Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to Legally Ride in Palm Beach County  (Read 108430 times)
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

Thanks Grizz, Thrasher
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 05:48:10 PM by PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 » Logged
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 06:16:25 PM »

PBSO, I was not bashing you. Most people on this site that do not live in Palm Beach County do not know the price of the tickets. That is why I mentioned it. I think that you responding to us means that you do truly care. As far as the "secret spots" we know that they are not secret to PBSO. It was posted as a joke since we have nowhere to ride. It's location as you see was actually posted. Anytime you want to ride let me know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 06:27:23 PM »

bluesman, Environmental grants paid for the unit's equipment. Most of the unit's members have 18 plus years with PBSO. While the unit's normal job is patrolling Natural Areas, we also conduct search and rescue/downed aircraft, assist with apprehending suspects fleeing into wooded areas, assist in locating missing persons, lost boaters/hunters, recover stolen vehicles/ATVs from wooded areas and provide mutual aid to other counties. During the hurricanes, we patrolled flooded areas like Jupiter Farms.
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »

Thanks Custom, I let you know.
mudman8024

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 06:55:05 PM »

First of all I would like to thank PBSO for taking an interest in this message board, and posting here.  I see this as a positive step towards the future of ATVing in Florida.  Once the local governments, law enforcment, and ATV enthusiasts can come together and find some middle ground maybe there will be more places to legally ride in florida.  As others have already said, most ATV riders are family oriented, law abiding people, but it's the few that are ruining things for the rest of us.   The same goes for the Sheriff's department, A few bad officers can leave a bad taste in the mouth of the public. PBSO seems to be sympathetic to the situation of ATV'ers in Palm Beach County, and any bitterness towards the department shouldn't be directed at him.  I have a Deputy in my family (PBSO, if you care to private message me I will tell you who), and he will be the first to tell you  that most officers don't enjoy writing tickets and arresting people,  however they have a job to do.  Even if they don't agree with the rules they are enforcing it is still there duty to do so.
Exmx54
Supreme Member

MX rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 07:43:11 PM »

Yeah, I think the need for an ATV park in every county is definetly there. Just a little something for the people that pay taxes, work hard for a living, and purchase ATV's for fun can have a nice place to go and have some fun with friends on the weekends. I personally ride only at MX tracks, but for all the trail riders out there, they definetly have nowhere to go, and I guess if we just keep writing the letters to the commisioners, no litering on the little amount of land we can ride on, and ride responcibly, our voice will be heard. PBSO- I think you may have one of the hardest jobs on the force, there are so many immature kids, that just wont listen to anybody, go out and ride with two people on there quads, no helmets, speeding, litering, riding across main roads and such. I am only 15, but at least my parents have taught me the responcibility needed to ride safely.
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2005, 04:15:15 AM »

The whole situation sucks! I would rather the county spend our tax money on enforcing public road laws and catching dui suspects. I wonder how many people have been killed in automobile accidents last year while the sherriff officers were out riding there atv's and off-road trucks trying to catch litterers? You want to catch litterers why don't you stop people from throwing their cigarette butts out at intersections? I would rather see you clean up these areas that I frequent while on the way to work than catching someone from throwing a piece of drywall in a nature area. Those are not really nature areas anyways. They are just saving those areas for big developers. Ultimately there will not be any more nature areas for them to patroll and then they will go back to sitting around eating donuts.    

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 08:12:26 AM »

THIS HAS BEEN AN INTERESTING THREAD TO READ. THE RESPONSES RANGE FROM SYMPATHETIC TO ANGRY.

But the overall consensus is that us members on ATV Florida are sharing our frustration with the local government taking our tax dollars (from ATV sales) and not distributing it's use towards where the dollars are earmarked to be spent..

IS'NT THIS CRIMINAL??? WHY ISN'T SOMEONE WITH LEGAL AUTHORITY PURSUING THIS KIND OF FLAGRANT "LARCENY" OR "THEFT OF FUNDS"Huh  

HEY PBSO, CAN YOU RECOMMEND WHERE WE CAN GO TO GET SOME JUSTICE TO THIS CRIME???

It seems like you are genuine and willing to serve the best interest of all, within the LAW.

I'm sure you are taking some heat on this website, and it's really not your fault. But, the can of worms has been opened and you can surely see the results.

WHAT"S FAIR IS FAIR... SO THE REAL QUESTION HERE IS WHETHER YOU ARE WILLING TO HELP US ATTAIN WHAT'S RIGHTFULLY OURS?Huh

WE AWAIT YOUR RESPONSE..

