Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticketed on your own property???  (Read 18690 times)
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2005, 08:38:24 AM »

Perhaps PBSO or someone else can respond to this dilemma.

I have a friend that owns 10 acres of property in Jupiter. He has made a small track through his property and the place is really cool..

Recently, neighbors started calling the police because the noise from riding was making their Saturday and Sunday afternoons less than perfect. After several complaints, the Jupiter Police responded and threatened to ticket the owner for disturbing the peace...Obviously the owner felt that since the property was "private", the police had absolutely no jurisdiction by coming on to his property.

Well, people contined to ride after the police left the scene and they returned again and ticketed the owner. This was at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon...This will go before a judge in Jupiter....Landmark case or what??? Ha! HA!

Let me add that there were supervising adults, no alcohol, no fires or destruction..Just families having fun with their kids. There were 6 people riding...

Do police have jurisdiction to come to your house and tell you to lower your radio too??

tvman    
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 08:43:26 AM »

That's BS!!!!!!!!!!! I can't see how they could do that during the day. People are out of control.
atvtrailer
Supreme Member

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 08:47:50 AM »

cops have come to my house before and given me warning, but they say its out of their jurisdiction to give me a ticket  because im legally riding on my own property and they said as long as i ride it durin the day then they have no problem with it, but they usually come out to tell me when they have been called and just say they cant really do anything, but they have said the guy has said the thing about me disturbing the peace, but havnt heard anything about that recently, they usually just come out and say ive been complained about, they have come out about 10-12 times so far :-/ and i only ride at like 1/4 throttle now to try to compromise with the old fart

05 450r #13B
honda_rider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 10:17:17 AM »

i think it is wrong for some old fart or some old bag to complain about you riding on your property and complain about the peace.the bike are not made to be super quit.if they dont like the noise then they should leave the area.
dirty2

a little crazy!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 11:23:30 AM »

Hey Tvman
Put a fence around your property and get yourself some
mean pit bull's put signs around the fence on your property
that say private property no policy beyond this fence
if your coming to tell me to stop riding forget it go and tell
every one thats cuting grass or making noise to stop,  its disturbing my peace.this is the USA were is my freedom  Angry Angry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 11:24:53 AM by dirty2 » Logged
Old_School
Supreme Member

It ain't fast without mixed gas....

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:23:52 AM »

That is bullchit! But it's ok for some senior citizen to fire up his lawnmover and cut the grass at 7am on a weekend. Nobody seems to complain about that. Noise is noise. The old farts in St.pete were complaining a few years back when the St. Pete Grand Prix comes to town. Loud F1 cars. Whaaa, they don't like they should move.  -Mark

Tell your friend to measure how many decibles the quads are putting out then fire up a lawnmover and show the comparison to the judge. There is not that much of a difference.  Or better yet give the me address of those neighbors and I'll swing by with my mustang with open headers and rev it up to 7000rpms at 4 a.m.   Grin   -Mark
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 11:30:42 AM by Old_School » Logged

90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd
prnstar123

let's ride!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 11:33:51 AM »

Maybe the judge will throw it out.. Huh

2005 yamaha yfz 450 (favorite toy)
2002 yamaha r1 (custom)
1999 Honda cbr 900 (stunt bike)
2004 Honda crf 50 (trick bike)
YFZ450AndyH

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 11:42:58 AM »

Was the ticket for violation of a noise ordinance, or for some type of moving (traffic) violation?  Im guessing it was for noise.  Law enforcement can not enforce traffic statutes on private property or gated communities unless there is an agreement with the owners of the property to do so.  

On the other hand, depending on how the noise ordinance is worded, they CAN act on that if it is an unreasonable amount of noise (which we all know that old farts think anything is unreasonable).  Usually, the ordinances cover night time hours, or parties with Live DJ's , or bands that will emit loud music.  

I dont work down south where you guys are, so what I am telling you is how it is up here.  Hope this helps. -Andy
tvman

tvman

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:46:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to tell my buddy to measure the noise decibels of a lawn mower and the bikes ans use that comparison.

