cited for following too close and has to pay (well the insurance paid) for the damage to the car infrount of him.  Isn't that bull**** Just a little more FYI on how close to get to the person in frount of you at a red light LOL

GrlNextDoor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 09:00:47 PM »

With most companies, if your insurance pays out for anything other than PIP, you will be surcharged at your next renewal.  Some have accident forgiveness (first time they pay out is a "freebie" and they don't surcharge), I don't believe Geico is one. 

The other scenario, you may be getting an accident free for XX years discount.  In this case, they may remove the discount.  Not surcharging but, still going up due to losing the discount.
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 09:18:30 PM »

Mike, I cannot give you the answer you want but I used to be with a company that every time a renewel come up for me they say that they give me a safe driver discount but my insurance goes up a little. I called them one time and asked where was the discount and they said that they had a rate increase, which turned out to be more then the safe driver discount. That was 6 or 7 years ago. I switched to Farm Bureau and its the same way but at least it doesn't seem to go up as much as it did. Been with them a long time and its only went up a little in 6 years. Just saying that if they don't go up for that reason then they will find something to use to increase their rates. LOL

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
GrlNextDoor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 10:14:29 PM »

From the inside, stay with Farm Bureau.  I'm an agent with another company but keep my cars with Farm Bureau because their rates are SOOO good, by hundreds of dollars usually!! Smiley
Ida_Mann
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:13:24 AM »

I guess I'm doing well on the insurance rates and don't mind much if they go up temporarily,,,,,I'm paying about $440 per year.

and they only seem to go up about $5 per year for the last couple years.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

'00 Honda TRX90
Smoknbanshee
Supreme Member

When the green light drops, all bull$hit stops!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 06:35:20 AM »

with state farm, i don't think damtgman's claim would be an accident.  that is no-fault claim in my opinion.  i had one similiar and they didn't claim it as an accident.

Team FBI (Florida Boy's Inc.)
A$$ Crack Racing
Choke on my Smoke!
GrlNextDoor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 06:41:55 AM »

No fault applies to PIP, so that medical bills are paid immediately no matter who's fault it was.  What probably happened with your claim was accident forgiveness where it was your freebie and they didn't surcharge you for it. 

Ida - $440 is great  for a year.  (disclaimer - unless you have state minimum - then, you need to better protect yourself.  Sorry, had to do that.  Wink  )

susieblazer
Supreme Member

It's WHAT the winds blowing!! Git R Dun

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »

spacerider is a claims adjuster, he can give you some answers he is licensed in Fla and S.C. and soon to be N.C. ...give him a shout..............

2000 Polaris 325 Trail Boss  Red/White/Blue
2005 Polaris 250 Trail Blazer  50 Year Edition Orange
2005 Suzuki LTZ400   White/Blue
Railbuggy Type 4 (4 seater)  Light Burgandy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com