TVMAN    
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2005, 08:44:57 AM »

I think we are all directing our frustration to the wrong person.  We need to send these messages to the people in charge of the land like the county, FWC, and the state.  I think if enough people complained to the FWC in Palm Beach County and attended there meetings that would produce more results than anything else.  If there going to allow Scripps to build there building in a natural area then I don't see any reason why they can't allow a small section for ATV's.
That would be a great message to send to the FWC who runs Corbett.  Thank you PBSO for your information.
J.D.
Supreme Member

I can see the concrete slowly creepin .

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2005, 08:51:38 AM »

It seems to me that you can ride the sidewalks and streets in RIVIERA beach without getting in trouble . I see dirtbikes gassing up at the gas stations all the time  , even with the RIV police officers sitting 50 yards across the street . I dont know what permits you have to get , but they seem to be available .........I guess you have a permit for your local neighborHOOD ! Why do these people seem to be riding unmolested in the streets on New Shiny Dirtbikes and Banshees while those who try to get out of harms way are HARRASED ? My best guess ....$$$$$$$$$$$$$ or the lack of .

Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »

I don't mean to be a jerk to you. I'm just frustrated. There are good things that come of your patrols. I do remeber a time when there was lot's of dumping. That has all but stopped now.
I just dread the thought of being fined /arrested, and/or my quad being siezed for doing what we do. There are some good points brought up here. Like the way things are in certain parts of town with a sense of lawlessness (SP?) Real criminals deserve punishment that is life changing. Guy and gals riding around in what will be dozed and gated golf course soon should  not be treated the same way.
I'm just frustrated. I want to ride! I want my ATV back. I want justice.
Oh and the thing about JW Corbitt... you are beating a dead horse.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 06:55:38 PM »

Thanks for all the responses, even the bashing ones....Gamer has it right though, your frustration needs to be directed to the right people. Bashing those that do the enforcement doesn't help the situation at all. It has to be changed from the top. As for the traffic enforcement issues wilburz mentioned, PBSO has a traffic divison, (561) 688-3700. I also have no control over how other police agencies enforce traffic laws. I expected bashing when I opened this can of worms. That's the nature of the beast. But I also feel most of you appreciate an open line of communication with those who do the enforcement. I'd rather ride all day and not have to write one ATV citation, than write one to a lady riding down a paved public roadway with her 4 year old daughter riding on the gas tank without a helmet......To answer TVMAN's question, I'm currently helping all of you attain your goals by keeping everyone as safe as we can.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 06:58:56 PM by PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 » Logged
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2005, 03:56:13 AM »

Dear MR. Sherriff

Is there any way that we can start a atv citizen patrol unit on some natural area? How about taking one or two of us on patroll with your posse one night. I would like to be first in line. Thanks.

Wilburz

12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
BigDog

Big Dogs do it BEST!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2005, 04:22:48 AM »

Great idea wilburz.  It would certainly give us a chance to get a real view of what PBSO has to deal with.  I would like be second in line with you.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg

I am a Florida Mud Rider........and PROUD of it!!
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2005, 07:40:20 AM »

PBSO:

Thanks for your replies and interest.

I'm thrilled to hear that you are opening a line of communication with ATV Florida members. For the most part you will find that we are families with children that are just looking for some fun and recreation. We are not criminals or malicious people. Yes, there are a few bad apples, but they will find justice..

As I have said in my previous email, we need to find the right person to target our energy towards...We also need a good attorney. Hopefully on that shares our interest and can do a little digging on the cuff...

Perhaps as a member of ATV Florida you can help us in that fight. You certainly realize our frustrations and can sympathize with our position. Can you make any suggestions or give us a direction we have not exposed??

tvman    
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2005, 07:56:05 AM »

PBSO

Would it be possible for a group of us to volunteer to pick up litter or repair gates or something at these nature areas? I am sure you would be able to feild a large group and maybe that might increase our credibility with the community and the PBSO. Just a thougth.  

12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »

I agree with Tv & Wilburz we are hard working average family people, just having a little fun. I got one of your $190 tax fund. No warning just here you go. I pay major taxes to live out in the acreage, why don't they use my tax dollars the way I want!!!!! Like a gang task force or maybe a task force to catch the people stealing the atvs. registering them is not going to solve the problem, just bring in more revenue for the county. When your atv is stolen you give the serial # in the report , so you have the vin# anyway even without it being register. I hope as an officer you understand what happens when you go to court for these silly infactions because obviously some of you do not. The officer who gave the trespass said that it not much of anything. I found out different, community service or a fine. What a joke not only do I pay for you guys but, they wanted me to work for you. Pay the fine. What a waste of the courts time, my time, and everyone elses. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2005, 11:56:40 AM »

This topic should be made a sticky so all the other organizations that have been "monitoring" this website can step up and take some "heat" also and answer well placed question from the citizens in their jurisdiction.

