Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ITS ALL OVER FOR PB COUNTY  (Read 2657 times)
SomBch

beer....its whats for dinner

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2007, 09:11:20 AM »

County considers keeping ATVs off roadways

By Lester J. Davis

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Under pressure from the sheriff's office and its residents, Palm Beach County is set to repeal a 4-month-old state law today that placed all-terrain vehicles on equal footing with pickups and sedans.

The state law allowing ATVs on unpaved roadways during the daytime, where the speed limit is less than 35 mph, was adopted Oct. 1.

The bill, however, allows local municipalities to opt out of the law.

And the county has scheduled a hearing for 9:30 this morning to consider doing just that.

On Dec. 5, St. Lucie County's commissioners voted unanimously to opt out of the law.

In a July 20 memo, the sheriff's office warned the county that allowing ATVs to share congested roadways with motor vehicles could be a dangerous mix.

"Traffic conditions in PBC (Palm Beach County) can be challenging for experienced, licensed drivers," wrote Palm Beach County Sheriff's Deputy John Gibson. "An unlicensed, inexperienced 11-year-old ... riding a camouflage-colored ATV along a tree-lined roadway will complicate this further."

Marcio Mayorga, sales manager at Palm Beach Cycles, said he understands the safety concerns surrounding the debate. But the recklessness of a few riders should not place a bad name on all ATV riders, he said.

"There are a lot of responsible owners out there who use these machines properly," said Mayorga, whose shop on North Military Trail sells several hundred ATVs a year. "But there are always a few bad apples out there that unfortunately spoil it for the good ones."

The industry that regulates ATVs has done a good job teaching retailers the importance of preaching safety to their customers, Mayorga said.

There are age restrictions on ATVs and Palm Beach Cycles adheres to those standards, he said.

"If a parent comes in here looking for an ATV for their child, I immediately ask how old the kid is," said Mayorga, who noted that there are several sizes of ATVs, based on body type and age.

But the dangers posed by the machines have not slowed their popularity.

The exact number of ATVs on area roadways is unclear, but the number of people applying for permits with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has risen.

In 2005, 34,604 titles were issued. In 2006, that number increased to 36,721, according to the department.

In the four months since the law took effect, the county has gathered feedback and charted a course toward repealing the law, said the county's legislative affairs director, Todd Bonlarron.

"I've gotten a lot of e-mails from people who are supporting" repealing the state law on Palm Beach County roadways, Bonlarron said.

County Commissioner Jess Santamaria said he plans to vote in favor of repealing the law during today's council session.

"I'm 100 percent in support of anything that promotes safety and prevents injury and loss of life," he said.

In the end, nothing replaces common sense when dealing with ATVs, Mayorga said.

Allowing a child to ride an adult-sized ATV is "like giving the keys to a brand new Corvette to a 10-year-old."

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GENIUS AND STUPID IS THAT GENIUS HAS ITS LIMITS.
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:42:28 AM »

I saw that. I think it is a stupid law anyway. I know it is just one more thing they are taking away but, it is giving us more bad press than good.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
dnigels

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05:21 AM »

It's official!  County Commission voted 7-0 in favor of opting out.

'06 Yamaha 350 Wolverine
'06 Yamaha PW80
'07 Chevy Silverado 1500 Ext.cab
americanhighlander
Supreme Member

I love boating and fourwheeling,salt water fishing

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »

I'll guess all County Commissioners betray  Deal Boxer
all atv riders out  there, you guys should filed big  state lawsuit
with state of florida  on theses  jerks bescuase they passed new atv state
law while on this county last year,and this doesn't make any sense and i guess all
commissioners lie to you they knew what they were  doing,
I think every atv owner in county should filed high class action lawsult  Smash
with state of florida vs  Plam beach county commissioners..  Angry I'll think you should
sue heck out theses morons what they did to atv people down there for there riding rights!!!
So don't give up on fighting....

So call or email goverment  charle crist
about this what happen to you guys down there and
we need do you should get them under
invistgated down there with
PBC even commissioners  of there county  and Why they pass  new atv state during last year for PBC
and it doesn't make no sense becuase they turn it back sack it to all atv riders out there and to make  them look bad in media down there.Thats why you should email goverment of florida about this iuess, See what i'm saying about that.

So start writing very long email letters to charle crist ASAP about this..

This not right,this is wrong becuase they made deal to keep new atv law in place in
PBC Last year.. Angry

Here's email address
charlie.crist@myflorida.com 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 05:35:40 PM by americanhighlander » Logged

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362
Off Rode

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:13:58 PM »

Is it really any surprise.  Undecided They wrote it to fail from the beginning. Devil

I suppose they feel good about the CHANCE we had. Huh

Why anyone would write a law to allow minors to operate unlicensed motorized vehicles on regular roads Drive doesn't make sense, Wacko so it makes perfect sense that it FAILED Owie

Hope Holeyland survives..........

1987 Honda ATC 250sx
2000 Suzuki LTF250F
2000 Yamaha Breeze 125 (Sons)
2000 Yamaha Breeze 125 (Daughters)
sbripple

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:37:46 AM »

Nothing has changed for me.I will ride just like I did before the law.I stay close to home and expect to meet some more pbso gang members.I think the next ticket I will plead not guilty and get my day in court.I am installing the slow moving vehicle sign on back and will be driving my agriculteral vehicle around as I see fit.Most likely will cost me some lawyer money and or fines ,but I will find out.Federal law allows agriculteral vehicles to use the roads.I live in an agriculteral area,so I think it needs a test.This is total b.s. to have to be harrassed by these gangsters they call pbso and these fleabag politicians that wont help you unless you pay them large amounts of cash.
nascarfreak88

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:32:10 AM »

we should burn down their houses.

are there even any unpaved roads in PB county? and the camo thing, what about my buddies Camo F350? does that pose a threat to PB county too?? So if runs over one of these county people, they would be like "o dang, i i just i got ran over by a tree" come on now, how stupid can people be. Well its prolly for the old people... i think id rather have 14 year olds on ATVs then drive with elderly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:08:10 PM by nascarfreak88 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com