My own personal opinion of this is that the Court cannot act on this and must throw the case out..The property is zoned agricultural and it's okay if you put 100 cows out there making noise and stinking up the air, but a few bikes gets the old farts all bent outta shape..

I like the pitbull thing too...His yard is fenced and gated, so that sign thing might get the police to think twice before driving in again... Only kidding!!!

I'd like to see the legal opinion if the owner posts the land with "No Tresspassing" signs.. Does the law have the right to enter?? Obviously if there was a crime being committed, and they were called, they would have a reason the enter, but for a noise complaint in the middle of the afternoon?  

Some people just have nothing better to do than complain and make noise.. What do they want our kids to do...go rob their house or something. This is just honest fun and nobody was bothering anyone....

Stay tuned for the details....Nice responses so far.

tvman
kawGIRL
is a Florida Mud Rider
Supreme Member

GOT GROG?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 12:56:18 PM »

WOW! Ed That Sucks  Shocked  
How loud is a gas powered chain saw or a gas powered weed eater?  My neighbor cranks up his gas powered pressure washer to clean EVERYTHING!  Angry  But that's OK....right?

FYI....
In PBC, ATVs can only be operated on private property that you own or have permission to be on. Posted or not, if your riding on property you do not own or have the owner's permission to be on, your trespassing.  

Wink

SoFlaEiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 01:10:55 PM »

if its during the day, i don't think there is a noise ordinance problem.  You can be pretty much as loud as you want until whatever time the city enforces noise levels until.

What about when we have heavy duty construction equipment on private property? Or pressure cleaners (as mentioned), or lawnmowers, jackhammers, or anything like that?

Tickets BS...goto court and WIN.  Easy as pie.
Vegas

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 04:35:37 PM »

First step is to see what statute they have you violating, (see statute number on your ticket).

The 2nd District Court of Appeals in Florida has determined that legal wording of certain "noise ordinances" in Florida are too subjective and vague, and can not be legally enforced without violating certain civil rights.

If your statute is for "noise", you may consider doing the following...

1) Look the violation up by statute number and look for any precedent setting cases in your area.

2) Hire a lawyer to research this for you, or if that's not affordable, you may consider making a minimum donation to the ACLU, and once you become a member, they provide free assistance in legal matters that they deem to be in violation of your civil liberties.

If the law enforcement officials didn't use any "decibel measuring" instruments to give you an exact number of decibels you achieved, the arguement of "subjectiveness" may apply. What's to say that a roofing contractor, or a landscaper, is any different from a recreational ATV rider with regards to excessive noise.

Typically noise ordinances are written with specific hours in the wording of the ordinances. If I remember correctly it's 10pm to 8am here in Lakeland, FL.

Good Luck
otto

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 06:56:28 PM »

In my experience, some people get annoyed when they see others having more fun than they are. Thus, an ATV is more annoying to them than a lawnmower or chainsaw at the same noise level. I can lend you a dB meter if you need one to help your case.  

05 King Quad
05 YFZ 450
RR Member
2Raptors

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 08:11:54 PM »

This is only one side of the story though.  I'm not an old fart, but if every weekend I had to listen to quads running around all day I'd be pissed too.  There should be some mutual respect between neighbors.  It may not be illegal, but it's pretty rude IMO.
bftclub

where's the mud at?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 08:20:13 PM »

dude thats messed up,,,i would in return call the police on them when they start there lawnmower......what the hell is this country coming to,,,your nieghbors are probally raft riders who have no business being here anyway.......i feel for you man...now i'm pissed off!!!!!!!!!!
Truegrit

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »

Obviously the owner felt that since the property was "private", the police had absolutely no jurisdiction by coming on to his property.

Well, people contined to ride after the police left the scene and they returned again and ticketed the owner.   

What makes you think police have no juristiction to enforce laws on private property. Can you not get a speed ing ticket in the mall parking lot, that is private property.