P.S. props to PBSO4 for the following coment in the stolen section Wink

Just letting you guys know the info you post on this website helps us look for and recover ATVs....Thanks

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:03:17 PM by Asphaltdragon » Logged

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2005, 01:50:14 PM »

I would volunteer for a clean up day. It would not get us an area but might show a different side to some people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
FWC-LT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2005, 04:41:48 PM »

Hello,

Im a supervisor with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) here in Palm Beach County.  I have been reading this web site for a couple of months now and decided to follow the path of PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 and help answer some questions.

First of all there are some legal places in Palm Beach County to ride.  The largest areas are Holeyland WMA, Rottenberger WMA and Everglades WMA. All three of these WMA's are located in Palm Beach County off of US 27.  As of right now Holeyland and Rottenbereger are closed to vehicle traffic due to Fawning season (When the doe deer have their fawns) both of these areas will reopen April 30.  The Everglades is open to vehicle use.  Of course as the rainy season approaches the areas will flood out making ATV use impossible depending on how much water we get.

As far as allowing ATV's in Corbett WMA in Northern Palm Beach County.  This WMA has a rule that no vehciles with a smaller wheel base than 60 inches is allowed in the area.  

The state is working on opening land for ATV use.  When will this happen I dont know.  I know that Division of Forestry is the agency that is working on this and has started the process of opening a few ATV parks in the state.  

You need to keep in mind that it not as easy as the state saying ok this area is now open as an ATV area.  There are a lot of considerations to look at.  I dont know all of them but here is a few....  1) What is the purpose of the land?  Some lands have specific uses and cannot be used for ATV's for example SFWMD has a lot of land that is being used for Storn Water Treatment Areas for Everglades Restoration.  In these areas polutants are filtered from the water and enters the soil.  So, you cannot disturb the soil or the preocess wont work.  2)  How was the land purchased?  Some the Federal Funding and other sources that pay for land states how the land can be used.  Such areas might come with restrictions such as passive recreational use (no motor vehicles) or limited access to motor vehicles.  3)  Who is the land manager?  Some agencies buy the property but another agency might manage it.  Such and Holeyland, Rottenburger and the Everglades is owned by SFWMD but is managed by FWC.  4)  What is the status of the land?  Some property is purchased for state use but first has to move through the process of being evaluated, deciding what use will be allowed, what needs to be done to the land, etc.  This process can take a long time to get the process complete and then the process starts for preparing the land for public use, such as removing exotic plants, building pumpstations, building access roads, etc.  The agencies cannot open the land for public use until this process is complete and any and all construction is completed.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.  PLease feel free to respond or to email me at my email address.  
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2005, 05:25:34 PM »

I would like to thank FWC for taking the time to join this site and respond to our dilema. It is nice to know that some people involved are actually taking the time to answer some of our questions.    

Do you know what the state is doing with the title money that is being collected?

Do you know the specific people at the forestry department that we can email or contact to voice our concerns?      

12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Thrasher
Supreme Member

i have a headache...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2005, 05:36:14 PM »

Welcome FWC-Lt and thanx for your input and info.

granted I don't live near there nor have ridden down there, but still, thanx for the info for those who do!

2 x 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twins, w/Warn 3000/2500 winches, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage,  Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, 27" Outlaws, Mud chunks, a lil tin can Cheesy

Out to pis
Redgrizzly660

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »

A couple of month I saw LT Reed at Holey land and spoke to him about the problem we have about riding . I gave him a  card with my name and the this site  and told him to ckeck us out. I was just  wondering if he gave u my card.

Grizz
FWC-LT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2005, 06:05:14 PM »

When you register an ATV the fee minus two dollars is given to the Division of Forestry.  Here is the specific statute:

317.0010  Disposition of fees.--The department shall deposit all funds received under ss. 317.0001-317.0013, less administrative costs of $2 per title transaction, into the Incidental Trust Fund of the Division of Forestry of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Check out this web site!!!  It has a bunch of info concerning ATV riding in the State.  It has a link to a memo from the commissioner of the agency that talks about a off highway vehcile advisory committee that can be used as a starting point for contacts.

http://www.fl-dof.com/forest_recreation/OHV_index.html

Grizz - Lt. Reed and I work together he did not give me your card but we have discussed this site.
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2005, 09:49:50 PM »

Thanks FWC-LT for the assistance!! Hopefully the information we provide will bring some resolve to the current ATV issues. I'll get with you on more detailed info about the management areas so I can point riders into the right direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com