Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to Legally Ride in Palm Beach County  (Read 108311 times)
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

PBSO Agricultural Crimes Detective

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 13, 2005, 11:37:17 PM »

After addressing a number of ATV issues today, I decided to register on your website and share some information with you. I'm a deputy sheriff with PBSO and assigned to the "Wildlands Task Force." Our unit primarily patrols the Natural Areas by way of ATVs, 4x4 trucks and helicopters. The Natural Areas are posted with brown/white letter signs stating "Posted Natural Area, No Vehicles, No Dumping, No Hunting." Despite being clearly posted and fenced, some ATV riders still choose to cut fences and dig around concrete barricades. The aftermath is large amounts of trash/beer cans left in the area and damage to the wetlands. I commend those of you who do the right thing by riding legal and safe. In PBC, ATVs can only be operated on private property that you own or have permission to be on. Posted or not, if your riding on property you do not own or have the owner's permission to be on, your trespassing. Berms, fencing, canals and barricades meet statute 810.09 requirements for trespass. As for "secret" riding areas, we learn of them mostly through citizen complaints of loud exhausts, riding/racing on public roadways, reckless riding and littering. Between Jupiter Farms, Palm Beach Country Estates and The Acreage, we receive about 30-50 ATV/Dirtbike complaints a day. When road patrol deputies attempt traffic stops on them, they run. Fleeing and Eluding is a felony. When caught, the offender goes to jail and the ATV/Dirtbike is seized. The riders generating these complaints are the reason more and more riding areas are lost.
I hope this has been informative. Again, I commend those of you doing the right thing and your website for providing info for legal places to ride in the state.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 11:39:25 PM by PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 » Logged
Thrasher
Supreme Member

i have a headache...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 03:12:42 AM »

Welp, I guess that cleared that up...

thanx for the info....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 03:13:11 AM by Thrasher » Logged

2 x 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twins, w/Warn 3000/2500 winches, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage,  Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, 27" Outlaws, Mud chunks, a lil tin can Cheesy

Out to pis
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:08:39 AM »

[smiley=Cry.gif]  So do you know when the State is going to give us land?  They must have a ton of money by now with all of the ATV sales we have had in the last year.  Not all of us act/ride like Idiot's, State/County ATV land/Park might help you guy's out also.  I can't believe we the State can't give us a piece of JW Corbett Wildlife Management Area, that place is So huge the State could fence off 2500 acres for off-road riders and it would'nt put a dent in the Wildlife area.

sk8r_dude
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 09:35:04 AM »

Am I missing something or has Palm Beach County banned the riding of ATV's? If this is the case, why do they allow the sale of these evil machines in the county? I am sure the county benefits from our tax dollars in titling fees and sales tax on sold units. This is taxation without representation. Each County should be forced to provide an area for ORV use. Some day Government officials are going to figure out that the reason they are receiving so many complaints is that we are forced to ride in ares we shouldn't because they refuse to solve the problem and provide proper riding areas for us that won't disturb others. How about it sherriff? Instead of ticketing us and confiscating our property how about helping us in the spirt of community policing?

05 Grizzly 660, 2500 winch, Garmin 276c GPS, Quad Boss trunk

05 Grizzly 660 Camo, 2500 winch, Quad Boss trunk 

http://www.beachinlineskates.com/
http://www.123skate.com/
http://www.store.yahoo.com/beachinlineskates/
http://www.authorized-sunglasses-watches.com
BigDog

Big Dogs do it BEST!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 09:36:08 AM »

I agree with kawGIRL and sk8r_dude, it is time the state starts doing something for ATV's.  They have had plenty of time to collect the "tax" they put on the sales.  I do not know of any of us that want to break the law by riding where we are not supposed to, but we sure would like somewhere to ride legally.  The idiots that do not clean up after themselves and destroy other peoples property do give us a black eye, but they need to be monitored and enforced anywhere we get to ride, either by officials or by the responsible riders.  

There are a lot of enthusiasts on this site that will help champion the cause if we can get any type of movement from the state or local officials. In St. Lucie County we had standing room only in a commission meeting and will fill the room again when the time comes.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 09:42:13 AM by BigDog » Logged

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg

I am a Florida Mud Rider........and PROUD of it!!
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 09:53:05 AM »

I see the County is working with the State on Land exchange for Scripps  Shocked  

How About US?

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/es/corbett/index.html

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/es/corbett/faq.html

Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 11:50:44 AM »

When PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4 said he was assigned to a Wildlands Task Force I got excited for a second thinking that just maybe they might be looking for an area for ATV's.  But it was the complete opposite.  What I love about government agencys is that there allowed to drive there ATV's and 4*4 trucks in the natural areas but nobody else is.  What you really need to tell your superiors Deputy is that the common sence solution is to find an area for ATV riders to ride.  This would solve most of your problems.  The State, PBC, FWC, and Water Management own a bunch of land in that county.  They need to get together and make a decision on where to allow ATV's.  Theres even grant money available for City's and Countys that want to do this.  Until this happens illegal riding will continue and the best way to stop it is to ban the sale of ATV's.
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 12:26:15 PM »

Until this happens illegal riding will continue and the best way to stop it is to ban the sale of ATV's.

