Home ATV Florida Forum ATV Florida Where to Ride? ATV Florida Links Advertise

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The media against us ATV'S  (Read 3884 times)
Thrumud
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2005, 09:11:16 PM »

(This is not a local news ad )

By Doug Morris
April 14, 2005 – ATVs kill youth! Something must be done!

At least, that is what local and national media is reporting. They make it sound like accidents and fatalities are out of control and nobody is doing anything about it! Nothing could be farther from the truth.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently released its 2003 Annual Report of ATV Deaths and Injuries, the latest figures available. The report states facts, not opinions, in black and white for all to read.

It says that in 2002 there were 473 ATV-related deaths nationwide, and in 2003 there were 407 deaths. Now, you don’t have to be a math major to figure out that the number of ATV-related deaths has gone down, period.

Hmm, maybe I missed something. Let’s see what the numbers say for children under the age of 16.

For 2002 they list 121 deaths, and for 2003 they list 111. I still can’t seem to come up with any numbers to substantiate the claims of the media.

As I dig a little deeper into the report I see that there were 5.5 million four-wheeled ATVs in use in 2002, and for 2003 there were 6.2 million.

Let’s see. That means there are more ATVs in use, fewer deaths, fewer youth deaths, and yet the media still reports that ATVs are killing our youth.

If you would like your very own copy of the CPSC report to use the next time you are confronted by the media, or you're attending a local meeting to restrict the use of ATVs on your own property or in your community, just go to: www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA05/brief/ATV2003.pdf.

After you print out a copy, make an extra copy to give to the anti-ATV crowd. I doubt they will read it, but at least you gave them the info.

I don’t want you to think for a minute that adults and kids aren’t getting hurt or killed riding ATVs, however. They are, and even one death is one too many.

What can we all do to continue to reduce injuries and deaths, while having fun? Most of you are already doing it: wear your helmet, ride with a buddy, say ``no'' to carrying passengers, ride sober, protect your eyes and body, minimize exhaust sound levels, stay on the trail, supervise young and inexperienced riders, ride within your skills, show respect for others, and tread lightly.

One of the most important things to do is take a training course. Or, better yet, become a licensed instructor and help others become more responsible riders. The rewards are fantastic, accidents go down, deaths continue to go down and we keep the trails we have.

If you’re not the instructor type, maybe you have or know of a small piece of land that can be used for training classes.

Who do you call? The ATV Safety Institute at (800) 887-2887. Tell them ATVA sent you.

© 2005, All Terrain Vehicle Association

yunt2ride
Supreme Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:24:07 AM »

This is good info. Maybe good for a sticky. Everyone should email the link to any local newspapers that writes bad about ATVs.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo
bftclub

where's the mud at?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »

hmmm.........drugs kill,speeding kills,heck if you end up in the wrong area of miami you may get shot..for a dollar,cuz some crack junkie needs a fix...think cops should spend more time cleaning up the streets and let us play in the dirt,we aren't hurting anyone
MadMudder
Supreme Member

Semper Fi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 08:39:06 PM »

Cars hurt people lets write bad about them. it is sad.. just plain sad

2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..
dirty2

a little crazy!!!!!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 06:32:24 AM »

More people/family die in car's
They should write atv's are killers stay inside your houses before they come and get you.What they should write is people are not responsible that's why they die on atv's
[smiley=lecture.gif] [smiley=lecture.gif] [smiley=lecture.gif]
americanhighlander
Supreme Member

I love boating and fourwheeling,salt water fishing

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 09:18:58 AM »

Huh  sounds like some kids  were  on side main  major roads thats maybe why acting  kind of dumb of there selfs.I read the newspapers  in live oak last year and they where  2 people were kill on atvs last year.

1.A cop was  riding over on hwy90 between welborn and he was on side of road and didn't see  big pine tree and went on side road and got killed by semi truck.Thats was kind of dumb someone  did that and won't ride on big major hwy like thats kind of crazy stuff  what he did. Angry

2.On cr137 and  cr 252  on 12 mile mark outside lake city
and it was 10year old boy riding over  by cr137 and cutting across road and got hit by semi truck and flew 6feet in air and he was rush to shands hopistal in gainesville  and die the next morning.Rule number one he shouldn't been on cr137 and he shouldn't cross that road and didn't look both ways before cross the road.thats what happens to dumb people don't understands of their selfs of risk of dangers atvs and they are not toys. Smiley Wink Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 09:20:41 AM by americanhighlander » Logged

http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/3/W/10000000bb75877/1/320/C3zfUOyy7z9lkQxLVEpqAid4fox1Ohlr.jpg(I always say:Ride Harder Let Your freedom Go!!)
I'm a goat farmer live on 8acrefarmlivingwith my parents.http://www.youtube.com/foxman362
COOLRAUL n DOXANNE

YAMAHA GRIZZLY 660

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 06:42:36 PM »

There are more people killed each day in automobile, and street bike accidents than atv riders in one year. The media is always trying to brain wash us with there b s.

02 GRIZZLY 660 / 28' outlaws/ snorkels/ supertrapp pipe/3000lb Winch
mudsplasher

Finally, ATVFlorida.com is here!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 06:12:14 AM »

someone should take the media to a safe riding area for a day and show them how much fun it is and how safe atv's r and put them on the bike and let them go thru mud and trails  maybe they will write an artickle of how much fun they r and safe

we have 2-2004 bombadairs 200 rallys 2x4, and 1 -2004 bombadair 330 outlander  4x4  im 45 hubby 58 and son is 10th  grader
soon to b 1 rally and 1 outlander
Gamer

Yamaha 350cc Wolverine 4*4

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 10:36:48 AM »

ATV's are safer than Motorcycles.  If you drive an ATV or any vehicle out of control it is no longer safe.  It's all in how you drive it and there are alot of people in this world that are bad drivers.  Don't blame the ATV, blame the person driving it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com