I am not saying I would not be upset too, but the cop asked them to stop and when he left everyone started up again. What did you expect was going to happen???

And if you are playing your stereo so loud that i tdisurbs your neighbors, they can ask you to turn it down.

Why don't they go down and confront the neighbors directly and find when would be a time that would be good for both of the concerned parties.

'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
http://www.hondaforeman.com/
Truegrit

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 08:40:06 PM »

It seems lie their must be a prior history between these folks.

'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
http://www.hondaforeman.com/
bftclub

where's the mud at?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 08:43:36 PM »

then ask the cop when would be a good time to ride on my private property,maybe you need to find a cop that likes to ride and invite him over for his kids to ride,,that would solve the problem,,maybe a sgt.or the captain!!
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 05:51:31 AM »

2raptors you need tp relax, but it's ok when your neighbor has two figgin' roosters that call all the time and a horse that stinks and makes noise and creates tons of flies. That's ok?Huh? But it's part of living in these areas, you agree? He likes to ride, it's not like your living on a zero lot line.
dirty2

a little crazy!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 06:34:26 AM »

A pair of ear plugs or walkmen can help stop the problem you are having. Try talking to the old farts.tell those old farts to get a life. This is what I think of them  [smiley=Clown.gif] [smiley=Clown.gif] [smiley=Clown.gif] [smiley=Clown.gif]
nothing but a bunch of clown. I would ride my atv before the cops get to where your riding. Then put your atv away wait until the cops are gone then ride out again. after a couple of times they will not come back [smiley=Cool.gif]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:13:05 AM by dirty2 » Logged
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 07:14:10 AM »

if the neighbor aint got the balls to come and talk to you directly and work out a compromise before they call the cops I would not even bother talking to them. some people need to get a life. they move out to the country and still think they live in the city. they sit in there house all day becuase they have no life and are just jealous that someone living around them is having fun and they are not. THere are also folks that live to stir trouble for others.

TEll your buddy to invite everyone from this site for an atv rodeo one day. That would be cool.  

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
gofastmatt2

Just 4 fun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 08:23:59 AM »

Hey Don that's pretty funny.
wilburz
Supreme Member

Tastes like chicken!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 08:30:49 AM »

Maybe start playing SlipKnot or Pantera albums outside your house all f-in day. Or maybe the sounds of rabbits being slaughtered! The neighbors might not think the atvs sound that bad after all.    

1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler
Deadmullet

Reality Is An Illusion Caused By Lack Of Alcohol

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 09:07:24 AM »

I live in Jupiter farms and have had PBSO at my house before because of riding atv's. I was cutting down trees and dragging them to the road with the 4-wheelers but according to PBSO their is alway's a noise ordinance in effect but playing loud music and having a keg party is different than "engine noise". If you have a live band plaing in your frony yard then yes you can get a noise ordinance ticket, But if it is engine noise which technically is noise you cannot control then it is legal. They told me as long as i am on MY property i can ride my 4-wheeler as long as i want. (Granted they did not have any exhaust mods either Roll Eyes). dont let them see tire tracks on the dirt road in front of your house though!! even just turning around.

you said they were Jupiter cops though right? if he is inside of the town of jupiter's city limits then all bets might be off.

City has many more noise reg's than county does.

hope this helps  

05' Foreman 500 S
26" ITP type 5/ 589's
K&n air filter,HMF utility,Dynojet kit,leakshield
Stik Guards,Front bash plate
Snorkit Snorkel
Ram"beverage"holder
yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 11:20:27 AM »

I would check and see if there is a noise ordinance in your area. It may be that you can even get a permit for the weekend and still ride if they do. I live in the city and they have a noise ordinance at night but you can go to the city hall and purchase a party permit and play your music all night long if you want to. Imagine that. I would check the statute and ordinances to see how they are worded and you may find out that its to your advantage and you may be able to make all the noise you want, when you want. Plus, if its a noise ordinance then I would think that they must have a decibel limit and without checking the decibels, they may not can enforce the ordinance. My two cents.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com