Yes Mr. Officer please contact the ALL the dealers in florida and tell them that they CANNOT sell anymore ATV's because of the lack of legal places for citizens to oporate them.

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 12:49:59 PM »

Folks, we are sympathetic to the problem. I agree, my job would be much easier if every county had an ATV park. Unfortunately, I have no control over that. It's between you and your County Commisioners and state officials. ATVs aren't banned in PBC anymore than guns are. It's just there are laws that govern there use. Those we issue tickets to or arrest are clearly riding on public roadways or trespassing on posted property/Natural Areas. As for us driving in Natural Areas, we are restricted to trails designated by the state/county. It's because of trespassing and dumping we are mandated to patrol there.
BCConviber
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »

All the more reason to keep your "secret spots" secret...

2007 660 Rhino Sport
2007 700 Grizzly, Realtree camo
**FMR FOR LIFE**
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 01:03:59 PM »

All the more reason to keep your "secret spots" secret...

[smiley=ThumbsUp.gif]

PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »

I agree with you!! I can assure you, we don't want to know.....
Asphaltdragon
Supreme Member

Florida Atv Rally Sponsor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 01:12:50 PM »

I agree with you!! I can assure you, we don't want to know.....

Thank you for responding to our feelings. Wink

Yellow '02 Honda 400 EX +ATP
Yellow '01 Bombardier Traxter XT
Orange '02 DS 650 Baja
BigDog

Big Dogs do it BEST!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 01:29:28 PM »

Deputy, I for one do not have a beef with you doing your job.  From your taking the time to come to this forum and help educate by giving your view of things it shows you are one of the officers that is more likely to give one of us a fair shake.  I have been stopped before while out riding and it was a friendly encounter and I was just asked to pack it in for the day, a very reasonable approach.  I have heard lots of stories about less friendly encounters, and I am sure they may have been the result of the rider being less respectful.

Thanks for taking the time here.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg

I am a Florida Mud Rider........and PROUD of it!!
Deadmullet

Reality Is An Illusion Caused By Lack Of Alcohol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 02:57:09 PM »

[smiley=Cry.gif]  So do you know when the State is going to give us land?  They must have a ton of money by now with all of the ATV sales we have had in the last year.  Not all of us act/ride like Idiot's, State/County ATV land/Park might help you guy's out also.  I can't believe we the State can't give us a piece of JW Corbett Wildlife Management Area

They do let buggies and everything else ride in there.

05' Foreman 500 S
26" ITP type 5/ 589's
K&n air filter,HMF utility,Dynojet kit,leakshield
Stik Guards,Front bash plate
Snorkit Snorkel
Ram"beverage"holder
mudnuri
Supreme Member

06 YFZ

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 03:20:20 PM »

This whole issue makes me sick.
You guys are out there patrolling areas that I grew up in, on the very machines you are looking for. I say damn hypocrites.
I have been going to the same place for about 40 years now. It still looks the same as it did 40 years ago. What damage? Why don't they make a "Anti Developer Task Force" ? You would save a lot more woods.
Hey I have a great idea! Why don't you and your task force go find my ATV that was stolen and PBSO let get away?
Yeah, thanks so much for coming here and telling us the law. I turned to PBSO for help and you guys totally let the thieves go. I wasted a perfectly good 911 call. What a joke.
You would probably call a frigging helicoptor to catch us riding out in the woods.
It's funny how real life is so screwed up.

Brian Morris
06 YFZ
FTR#108 SENIOR
Don't litter
Respect life
mud-n-ur-i
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 04:37:49 PM »

Stolen, I've read the forum concerning your situation and I in lack of a better word, it sucks. Thats one of the reasons ATVs/Dirt bikes are titled/registered now so we can run the VIN and determine the owner. Before they were registered, we would stop a bike and run the VIN, only to have it come back clear with no owner info. Without that, we couldn't contact the owner and confirm if it was stolen. As for pursuits, we have to side on public safety concerning your stolen ATV. Our system and courts aren't perfect, as I have to deal with it all the time, but it's what we have to work with. We've recovered a number of ATVs, however it sucks when you think about the one that got away.
LIV2RIDE
Supreme Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 05:07:51 PM »

After addressing a number of ATV issues today, I decided to register on your website and share some information with you. I'm a deputy sheriff with PBSO and assigned to the "Wildlands Task Force." Our unit primarily patrols the Natural Areas by way of ATVs, 4x4 trucks and helicopters. The Natural Areas are posted with brown/white letter signs stating "Posted Natural Area, No Vehicles, No Dumping, No Hunting." Despite being clearly posted and fenced, some ATV riders still choose to cut fences and dig around concrete barricades. The aftermath is large amounts of trash/beer cans left in the area and damage to the wetlands. I commend those of you who do the right thing by riding legal and safe. In PBC, ATVs can only be operated on private property that you own or have permission to be on. Posted or not, if your riding on property you do not own or have the owner's permission to be on, your trespassing. Berms, fencing, canals and barricades meet statute 810.09 requirements for trespass. As for "secret" riding areas, we learn of them mostly through citizen complaints of loud exhausts, riding/racing on public roadways, reckless riding and littering. Between Jupiter Farms, Palm Beach Country Estates and The Acreage, we receive about 30-50 ATV/Dirtbike complaints a day. When road patrol deputies attempt traffic stops on them, they run. Fleeing and Eluding is a felony. When caught, the offender goes to jail and the ATV/Dirtbike is seized. The riders generating these complaints are the reason more and more riding areas are lost.
I hope this has been informative. Again, I commend those of you doing the right thing and your website for providing info for legal places to ride in the state.

