Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to Legally Ride in Palm Beach County  (Read 108387 times)
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

Thanks FWC-LT for the assistance!! Hopefully the information we provide will bring some resolve to the current ATV issues. I'll get with you on more detailed info about the management areas so I can point riders into the right direction.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

BTW where's anoriginal? Shocked

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2005, 10:37:58 PM »

Cool idea with the Citizen ATV Patrol, But I don't think the brass would go for it Smiley. I'll ask about the clean up efforts, but what would really help is getting the word out for riders to stop riding on public roadways. Dirt or paved, it's the same violation, F.S.S. 316.2074 (5). The fine is $71.50, but the damage it does to the image of ATV riders as a whole toward the community is devastating. The areas I'm talking about are The Acreage, Jupiter Farms and Palm Beach Country Estates. 80% of the complaints we receive involve ATVs/Dirt Bikes riding recklessly on the dirt roads. The other 20% involve paved roads or being on private property/Natural Areas. When it comes to the roads, it's a serious safety issue. A helmetless 12year old shouldn't be riding a Raptor down the middle of Orange Blvd!!
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2005, 10:55:48 PM »

A helmetless 12year old shouldn't be riding a Raptor down the middle of Orange Blvd!!

Maybe that was the kid on the black raptor from the last Rodman ride.... lol

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »

gofastmatt2, If you were in any Natural Area, SFWMD area or on the canal bank of the "M" canal/West Palm Beach Water Catchment Area, chances are, I or one of my partners charged you with trespass. We have a zero tolerence policy for these areas because the posted signs are the warning. Trespass can carry up to a $500 fine or up to a year in jail. Paying a $190 fine and having it off your record sounds like the better deal to me. They offered that deal partially because we entered on the probable cause that "The defendants demeanor was polite and respectful." If you were stopped by our unit, you were treated with dignity and respect. We also usually photograph the scene so there is no confusion as to were the trespass took place. Bottom line is, if you see a Natural Area or No trespass sign, please turn around and ride the other way!! I'd much rather be watching squirrels run around in the trees than arresting an ATV rider just out having fun....
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »

Hey Asphalt, If he was seeing how fast he could go, it may have very well been the same one......Only I know his father wasn't real happy about it this time......
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2005, 06:32:06 AM »

Where should he be riding ?  The only thing left is concrete ! I guess it is time to do like other countries and put tags on them for legal operation on the roadways .
Dont get me wrong , I am working on a pay to ride area around Indiantown and because of the value of land it is almost impossible to get insurance ! I will give a better explanation in my other post May have us ..........

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2005, 07:34:07 AM »

PBSO, My buddy and I were on the other side of the canal at royal palm blvd and orange over in that open property.  It was a real rainy day on a saturday about a month 1/2 ago. You shouldn't have much problem this weekend most people will be at msg. You should post us the night before which area you will be in so we know where not to go, how about that?Huh?? Works for me.  Grin [smiley=laugh.gif]
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2005, 08:30:45 AM »

Hey Gofast, Yea, I remember that day all to well....You guys were cool and it wasn't fun doing the arrest reports under my poncho. Unfortunately, you know first hand about the zero tolerance thing. You also know how we treat those we stop. As for posting when and where we patrol.....We have patrols out every day, rain or shine as you found out, at varied hours, checking every site. Hope that helps  Cool
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 08:41:36 AM by PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 » Logged
J.D.
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2005, 08:37:49 AM »

I have a ? for PBSO . Is it true that if you are riding in the city on an OHV  and decide to flee when you are being stopped the Officers will not give chase ?

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »

JD, I can't speak for the city police departments, as they have different pursuit policies. As for us, we'll pursue long enough to get a good description to put out to all units. We usually have helicopter support and have them shadow for us.
Patrol cars and even our 4x4s are no match for an ATV fleeing into the woods. However, our unit primarily patrols on ATVs. Gofast can vouch on that. When someone chooses to flee from us, we set up our own perimeter with ATVs while patrol cars watch the roadways. They're going to get caught if we're on our ATVs, it's only a matter of time. There are several ATVs in our impound lot from those who used poor judgement. Not only does fleeing police place the ATV rider, pursuing deputies and general public in danger, it's one of the biggest black eyes that the sport can get, next to injury crashes and deaths.
J.D.
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2005, 09:23:28 AM »

Thanks for the reply ,  I just have a hard time agreeing that an atv should be chased at all . Especially when the rider has no protective equipment and poor judgement is it really worth it ?

