Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winch Help  (Read 4116 times)
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2007, 06:33:04 PM »

Hey guys, ive got a winch issue. I have currently a busted 2000lb SuperwinchX1 on my quad. The rope is frayed, rusty, and in more knots then I have fingers to count. The switch had a run in with a bungee cord and lost so its broke. It only works in out mode. So basically I need a new one. I found one from another person on this site and its a a2000 by warn. He has the main cables and the winch itself for it but nothing else. So my question is this, what all would I need to get to have the winch im looking into working properly considering I already have some parts installed? Thanks...

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:32:29 PM »

Really? I would have never thought of that! Seriously guys nobody can help me out? Huh Huh

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
rubicon500kid
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:46:57 PM »

im pritty sure the winch will mount up to that mounting plate but im not sure you might be abel to use the conecters and stuff from the superwinch on the warn  here is the pics of the warn (it has a few scratchs but its from falling of the shelf and what not the last time i checked at school it works)

DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »

Umm no pic Shocked .

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:29:34 AM »

Save yourself the hastle of trying to use mismatched parts and rigging switches. Go on Ebay and purchase an Extreme or Venom winch kit. It will come with everything you need including the model specific mount.... and it will only cost you $100 or so. I have bought 4 of them in the last year for quads that I own or owned. 3 of my friends also have them on there quads. If you use them right, they will last just as long as the name brands. Between the 4 of us, we have only had one winch fail and it was because of the contactor coming unbolted and grounding, which is basically our fault.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500
2006 Honda Rincon 680 - Mine
2006 Honda Rancher 350 - Hers
2006 Carter Talon GX150IIR - Mini Hers
2005 Honda Recon 250 - Mini Hers
2004 Harley RoadKing FLHPI - Mine
2003 Airboat "Glades" SB Chevy 350 5 Blade Warp Drive

"If my signal is flashing, Im not asking permission"
Twerp

03 Rancher

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »

If your buying the winch and cables all you will need with a warn 2000 is a rocker switch and a solinoid.

MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »

Save yourself the hastle of trying to use mismatched parts and rigging switches. Go on Ebay and purchase an Extreme or Venom winch kit. It will come with everything you need including the model specific mount.... and it will only cost you $100 or so. I have bought 4 of them in the last year for quads that I own or owned. 3 of my friends also have them on there quads. If you use them right, they will last just as long as the name brands. Between the 4 of us, we have only had one winch fail and it was because of the contactor coming unbolted and grounding, which is basically our fault.
Yeah I saw some venom winch kits on ebay for like 129. The problem with that is the way my winch sits it is constantly gettting beat up and sometimes is completly underwater. So I want to buy a winch that I know will hold up and has been tested. Im not saying that the venoms are bad. I would just feel more comfortable with a winch that I know is good and will always work.

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 10:37:59 PM »

Yeah I saw some venom winch kits on ebay for like 129. The problem with that is the way my winch sits it is constantly getting beat up and sometimes is completely underwater. So I want to buy a winch that I know will hold up and has been tested. I'm not saying that the venom's are bad. I would just feel more comfortable with a winch that I know is good and will always work.

Trust Me!!!! Warn isn't as good as you think they are. It doesn't matter what one you buy, If you take care of it, it will last. I run into alot of people that have had plenty of problems with the Warns. Just think, for the price of a Warn you can have one mounted and one for a spare. Its all in the way you take care of it. They are all made with the same parts inside, some with different gears then others, but pretty much all the same stuff. With the extreme mudding we do, we still have minimal problems with the Venom's and Extremes. Just look at there feedback on Ebay, everyone is happy with them. Your just paying for the Warn name.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500

MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »

Yeah I decided to get a venom and try it out. We were just riding today and used the warn on my dads quad 3 times. We would have been still out there if it wasnt for it. But your right. You do get charged for the name. Hey how would you exaticly take "care" of the winch? Just rinse it out?

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
HVYHLR53

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 11:51:26 PM »

Yeah I decided to get a venom and try it out. We were just riding today and used the warn on my dads quad 3 times. We would have been still out there if it wasn't for it. But your right. You do get charged for the name. Hey how would you exaticly take "care" of the winch? Just rinse it out?

To start with, watch when you winch in, try to keep it spooling evenly. When winching in without a load on it stand on the cable or have someone pull on the cable while you roll it in. This will keep the cable from turning into a birds nest which will not only kink the cable, but will get tangled up and get caught between the housing and the drum. When winching someone out of the mud I always pull them all the way to me so the cable rolls nice and tight. It might sound like a pain in the rear, but its quicker then having to mess with it every time you go to pull it out.

When I clean my machines, I pull the cable all the way out and hose the mud off of it. I hose the winch down the best I can washing all the mud from it. When I'm done with cleaning I spray the winch and cable with WD40 then roll it back in. I never have any problems with my winches and I am running 3 of them now.

2006 Dodge Ram 1500

MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »

Yeah I knew the the whole rope retivial thing. I was just more concerned about washing it cause I ride allot of mud and it will probably see alot of water and crap. One more question, would you or anyone else reccomend switching to synthetic rope? I really would not have to have to worry about the fraying and knotting of wire and I have herd that syn is stronger. Just a thought. Thanks for all the advice. Smiley

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
USFfishing

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »

synthetic does last a long time. I loved using synthetic it is easier and safer to handle. if you pull your wire out and respool it every couple of months it should last a long time too.

07 Grizzly 700 red (ITP Holeshots/ITP type 7)
07 Grizzly 350 blue
2004 Ford F150 FX4
2006 Mercedes C230
1995 Winnebago Brave 31Q
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »

Yeah ive herd that. But its it more knot resistant and all that?

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com