Welcome to the site!!!
It sounds like you are well informed. Especially on the part of already knowing that most of us here on this site are great people who abide by the law.  Although like anywhere else, you get a few bad with the good.
Again, Welcome and stick around. Your info could prove to be very helpful and our members could learn something from it maybe.

Corey

Check out  --------------------------> www.quadsforchrist.net
customrubicon
Supreme Member

It's Time To ride, B4 The Mud Gets Dry !!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 05:08:19 PM »

PBSO,

I think that it is nice to hear from a deputy on this site. We know that you guys read this site and for you to post info. to us is appreciated. I have lived here for 21 years and have been riding in the okeechobee woods since the day I moved here. The last three years or so I have not been there because of the natural areas. The group that I ride with atleast and most anyone here that I know of.  I use to ride at the towers and others. Now we have nowhere to ride. It is too profiable for the county to allow an area for riding. The $ 190.00 ticket is very profitable and is better than buliding a park. The county can keep the tax money and arrest people at $ 190.00 a pop. I would love to have your job but would not last long. Do you ride on your days off ? I ride with a couple PBSO officers on some weekends. I have found that many do ride. Well thank you for your time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/customrubicon/fmrsig-2.jpg

2003 rubicon
2002 kingquad
2004 LRX 90
2004 LRX 50
1979 bronco
2004 rhino
Thrasher
Supreme Member

i have a headache...

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 05:09:16 PM »

he's just doing his job, he ain't makin the rules...

2 x 2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twins, w/Warn 3000/2500 winches, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage,  Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, 27" Outlaws, Mud chunks, a lil tin can Cheesy

Out to pis
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:13:26 PM »

More for Stolen, Like you, I grew up here and patrol the same areas I used to ride in as a teen. I also used to race motocross. Yea, it's ironic. I'm with you on the developer thing as the traffic is getting worse and the woods are disappearing. I don't blame you for your bitterness about all this. One reason the woods look the same is our patrolling it. Since the hurricanes, I lost track of the people we caught trying to dump debris and roofing materials out there. As for us patrolling on ATVs and trucks, you know the terrain out there. To enforce laws concerning ORVs you have to be on one. I wouldn't have registered on this website and posted this topic if I didn't care about whats going on.  
Redgrizzly660

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 05:28:27 PM »

I wouldn't have registered on this website and posted this topic if I didn't care about whats going on.  

Thanks

Grizz
PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 05:34:14 PM »

Thanks LIV2RIDE, Custom......Again, I wish this county had an ATV park so I could direct people in the right direction. Yea, most of us have personal ATVs and are stuck in the same boat as everyone else. Just keep that place near the Regal a secret. I don't ride much when I'm off because I'm on the work ATV 30-40hrs a week. Days off are usually maintenace days it seems.
bluesman
Supreme Member

03 ds650baja/03kfx 400/ 03kfx 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 05:39:43 PM »

PBSO,ITS NICE TO SEE MY TAX MONEY BEING SPENT ON THIS BS.WHY WASNT THE CHOPPER CALLED OUT WHEM MY HOUSE WAS BROKEN INTO????WHY DO YOUR SIGNS SAY <NO TRESPASSING> ENDAGERED SPEICES HABITAT??? AND 3 MONTHS LATER ITS BULLDOZED FOR A STRIP MALL.GUESS BULLDOZERS DONT DO MORE DAMAGE THEN MY ATV.I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE A COUPLE OF HONEST COPS OUT THERE BUT MY FAITH IN THIS DOUBLE STANDERED  LEADS ME TO BELEIVE THAT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO CHASE AND FINE CLEAN FUN LOVEING ATVERS.THEN TO CHASE THE REAL CROOKS... DRUGGIES,RAPEST,BURGLERS, PUSHERS,AND WIFE BEATERS,,AND IAM TIRED OF THE OLD LINE I AM JUST DOING MY JOB!!!! Cool
bluesman
Supreme Member

03 ds650baja/03kfx 400/ 03kfx 450

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 05:46:09 PM »

PS.IF YOU NEED ANY HELP ILL BRING MY COPY OF THE STATUES AND BE GLAD TO RIDE AROUND ON MY DAY OF TO HELP FIND THE REAL PROBLEMS IAM SURE I CAN FIND MANY LAW BREAKERS THAT YOU CAN TASER....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com