Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: broken peg bolts/ez-out  (Read 2758 times)
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »

I broke my left peg bolts off this past weekend, so i tried drilling the bolts out and using a ez-out to take the rest of the bolt out and the ez-out broke. Anyone know how to get the rest of the bolt and ez-out out?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 11:31:10 PM by atvtrailer » Logged

05 450r #13B
TRX450R_Racer
Retired Racer
Supreme Member

**** Frank **** **FF&J Racing**

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 08:42:12 AM »

Easy outs are junk.

Try punch and hammer, that always works for me. You can also try heat or maybe a left handed drill bit. It spins the oposite way and it will hopefully grab the bolt and back it out. Good luck.

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.
MOTOCROSS MAVERICK
Supreme Member

RACE LIKE ITS GOING TO BE YOUR LAST RACE!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »

the only thing you can do is try to drill it out. i did the same thing but i used a big enough drill to where all i needed was a tap to clean out the threads.

Mars
Supreme Member

When I feel athletic, I go to a sports bar.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »

The ez-out is harden and will be very hard to drill out but is possible. Try to get a good center punch and a new cobalt drill bit.
 If the bit won’t bite you may have to chip out the ez-out with a chisel. Wear safety glasses!

04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »

thanks for the help, the kobalt bits didn't want to even scratch it but found a site on google that suggested to use a dremel with a carbide stone and that slowly got the ez-out out, but now i cant get a drill bit to drill through one of the bolts(was able to drill the other bolt out). honda is giving me a new frame under warranty in a few weeks, so im just going to wait to ride til i get it(my current frame was already cracked on the other side)

05 450r #13B
RedPred05

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:43:27 PM »

I did the very same thing. I ended up getting a tiny drill bit to fit under my broken ezout, i just kept drilling and drilling arround the ezout until I could fit a mini screw driver in there and wiggle the remainder ezout out.  This took me a long time, upwards of an hour but I eventualy worked it out.
quad control

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »

I broke my left peg bolts off this past weekend, so i tried drilling the bolts out and using a ez-out to take the rest of the bolt out and the ez-out broke. Anyone know how to get the rest of the bolt and ez-out out?
The best way to get'em out is with a Heli arc welder ( if you have access to one ) just rebuild the broken bolt back up and form a T at the end of it, clamp your vise grip's on, add some heat/ WD-40 twist back and forth till it becomes loose and your in business. You can also use an arc welder but you better be good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com