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2005, 09:24:10 AM »

JD, As for where the the 12 year old should be riding, it should be on private property, your future site in Indiantown, or one of the areas FWC-LT mentioned. DOT will never allow most ATVs to be street legal due to handling characteristics. I checked.....Also, the manufactures themselves don't want the liability, which is why that little decal by your left knee when your riding says " Not for use on public roadways." During the scope of our duties, Law Enforcement is permitted to operated on the  public roadways and property, F.S.S 316.2074 (7). We have to go through a Law Enforcement ATV certification course. Even riding a fully marked patrol ATV equipped with emergency lighting and siren can be nerve racking in traffic. When asked why we can ride on the public roadways when no one else can, I answer, "For the same reason I'm permitted to open carry a firearm. To protect life and property, and to enforce the laws of this state."
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:56:43 AM by PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 » Logged
Deadmullet

Reality Is An Illusion Caused By Lack Of Alcohol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2005, 09:38:21 AM »

this would be a great "love doctors" show Roll Eyes

05' Foreman 500 S
26" ITP type 5/ 589's
K&n air filter,HMF utility,Dynojet kit,leakshield
Stik Guards,Front bash plate
Snorkit Snorkel
Ram"beverage"holder
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2005, 09:48:09 AM »

JD, I agree with you on the pursuit thing 100%. We hate them with a passion, however, we can't just sit idly by either. It doesn't take long for us to get a vehicle/clothing description. In most cases, a simple perimeter works fine and no one gets hurt. Again, the Wildlands Task Force primarily patrols Natrual Areas, SFWMD areas, and the West Palm Beach Water Catchment Area. Private Property and public roadways are mostly covered by road patrol units in cars or 4x4 F150s. Public safety is first and foremost. Unless a violent felony has occured, PBSO will pursue just long enough to verify the subject is refusing to yeild to lights and siren and to get a clothing/vehicle description.
J.D.
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2005, 09:50:19 AM »

I understand . I worked the exotics in the Catchment area for a long time and I understand the importance of protecting these areas but this problem is only going to get worse . I have hit so many dead ends trying to get the area in Indian town I get frustrated . Over the last 5 years I worked with the US Army Corps Of Engineers on the St. Johns river and I know there are many places we could use without destroying the ecosystem but still it is just frustrating !

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2005, 09:54:56 AM »

Yea, Mullet, your right, but I'll leave that up to someone higher up the food chain then me.
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2005, 10:06:13 AM »

Thanks to FWC and PBSO for signing on and shedding some light on the subject of riding in PB county.

Now that we are all communicating and have answered the question more than 100 times...It's our turn to take some action and find out how we can put more pressure on the State to get these places that FWC spoke about approved..

Hey FWC, is there some place we can go to monitor the progress of these proposals to approve land use for ATV's?? Why does this seem to be such a secretive thing?? Is it just the red tape, or can we really have a influence on making this process speedy by lobbying?? Who do we lobby to?? Is your fine estimation and knowledge of the system, will we be heard and will our efforts get any response???

It seems like both you and PBSO have a wish list that includes having a place where we will not be making you look like "bad guys". Perhaps all of our collective efforts can bring some real justice to this situation.

ATV's are a real blast and us riders, families and members of ATV Florida are the most concerned individuals you can approach. All we want is to be left alone so we can ride and have fun...

Maybe you guys from FWC and PBSO can meet with some of us and discuss a direction we can take legally to make some real progress...I'd love to get involved in this forum.

tvman  
J.D.
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2005, 10:10:34 AM »

I second that !

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2005, 10:11:37 AM »

Your right JD, I do understand the frustration. Try being the one doing the enforcement!! The problem is getting worse because ATV sales have boomed and places to ride them is falling. Thats why FWC-LT and I chose to open lines of communication so that everyone would understand the situation from all aspects. Speaking of enforcement, it looks like I'm going to get wet today. Hint Hint.......
J.D.
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2005, 10:16:38 AM »

Cool  [smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2005, 10:18:59 AM »

Your right tvman, we'll see what we can work out. Until then, try to understand, FWC-LT and I are more at the enforcement level of the "food chain" and getting those higher up involved sometimes takes some manuvering. Getting my poncho out, hint hint......
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2005, 10:23:22 AM »

PBSO, ok you were the one that wrote the report. Now I know which one you were. Yes, you and your partner were cool with us! It still stinks it cost me $190 and a day off of work. I could of spent the money on my little boy and spent the day off having fun with him, instead I spent it with a bunch of low lifes. Next time will send the lawer. It was funny , my buddy and I could tell exactly who was there for riding quads compared to the others there. It would be these guys dressed descent and acting respectfull, compared to these real criminals. Pretty sad. We all need to get on the same page to figure something out.
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2005, 10:31:57 AM »

PBSO, stay dry.
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »

Hey PBSO:

Have a wet day...

Keep the lines of communication open...

Hey..who's the first guy on the top of the "food chain" we need to start yanking???

tvman
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »

When you register an ATV the fee minus two dollars is given to the Division of Forestry.  Here is the specific statute:

317.0010  Disposition of fees.--The department shall deposit all funds received under ss. 317.0001-317.0013, less administrative costs of $2 per title transaction, into the Incidental Trust Fund of the Division of Forestry of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Well that does not seem to be fair for the FWC which right now is the only agency that is giving ORV users a legal place to ride in Broward and Palm Beach County.  Some of this money should be going to FWC to help maintain current ORV areas and maybe even open new ones.  Anyways thank you FWC-LT for responding and your information.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com